interior rear panels for a conv. help please

Search this Thread

Old March 3rd, 2009, 12:03 AM

interior rear panels for a conv. help please

Hey everyone. i bought a 72 cutlass s convertible and i got it mostly in boxes. i should of known better but this has been a dream since i was 13.

Anyway im having a really fun time locating a used set of rear int panels. people only sell the covers. but the thing is the only thing back there are the seats. so i need the upper panel where the window crank is, the lower panel where the ash try and light are. plus the mounting bracket i seen in an ebay auction.

My question is does anyone know where i can get this stuff? or at least where i can get dimensions for the set up. im really good at fabricating things cause i do it for a living. but with no dimensions and just going off pictures isnt gonna get me the quality i want and am known for. any help is appreciated. or if some one close to stockton ca. has a set i can eye ball let me know. thanks in advance...............
Old March 3rd, 2009, 03:13 AM
Registered

Welcome. Those panels shoudn't be too hard to find. Post in parts wanted when you're off probation.
This guy Rob is very helpful and has an excellent thread on his '72 4-4-2 convertible interior makeover with a lot of info.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-makeover.html

The Parts Place has some panels like that? Just type in panel in the '72 'vert search.
There have been some bad experiences with them so beware and know exactly what you need and are getting if you do use them, other places may have those parts (if that's what you're looking for) too.

http://www.thepartsplaceinc.com/ocat...&YearList=1972

Allan

Last edited by Bluevista; March 3rd, 2009 at 03:16 AM. Reason: no coffee yet
Old March 3rd, 2009, 04:50 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to our site. funny I thought of Rob too! We get to know our people here for their specialties don't we? Good to have you here.
Old March 3rd, 2009, 05:57 AM

Cutlass Supreme in a box - just add $ and time!

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
funny I thought of Rob too

Okay, I have been summoned to speak out!

Welcome Formula! Time to empty the boxes and get this thing back together...

First though, please tell us about your car - what are your plans for it? Low budget, daily driver, good show car, don't care about $$?
What else need replacing? Want to have everything match and look like new or just get it drivable? What is the condition of door panels, carpet and seats? What color is the inside?

PUI is a little cheaper but not as original looking, Legendary is the best and I will stand by them - they will pass show judging if properly installed. If some thing is not right, they will make it right.
See my interior thread that Bluevista above typed in from memory.
See the second page for quarter info.

The Legendary "unassembled quarter panels" come with
the upholstery and the backing board. The top plastic rails would need to bought used (71-72). They would be difficult to form from scratch. They are not sold separately that I know of.

PUI sells an assembled set which includes is ready to install (comes with rail AND window felt. Do you need window felts? There are several styles available - I suggest buying them separately as a set so they all match.

As for the rear metal armrest / top cyl cover panels, seek them used in any color and reupholster them. I have not seen the metal convertible steel panels and if they are available, they may be costly. Get the vinyl covers the same time and place you get the quarter panels so the colors and styles match. Use GOOD brush on contact cement and take your time.
You will also need the rear armrest ashtrays and courtesy lights. These are available repro but the metal parts are a little costly.

Hopefully we can help make your dreams come true - just have patience...
Old March 4th, 2009, 01:22 AM

Id like to thank everyone for there responses i thought i was gonna have to do this project alone.

I was going to go with pui but i heard some stories about them doing searches. thanks for the tip on legendary. I will be purchasing everything all at once so theres no miss match. i need everything, i got the car striped bare bones with buckets just throwin in there. not even bolted down. at least i dont have to search for those. Im looking for fully assembled panels cause i want to invest my time in the engine and outer body. and trying to figure out where this bracket and that bolt go too.

My plans are ...... well as reciepts build up lets just say it changes often.
But seriously i want it too look mostly original. With few exceptions such as rims no bigger than 20 cause i want 245s or bigger tires in the back. True duals. It has a 350 that was supposidly rebuilt but when i took the radiator hose off (shop wanted front end taken off so they can replace the upper windshiled frame due to rust/rot) it threw out black water instead of green yay. checked my oil and it was watery but thats a whole diffrent subject. i was going to take off the two barrel anyway and swap the cam for that nice car almost shutting off at idle sound. have you seen gone in 60 sec. well the way that ford sounded i want mines to sound better.

Paint will be oil slick black with dark gray stripes on the new ram air hood im looking for. but i have been eyeing a nice dark red well see im not there yet still trying to find parts.

currently theres nothing back there besides the rear seats and a raw frame of the convertable top thats not even bolted down. so im gonna have lots of fun figuring out what goes where.

but im going to do this project right even if it means peanut butter sandwiches for a few months. You only live once and i want this to be clean and its going to be my weekend driver with a few trips to work so my coworkers can drool and enjoy as much as im hoping too.