Quieting 1966 Big cars...

Search this Thread

Old July 28th, 2009, 09:03 AM

Quieting 1966 Big cars...

All,
I'm just sort of getting into a 2 car project on quieting down my 66 Starfire & 66 98 convertible.

Last night I ripped out 20 year old cut pile auto carpet, cleaned up the trunk with lacquer thinner & alcohol and laid down a trunkful of Dynamat Extreme (butyl, not asphalt) sound deadener. Very happy with the result so far.

Inside happily no surprises - nothing more than surface rust and pretty smelly old factory black sound deadener of some kind. Shop vacc'ed the heck out of the valleys on the sides of the trunk pan to get 44 years of accumulated cr*p out of there. Found an old bottle opener from my younger days & various random coins & stuff.

I also got 6 yards of foam backed simple gray headliner material as a new trunk carpet replacement, but haven't glued it in 'cause I'm not sure I'll like it. But ya can't go wrong for $50.00 for 6 yards of materials. If I like it, I'll just 3M spray glue it in over the deadener.

The general plan is to put Dynamat Extreme or other buytl based sound deadener in the top well, rear quarters, doors, floors & firewall.

Dynamat's expensive stuff, but I had it lying around, so I thought I'd test it. The question now is whether a cheaper butyl based product will adhere & deaden as well for less $. Should I just finish it out, prob'ly for a couple hundred bucks? I don't want asphalt or roofing material since I'm afraid it might stink badly on hot days and or lose adhesion.

Also what order should I go in from here on the dynamat -- doors next? Top well next? Floors & Firewall next? What have you done/ or would you do? Which sections are the biggest bang for the buck?

Looking forward to your wisdom

Cheers
cf
Old July 28th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Purveyor of Polyurethane

I used FatMat extreme that I bought on ebay. Seems to be very comparable to Dynamat for a lot less $$.