Making a tilt floor shift column

Search this Thread

Old March 3rd, 2012, 10:55 AM

Making a tilt floor shift column

I have two steering columns both are column shifters, one is a tilt out of a 1971 Buick Riviera, the other is a 70 cutlass column. I plan to take the tilt off the Buick (it is 2 inches longer) and install it on the Olds column, also want to replace the cover that holds the shift handle, with a cover for a floor shift car. Does anyone make those covers?
Thanks Tom
Old March 3rd, 2012, 11:09 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by smietana
I have two steering columns both are column shifters, one is a tilt out of a 1971 Buick Riviera, the other is a 70 cutlass column. I plan to take the tilt off the Buick (it is 2 inches longer) and install it on the Olds column, also want to replace the cover that holds the shift handle, with a cover for a floor shift car. Does anyone make those covers?
Thanks Tom
I'm pretty sure you cannot do the swap you are suggesting. For starters, the entire upper end of the column is different between the tilt and non-tilt columns. All you would be doing is removing the lower tube from the Olds column and installing it on the Buick. Unfortunately, the center shafts are also different between tilt and non-tilt, so you'd also need to swap those, which results in a center shaft that is still 2" too long.
Old March 3rd, 2012, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I'm pretty sure you cannot do the swap you are suggesting. For starters, the entire upper end of the column is different between the tilt and non-tilt columns. All you would be doing is removing the lower tube from the Olds column and installing it on the Buick. Unfortunately, the center shafts are also different between tilt and non-tilt, so you'd also need to swap those, which results in a center shaft that is still 2" too long.
I was hoping that wasn't the case, are all tilts longer?
Old March 3rd, 2012, 12:45 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by smietana
I was hoping that wasn't the case, are all tilts longer?
No, all columns from full size cars are longer than those from A-body cars.