Speedometer Problems!

Search this Thread

Old October 1st, 2008, 02:11 AM

Speedometer Problems!

Hi

About a year or so ago I purchased a 1970 Toronado, anyway its been sitting in my garage since and I have decided that I would like to get the thing on the road. So that being said one of my numerous problems is that the speedometer will not go any further that 10 miles an hour. If any one has had this problem before or has some sort of solution I would very much like to hear.

Thanks
Old October 1st, 2008, 05:15 AM

Matt,
Does you car have cruise control? If so then the gears in the regulator could be stripped.
If not, or that is ok, then it looks like it is time to pull the speedo out and see it you can stick a coffee stir stick in the cable hole and try spinning it to see if you can make it go faster. Check for smoothness, too. A variable speed drill checked to the stir stick can work IF you are careful!
If it still stuck at 10mph, it is time open it up to check for mechanical obstructions, or send it to a speedo repair place that specializes in old cars. I am sure someone here can recommend a place.
Old October 1st, 2008, 07:22 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Matt,
Does you car have cruise control? If so then the gears in the regulator could be stripped.
If not, or that is ok, then it looks like it is time to pull the speedo out and see it you can stick a coffee stir stick in the cable hole and try spinning it to see if you can make it go faster. Check for smoothness, too. A variable speed drill checked to the stir stick can work IF you are careful!
If it still stuck at 10mph, it is time open it up to check for mechanical obstructions, or send it to a speedo repair place that specializes in old cars. I am sure someone here can recommend a place.
It's also possible that the plastic gears in the trans that drive the speedo are stripped. This often happens when the speedo cable starts to go bad and drags in the housing, which loads the teeth on these plastic gears.
Old October 1st, 2008, 12:21 PM

I removed the cable from the transmission and put a drill to it but I still get the same thing.
Old October 1st, 2008, 12:45 PM
Oldsdruid

Make sure the speedometer end of the cable is secure in the back of the speedometer head. It's held in by a tension clip. You may be able to access it from behind, but a Toro dash cluster is not difficult to loosen and tilt forward for access.

Does the odometer advance properly? If it does, cable is not at fault. It's the magnets in the speedometer head.
Old October 1st, 2008, 09:30 PM

yes it still advances properly. its not the cable as i put a new one in so this means its the speedo itself? If so where do I begin to remove the thing. I know this going to be incredibly hard.