Removing panels

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2008, 05:29 AM

Removing panels

Josh's '66 F85 is the 2 door post. The rear windows roll down, but one of them is off it's track, so we need to get down in there to see what's the matter. Anyway, to do that we need to remove the panels under the windows, and to do that we need to get the handles off which roll the window up and down.

Do those handles simply slide on over some splines, or is there a clip holding them on? If a clip, how do you get it off? I cannot see anything by pushing the panel in, as it does not move far. I remember my '57 Chevy had clips kind of like heavyduty staples with bent sides - you just had to grab the spine and pull and they slid off.
Old May 7th, 2008, 07:25 AM
Past Administrator

There is a clip. The mechanism has a splined post that the handle fits over, there is a groove cut all the way around the post that the clip engages. This clip is shaped like, and is called, a C clip. You can purchase a special tool to remove the clip from almost any auto parts store or you can use one end of a handle off a small pair of pliers like needle nose pliers but it must not have the rubber grip on it and must be curved. I did that for a long time, but the tool is pretty cheap. Anyway, you slide the tool under the handle and push the clip out the opposite side, depending on how it was last installed, away from the crank portion, or toward it. Did I make sense?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
image_resize.asp.jpeg (8.9 KB, 105 views)
Old May 7th, 2008, 09:37 AM

sping hook will do the same thing with no chance of tearing the vinyl.
Old May 7th, 2008, 11:51 AM

The image Dan provided is a good one. The tool slips between the handle and the big plastic washer (if it is still there) as in the picture.

For reassembly, the clip fits back on over the "pointed" section of the handle shaft and you just pop the handle back onto the regulator shaft.
Remember to add the washer first (if it was there).

If you have a Harbor Freight store nearby, you can get a whole set of auto trim tools (that include this needed one) for under 5-6 bucks.

After doing all of my doors and quarters, it was deemed a sanity saver.

I bet one of the window rollers broke like they commonly do. Can you pop off the door jamb vent? You may be able to replace the forward roller through there (at least I was able to on my '72...)
Old May 7th, 2008, 02:16 PM

Thanks for the replies. Sounds pretty much like what my Chevy was like.
Old May 7th, 2008, 03:56 PM

Post Online service manual

If you don't already have a copy of your own, I recommend you check out the online version of the 1966 Fisher body manual here: http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/m...966/index.html

It's got a diagram of the window roller handle and instructions for complete window removal. Just be sure you're looking at the right set of instructions. The manual covers every model and body type, so it is (necessarily) filled with info that is not applicable to your car.

Good Luck.

Mister