Repop.armrest problems

Search this Thread

Old October 2nd, 2018, 05:14 AM

Repop.armrest problems

Bought set of front armrests from Tamraz in March 2018 for 72 W30.Finally got around to putting them on after installing new Legendary door panels and chrome backing plate the other day.They don't come close to fitting as the armrest will not line up or sit flush against the backing plate because the plastic protrusions on the back of the armrest that are supposed to sit in the cutouts on the backing plate are not even the same shape or size.Even grinding it down is close but not right...and I really did not plan on having to do that with a new part that's supposed to fit.Next surprise-the holes that the armrest bolts go through are not drilled at the right angle and are not deep enough for the screws to even catch the metal of the door by about 3/4".And yes,I am using the original factory screws,2 long ones and 1 shorter one.Originals are decent but starting to get chalky if you scratch with fingernail.Never expected so much trouble for an armrest.Anyone ever have problems with new armrests or reccomendations on the best ones to get other than NOS?Called Tamraz and they said they never had problems with them.Really?
Old October 2nd, 2018, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by turbo737
Bought set of front armrests from Tamraz in March 2018 for 72 W30.Finally got around to putting them on after installing new Legendary door panels and chrome backing plate the other day.They don't come close to fitting as the armrest will not line up or sit flush against the backing plate because the plastic protrusions on the back of the armrest that are supposed to sit in the cutouts on the backing plate are not even the same shape or size.Even grinding it down is close but not right...and I really did not plan on having to do that with a new part that's supposed to fit.Next surprise-the holes that the armrest bolts go through are not drilled at the right angle and are not deep enough for the screws to even catch the metal of the door by about 3/4".And yes,I am using the original factory screws,2 long ones and 1 shorter one.Originals are decent but starting to get chalky if you scratch with fingernail.Never expected so much trouble for an armrest.Anyone ever have problems with new armrests or reccomendations on the best ones to get other than NOS?Called Tamraz and they said they never had problems with them.Really?

This brought back some memories from my resto several years ago. I worked late in the garage on the interior. About ready to go in and call it a night when I thought, might as well put the armrests on. How long can that take?. About 2-3 hrs later I gave up for the night, for all the same reasons you just described. Especially the angle of the screw holes. I think mine came from TPP. I finally modified them to fit but that simple job was a bear to complete.
Old October 2nd, 2018, 08:01 PM

Very typical problem with repro armrest bases......have had to deal with the same thing.

Good luck finding any NOS units.

Best bet is to find some clean originals and paint/dye them whatever color you need. The best condition originals are usually black as those seemed to survive the best (more stable pigments). Make sure you get GOOD pictures (or see them in person) and make sure they weren't cleaned and wiped with ArmorAll, etc before the pics are taken....ArmorAll, etc will hide the "chalky" condition in the pics.

What color is your interior?

If an "original" look matters to you then you should also avoid the repro armrest PADS....they are too tall compared to the originals. Get decent used pads and have them recovered with the correct color/grain vinyl.

Tamraz's reply is no surprise....that's what all the vendors say when they hear the "these don't fit right" complaint. They always say "That's the first time we've heard of that". Welcome to the repro auto parts world.

Last edited by 70Post; October 2nd, 2018 at 08:04 PM.
Old October 2nd, 2018, 09:31 PM

Repop. armrest problems

Yup,that's exactly what I thought...was working late and figured I would call it a night and install the armrest and call it a good night of "visual progress" but surely was mistaken.I am still amazed at how far off they are but yet they sell crap like that.I am aware of the new reproduction pads being a little higher than the original and just may reuse the old ones as they are not really too bad.The car has a black interior and the original armrests really are not in bad shape but scratched real easy with a fingernail.They are not real chalky but getting there.I have found that when they get like that and you repaint/dye them they look great but the paint still scratches right off.Sanding them down and repainting/dyeing works but you lose the original grain on different areas.Original armrests that are being sold on Ebay are usually in the same or worse condition than what I already have...that's why they are selling them.I understand most reproduction parts have to be "McGyvered or massaged"a little but these are a NO GO item.Thanks for the replies.
Old October 3rd, 2018, 06:12 AM

You can probably find better condition parts, or at least more honest descriptions, here. Post over in the parts wanted section.

Oddly, all my 71/72 cars used three very long screws for the armrest. They have a self-drilling tip. I usually end up with one door lining up perfectly on the first try and the other door takes about a half hour. Note that the plastic casting just might not let the screw settle all the way down to where it's supposed to sit inside the armrest.
Old October 3rd, 2018, 09:31 AM
Administrator

Refer to post #28. Yours are probably the same as alot of these parts places carry the same items.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...roduction.html
Old October 3rd, 2018, 07:24 PM

Just be REAL specific and persistent with asking questions. There's bound to be someone out there with some very nice ORIGINAL black armrest bases that will STAND BEHIND them (in terms of being super nice).

As already mentioned, beware of "armoralled" bases and it's probably best to demand bases that haven't been painted/dyed. It sucks buying some stuff based on pics and sellers' descriptions/promises sometimes.....you have to find a seller that knows what to look for and is on the same "wavelength" as you in terms of expectations.

I may have a spare pair of nice ones myself......will have to check the inventory.