Locked Glovebox, no key

Search this Thread

Old June 1st, 2010, 02:39 PM
Green Horn

Locked Glovebox, no key

What is the best way to get into the glove box and remove the lock without damaging the compartment. I'd like to remove the lock entirely and put a new one in, with a key.

When I purchased the car, I only received the main key, I have already replaced the trunk lock
Old June 1st, 2010, 03:33 PM

maybe the key is in the glovebox?
Old June 1st, 2010, 04:33 PM

I don't see how you can open the glove box without damage. What you can do however is go under the dash and cut through the box itself. With the box out of the way I believe u can release the lock from inside with a screwdriver. You can then purchase, for fairly reasonable price, a replacement box.
Old June 1st, 2010, 05:30 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Double ball pick and a tension wrench. It will take you about 3 minutes.
http://www.lockpickshop.com/SP-04.html
Old June 1st, 2010, 06:21 PM
Green Horn

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
Double ball pick and a tension wrench. It will take you about 3 minutes.
http://www.lockpickshop.com/SP-04.html

Awesome thanks man!

Says I have to order at least $10, I can't find $10 worth of stuff to purchase
Old June 1st, 2010, 06:22 PM
Green Horn

Is it possible to drill the lock out? I have no experience with this, but I'm assuming you just drill straight down the center?
Old June 1st, 2010, 07:03 PM

I'm thinking cut the box away from under the dash & remove the screws from the striker. Seems to me you can access them, even if it starts out as a quarter turn @ a time w/ a wrench - 1/4 or 5/16, don't remember for sure. Once you get them loose probably will unscrew w/ fingers. Then you just buy a new box for $15 or whatever they cost. Might also have access to the hinge screws as an alternative.
Old June 1st, 2010, 07:39 PM

Evening Mauls...
May sound overly simple but how about contacting a good ol' locksmith. Not the Home Depo / Lowes variety as they are key cutters and not much more. Instead look in your town for a traditional locksmith... I've used them to open locks in all sorts of scenarios. As long as you are the "owner" of the lock they'll probably have a way to pick it!
Just a thought... Good luck!
Artdlr
Old June 1st, 2010, 08:09 PM

It is also possible to pick a simple lock with a paper clip and a small screw driver. Use the screw driver to put a slight pressure on on the lock by inserting it just slightly and turning it in the unlock direction. Simultaneously use the clip to push up on the key tumblers. The pressure of the screw driver will hold each tumbler in place as u work toward back of lock. When u get last tumbler in place the lock will simple turn from the pressure of screw driver. Have personally picked lots of simple lockes like this. I can't imaginet that a glove box has a complex locking mechanism.

That said.......per my first recommendation cutting away the box from under dash is easy and quick. Getting a new box is also cheap and the install very easy.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 03:05 AM

The trunk lock is the same as the glove box lock, right? Then the code for both locks is on the outer shell of each lock...so if you have carefully kept your old lock in a safe place simply take it out and observe the code and get a new key cut...and the door locks should be the same if you have lost the old trunk lock...do the key cutting thing at the dealers- they know what the codes mean
Old June 3rd, 2010, 12:09 PM
Green Horn

I'm not sure what you all mean by cutting the box? Do you mean cutting the dash out, or cutting underneath the dash? I'm having trouble finding a new box for a 1965 Jetstar 88 (or delta88) so I don't want to damage it in anyway.

I may try and pick the lock, we'll see how that goes. The truck lock was missing when I bought the car, so I put a new trunk lock in, so I don't have the original key with the trunk either.

Here is what I'm working with.

Old June 3rd, 2010, 12:59 PM

I meant under the dash - where the bottom of the box should be accessible. In my 1970 the box is basically a hard cardboard. I can get to it under the dash (you may have to remove an air conditioner conduit if it is in the way. A short blade such as a dry wall knife would work best I think. If you can you might even try to cut on a seam or bend. That way you might even be able to repair the box afterward (with duct tape) on the outside so no one can see it.

I do believe that Fusick and the Parts Place both sell replacement boxes.

The lock is probably very simple so picking it should be relatively easy if you know the basics. If you don't I am sure you can find plenty of instruction if you google it. The only tools you'll need are a small screw driver and a stiff thin wire. Sometime a paper clip will work, but I find them a bit too bendy.

Now for the RECORD: I am not a profession thief! I just got curious one day and tried it. Ever since people have challenged me to prove it on various locks. I can pretty much get 75% of the locks they throw at me!
Old June 3rd, 2010, 02:27 PM

a true locksmith can unlock it in about 10 seconds.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 07:02 PM
Green Horn

Well after playing with it, i got it unlocked, but still couldn't get it open

I'm guessing the locking lever on the inside is stuck in the locked position, I will keep messing with it.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by coltsneckbob
It is also possible to pick a simple lock with a paper clip and a small screw driver....
Yup your from Joisey LOL....