rear bench seat removal

Search this Thread

Old June 19th, 2012, 04:37 PM

rear bench seat removal

I am working on a 66 cutlass convertible. I am trying to work on the hydraulic lines for the top but the rear seat is in the way. I know it should be a relatively easy task but I don't know where the mounting bolts/screws are, or the proper way to remove it without damaging the upholstery. thanks in advance for the help.
Old June 19th, 2012, 04:53 PM

simply put your hands near the bottom of the seat where it meets the floor and push the seat straight toward the trunk really hard. It only has to move about 1/2" and then lift up on the front of the seat. Ok, maybe a little more than 1/2" but that should do it. Good Luck
Old June 19th, 2012, 04:54 PM
Ben

rear seat bottom:
push straight down, and with your knees, push in (towards the rear of the car) it will pop up. Repeat on both sides of the car (there is a little latch on the floor on each side)

lift the bottom up and out of the car.

Rear upper seat:
with the rear bottom out- you now have access to the two bolts that hold the rear down. They will be visible under the seat where the lower seat would have covered them. There will also be two metal taps, one on each side holding it in place.

With the tabs un bent & the bolts out, tip the bottom out a few inches, then push the whole cusion straight up- it should come loose. There are 3 fingers on the rear wall that the cushion sits on.

Lift it up and out.
Old June 19th, 2012, 05:53 PM

Thanks I will try it tomorrow, I haven't been able to get a good look at the hydraulic system so this will be a huge roadblock out of the way.
Old June 23rd, 2012, 05:12 PM

I pulled the seat and found a crack in one of the hydraulic lines. The other lines are hard but intact, I'm just wondering if I should replace all the lines or just the cracked one.