Interior Carpets

Search this Thread

Old April 20th, 2022, 07:43 AM

Interior Carpets

Looking for a good quality interior carpet for my ‘70 W30. Any preferences on fit, finish and tailoring that needs to be done ? What are they going for these days ? Thanks.
Old April 20th, 2022, 12:26 PM

Just to be clear - I am looking for a brand new carpet such as what Legendary offers.
Old April 20th, 2022, 01:10 PM

I've only used in the past ACC carpets. Recently tried a Trim Parts black carpet. Fit better than the ACC set last used.
Old April 20th, 2022, 02:53 PM

Be sure its molded to fit. Many are not and a pain to install.
Old April 20th, 2022, 05:07 PM

ACC bought out Trim Parts carpet division in 2017 and moved it from Lebanon Ohio to ACC headquarters in Alabama.

Legendary sells ACC carpet. Regardless of the vendor that you buy from, it is likely ACC carpet and most likely drop shipped from ACC in Alabama. The difference is the price. ACC sells direct at retail. A vendor pays ACC wholesale prices and can sell it to you somewhere in between wholesale and retail prices.

Try Rock Auto for price. It will be ACC carpet drop shipped at a price discounted from retail.

Last edited by Tri-Carb; April 20th, 2022 at 05:38 PM.
Old April 20th, 2022, 07:07 PM
'72 Cutlass ragtop

I recently installed an ACC plush pile molded carpet set in my '72 ragtop - literally dropped into place after some minor edges trimming - I've used their OEM style loop carpet sets on prior project cars with similar results, so ACC a solid choice in my opinion
Old April 20th, 2022, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by 70sgeek
literally dropped into place after some minor edges trimming
This brought up a memory of carpet installation - cut the edges an inch or two wider than you think is needed (more is better), let it sit for a couple of weeks, then trim it to fit. When I installed mine, I cut it a bit wide, but it wasn't quite wide enough and it ended up with a half inch gap between the carpet edge and the kick panels. I had to use a strip of remnant to fill the gap.
Old April 20th, 2022, 07:41 PM
'72 Cutlass ragtop

Agree as to trimming on the wide margin until sure of your final fit.

I laid mine out in the sun for a couple of days after unpacking the box before beginning any install efforts. After that I simply laid it out in my gutted interior and trimmed it out as needed to fit properly under seats, panels and sills. Project all done over 1 weekend with no issues. I'd done 3 or 4 prior carpets over time so I'm pretty comfortable with it, but it can be a bit daunting to someone who hasn't done one.
Old April 28th, 2022, 06:41 AM

I used ACC carpet, my 70w car is a 4 speed, they sent me an automatic carpet. Upon calling them they had there tech call me back and tell me they sent auto carpet because it actually fits better than 4 speed carpets. I was skeptical but he told me exactly what to do, using a heat gun to form that little area around the porch and he assured me it would be a much better outcome than the factory four-speed ACC carpet. He even offered to send me the four-speed carpet if that’s what I wanted but explained that it’s not done well and it bunches up and does not lay down correctly around the shifter porch. I installed it , I did have to use a heat gun around there to get it to form and it laid down beautifully. Its a bit of a pain but they all are.. has already said, pull the carpet out and laid out in the sun for a few hours before attempting to install it measure three times cut once

Last edited by Andy; April 28th, 2022 at 06:44 AM.
Old April 28th, 2022, 07:18 AM
Escape From The Ordinary

Agree with everyone's perspective on the ACC carpet. It appears to be the "industry standard" in terms of muscle car carpeting. I posted a ton of pictures on my build thread of how to cut the carpet like the factory did so you don't have to worry about bunching up, etc. The carpet will "tuck in" after the seats have been installed when the cuts are done properly, and it makes a world of difference if you have to get at the console, shifter, etc. Good luck with your purchase.
Old April 28th, 2022, 07:38 AM

Great advice and tips on how to do the job right. Thanks guys.

Last edited by Bigmikey65; April 28th, 2022 at 09:14 AM.
Old April 28th, 2022, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Andy
I used ACC carpet, my 70w car is a 4 speed, they sent me an automatic carpet. Upon calling them they had there tech call me back and tell me they sent auto carpet because it actually fits better than 4 speed carpets. I was skeptical but he told me exactly what to do, using a heat gun to form that little area around the porch and he assured me it would be a much better outcome than the factory four-speed ACC carpet. He even offered to send me the four-speed carpet if that’s what I wanted but explained that it’s not done well and it bunches up and does not lay down correctly around the shifter porch. I installed it , I did have to use a heat gun around there to get it to form and it laid down beautifully. Its a bit of a pain but they all are.. has already said, pull the carpet out and laid out in the sun for a few hours before attempting to install it measure three times cut once
You would not believe how many years we told ACC that you had to use their auto carpet on a 4 speed GM A body before they caught on.
Old April 29th, 2022, 11:00 AM
Ben

FWIW, OPGI sells a 1 piece carpet set that is not made by ACC. Guessing its made by classic industries, but unsure.
I have not installed one, so no comments about fitment, but just that there is another option out there other than ACC.

I preferred the Trim Parts carpet sets to ACC, so it was too bad when they shut down. I actually thought Classic Industries bought them, not ACC... but that was just what i had heard, not gospel.

Old April 29th, 2022, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by RAMBOW
FWIW, OPGI sells a 1 piece carpet set that is not made by ACC. Guessing its made by classic industries, but unsure.
I have not installed one, so no comments about fitment, but just that there is another option out there other than ACC.

I preferred the Trim Parts carpet sets to ACC, so it was too bad when they shut down. I actually thought Classic Industries bought them, not ACC... but that was just what i had heard, not gospel.

OPGI lists on their own site that they sell ACC carpet:

https://www.opgi.com/brand/acc?fv=false

Maybe OPGI handles more that one brand?

I would be surprised if Classic Industries made carpet. Their site says that they sell ACC carpet:

https://www.classicindustries.com/shop/search/interior-soft-goods/carpet/molded-carpet-carpet-kits/

Trim Parts carpet line was bought by ACC and their stuff was moved to ACC in Alabama.

Last edited by Tri-Carb; April 29th, 2022 at 11:51 AM.