Refurbishing a '67 heater box...need to remove flapper doors

Search this Thread

Old October 6th, 2010, 08:45 PM

Refurbishing a '67 heater box...need to remove flapper doors

I need to clean up and refurbish a standard heater box for my '67. The foam on the flapper doors is dry-rotted and mostly missing, so they need to be replaced. Here's a shot of the flapper door on the removed heater box:

If I only had to replace the foam on this front side it wouldn't be too hard a task, but there's also foam on the back side, and I have no way of getting to it. I was thinking I could just remove the door by pulling the hinge pin. Here are two shots of the top of the hinge pin for that flapper door. The second shot is after removing the cable hardware:

There's a small black plastic tube on the lower part of the hinge pin, so I carefully pushed it off the pin with a screwdriver:

I was thinking I could then just slide the pin out the top and remove the door. However, the pin doesn't seem to want to come out. I tried gently tapping it with a small hammer, but it didn't budge...and I didn't want to start beating on it without getting some advice. I'm not sure if it's just rust/corrosion that's keeping it in, or if it's even supposed to come out at all. Shouldn't I be able to slide the hinge pin out? If so, is it just a matter of trying to get some PB Blaster down the pin to break it loose?
Old October 7th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Registered car nut

I don't see the details your after but thought I'd post this anyway.

http://www.jefflilly.com/Finished_Wo...-heat-box.html

Hope it helps
Old October 8th, 2010, 05:54 AM

Thanks for posting that. It does at least show that the hinge pins are removable. Now to get it done without damaging them.