Rear bench size 1972 cutlass

Search this Thread

Old November 15th, 2022, 02:23 PM

Rear bench size 1972 cutlass

I want to order new seat covers for my 1972 Cutlass Supreme. The rear bench apparently comes in 4 different sizes. Convertible, "S", Sedan and Supreme. The problem is I am trying to match the front buckets, which are a Dark Saddle from a 442. As far as I know Dark saddle was only available in the "S" model Cutlass. I need to know the difference between the "S" and the Supreme. If they are narrower, maybe I could live with that difference.
Can anyone help me?
Old November 15th, 2022, 04:46 PM

If you are ordering them, can't they make what you want? Call 'em up!
Old November 15th, 2022, 04:56 PM

No difference in width between the supreme and "S". The only difference is the pattern of the upholstery. Also, the "S" and 442 used the same pattern. On the other hand, convertible and sedan seats are different widths from the "S" and supreme seat frame. As it happens, I am currently recovering the rear seat for my holiday coupe. The car did not have a rear seat when I bought it. After gathering parts for years, I am finally getting it together. Along the way, I picked up a supreme rear seat to use. I just installed the black 71 "S"/ 442 covers on them this week so they are absolutely the same.

I think there is a difference in the lower rear frames between the seats used in 72 cars with retractable seat belts and the earlier cars with with non retracting belts. The later cars got seats with cutout sections to allow room for the retractors:

Compared to the 71 supreme seat I started with for my holiday coupe:

I could be wrong about that, but I know that the lower section of the supreme seat would not fit in my car with the retractable seat belts installed.

Old November 15th, 2022, 07:50 PM

Thanks for the feedback. My car is also a Holiday coupe, so your information answers my question and helps me a lot. I can now proceed with some confidence, to order the dark saddle rear bench cover from an "S" type cutlass. The rear bench is original to the car without retractable belts, so there should be no issues with that.
Thanks again, much appreciated.
Old November 16th, 2022, 07:36 AM

FYI, if your car is a holiday coupe then it is not a supreme. The supreme is the "notchback" style body and would have covers like the blue one in my post above. The holiday coupe is the "fastback" "S" and 442 body style and has seat covers like the one shown below.

Supreme

Holiday coupe "S" & 442

Old November 16th, 2022, 01:39 PM

Thanks for clearing that up for me. The whole time I've had the car I thought the body style (Notchback) was the Holiday Coupe. So based on your previous note, I shouldn't have an issue with the seat covers.
Old November 16th, 2022, 03:47 PM

Good looking car and yes, either way the seat cover should fit.