new door panels -preassembled or not?

Search this Thread

Old March 16th, 2018, 12:22 PM

new door panels -preassembled or not?

I am looking to do redo much of my interior . The previous owner painted the panels from dark green to black. He kind of mucked it up by spraying over some of the chrome and just didnt do a great job. So I am looking at some new door panels. I noticed there is a substantial difference in price between the two. My question is has anyone done the unassembled ones and what was the result? Just trying to decide if the unassembled ones are worth the savings. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by budg; March 16th, 2018 at 12:30 PM.
Old March 16th, 2018, 01:48 PM
Randy C.

In restoring both a '68 and a '69, I found the assembled door panels very easy to work with. I've messed around with the window sweepers in the past and it's kind of a pain working with the heavy duty staples they have. Upper reinforcements can also be an issue if you/the upholsterer doesn't assemble them correctly. I believe it's worth the extra money.

Randy C.
Old March 16th, 2018, 01:52 PM

I wish Door Panels for my 66 came pre-assembled. As mentioned, the fuzzies are a PITA to align and attach. I would have gone that direction if I could have.
Old March 16th, 2018, 01:57 PM

Smile door panels

Go pre assembled and go Legendary Auto Interiors save yourself some grief
Alain
Old March 17th, 2018, 03:49 AM

Thanks guys. You confirmed what I thought . Preassembled it is.
Old March 17th, 2018, 12:16 PM

I'm considering doing the same. With Legendary, I was told that you must provide them with your existing front door panel rails for them to assemble the new door panels upholstery. I asked my interior guy (who installed Legendary upholstery that I provided on my f & r seats) if he would assemble Legendary door panels. He said he would, but cautioned that he needed the entire car (not just my existing door panels) to make sure the application of the new door panel would fit correctly. (The interior shop is a highly experienced shop.)
Old May 1st, 2018, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Toms cutlass
I'm considering doing the same. With Legendary, I was told that you must provide them with your existing front door panel rails for them to assemble the new door panels upholstery. I asked my interior guy (who installed Legendary upholstery that I provided on my f & r seats) if he would assemble Legendary door panels. He said he would, but cautioned that he needed the entire car (not just my existing door panels) to make sure the application of the new door panel would fit correctly. (The interior shop is a highly experienced shop.)
I just redid my 1971 Supreme Conv with Ledgendary and I ordered the front panels can be ordered assemble with the rails. However the rears they offer do not and you either send your old rear rails to Legendary and they will assemble them for you or do it yourself, It did take about 8 weeks to get the panels.