"The shiny's all gone!"

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2012, 10:18 AM
Got wood? I do! (an '89)

"The shiny's all gone!"

Seems that my kids like to see "Angie" (my '89 Custom Cruiser) in tip-top shape as much as I do, and thanks to their eagle-eyes--and their sitting in the back seat where I never go--they spotted a problem:

All (or nearly so) of the Mylar-like "chrome" trim on her interior door panels is either peeling or been-peeled.

[I didn't know if I needed to add a photo but if I do, let me know...]

It's literally like shiny Scotch tape that peels off with no encouragement, and it leaves the rounded "bead" of the underlying trim intact (in matte gray instead of shiny silver).

My crafty wife mentioned using silver leaf (paint on glue, press on leaf) or adhesive-backed silver foil ("tape" on, cut to fit), but I figured I'd ask here and see if there's a better (or at least easier) solution than using her scrapbooking supplies on my car.

Thanks!
Old May 16th, 2012, 10:46 AM

Before I got my license...

as a kid before i got my license, I used to love to build car models and "soup" them up, kit bash etc, and i used a foil from this company to make chrome parts http://www.bare-metal.com/bare-metal-foil.html it is VERY thin and does look like chrome, however I am not sure it is durable, I have also seen some remarkable finishes using paint, I also did a quick search and found this for you hope it helps

http://www.finishing.com/264/15.shtml