Reupholstering

Search this Thread

Old February 14th, 2008, 02:16 PM

Reupholstering

I'm looking for some advice. '67 Olds Delmont Conv't. I've been pricing getting the front and rear seats(both bench seats) re-done. Some of the quotes have made my jaw drop. Keep in mind that I have the material on hand. So, my thoughts are to remove the original covers, take/ship it somewhere and have them make the exact copy. My question is 1)How hard is it to put new covers on? 2) Can the pattern of the originals be used as a template to make new ones? Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it would maybe take a weekend day to complete.

thanx
Old February 14th, 2008, 02:39 PM

I had my front and back 66 Sfire seats redone as per original in black vinyl.....no new foaming was done to the seats just the covers constructed and installed...it was somewhere around 1200 bucks. My thoughts on sending the originals out for duplication are that maybe over time some things have shrunk or stretched and the covers may not fit right....I also believe that the originals wont come off the seats without some destruction. In my opinion its better to let the shop struggle with this and the hassle.
Old February 14th, 2008, 03:52 PM
1915 and 46-48 Olds pro.

Originally Posted by bmwashington
I'm looking for some advice. '67 Olds Delmont Conv't. I've been pricing getting the front and rear seats(both bench seats) re-done. Some of the quotes have made my jaw drop.
(Ya think that's bad, how about 6K to 10K for a radiator, and you have 4 of them and they all leak! or no distributor caps to be found to make your engine go and $150+ for a rotor)

Keep in mind that I have the material on hand. So, my thoughts are to remove the original covers, take/ship it somewhere and have them make the exact copy.
Do-able.

My question is 1)How hard is it to put new covers on?
Difficulty - not bad... but requires patience and you must be fussy for it to turn out right. there will be pullin, tuggin, and slappin the material to get it to lay correctly but a basic upholstery book will show you how to hogring your covers back on. and if you are careful in the removal, there is not a lot of distruction. The fit will be super tight to prevent wrinkles in your seats, so if it seems like it wont go on... it will but patience is key.

2) Can the pattern of the originals be used as a template to make new ones? Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it would maybe take a weekend day to complete.
The answer here is yes... the old ones can make great patterns... as for time frame....

well, for any part of a restoration... Good Fast and Cheap... pick any two. If you want it good and cheap, it may take you some time... a weekend day... maybe.... a long weekend (for a first timer) is more realistic.

all the best.
Old February 15th, 2008, 06:49 AM

Thanx for the advice. I think I'll wait until the weather breaks and I can do it outside in the warm sun. In the meantime, I can begin the search to find someone to fab new covers.

BTW, nice web site!