Help or suggestion to repair a broken console lid??

Search this Thread

Old October 9th, 2009, 08:19 PM

Help or suggestion to repair a broken console lid??

I have a console in my 70 Supreme that the lid has broken off just below the hinge. Is there any way to repair it without taking the console completely apart and replacing the broken portion?? Thanks for any suggestions or advice...
Old October 9th, 2009, 08:48 PM

Pictures are always helpful.
Old October 9th, 2009, 08:48 PM

Need a picture of the break please.

Edit: What Randy said!

John
Old October 9th, 2009, 08:53 PM

Thanks guys. I thought about that after I posted...little too late huh. I'll get some photos tomorrow if you could check back and see what I'm dealing with. I appreciate the help!
Old October 9th, 2009, 09:49 PM

Maybe the pic in the link will get you started:

http://www.realoldspower.com/phpBB2/...ht=concole+lid
Old October 10th, 2009, 04:11 AM
Registered

This will fix anything known to man.

ducttape.jpg
Old October 10th, 2009, 06:55 AM

70Post: Thanks for the link. That posting on ROP describes exactly what happened to my console I'm just not sure if their repair method will work. The part that is broken on my console is the long inner strip that the screws go through to attach the bottom portion of the lid hinge. In the picture on the link you sent (below), this piece is still intact and they suggest drilling new holes in the plastic behind this piece (marked with blue tape) and then feeding the screws through the hinge first and into the plastic. Has anyone tried this and had success?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1zfk8jl.jpg (96.7 KB, 20 views)
Old October 10th, 2009, 06:59 AM

Bluevista: Too funny! Thanks for the chuckle with my morning coffee! I may have to resort to the almighty duct tape if averything else fails....at least it will cover up all the holes I'll have to drill into the console!!
Old October 10th, 2009, 08:27 AM

Duct tape....Z rated....

Best part about that duct tape is it's speed rated by NASCAR...will take well over 200mph abuse and hang on for dear life. Makes me sleep better at night knowing my tape can take that kinda of abuse....really....LOL...Oldsdroptop

here's a great use for duct tape.....taping down the drivers arm before he does something embarassing....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Gsy40wz5Yk

Duct tape....1001 uses....

http://www.ducktapeguys.com/caption5.html
Old October 10th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Registered

Talking Yummy

Originally Posted by oldsdroptop
Best part about that duct tape is it's speed rated by NASCAR...will take well over 200mph abuse and hang on for dear life. Makes me sleep better at night knowing my tape can take that kinda of abuse....really....LOL...Oldsdroptop

here's a great use for duct tape.....taping down the drivers arm before he does something embarassing....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Gsy40wz5Yk

Duct tape....1001 uses....

http://www.ducktapeguys.com/caption5.html
That's great, I'm dying.

How do you pick your nose with driving gloves on?!!!
He does have a big schnoz.

At least he didn't flick it at the camera or eat it.
Maybe he's saving it on the steering wheel center pad as a snack for later??

I'm entering a blindfolded fish smelling and identification contest soon as I can find one.
Have duct tape, will travel.

BTW, the contestants are blindfolded, not the fish.
Old October 11th, 2009, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by 4-ever-olds
70Post: Thanks for the link. That posting on ROP describes exactly what happened to my console I'm just not sure if their repair method will work. The part that is broken on my console is the long inner strip that the screws go through to attach the bottom portion of the lid hinge. In the picture on the link you sent (below), this piece is still intact and they suggest drilling new holes in the plastic behind this piece (marked with blue tape) and then feeding the screws through the hinge first and into the plastic. Has anyone tried this and had success?
Dude---the "their repair method" in that posting is MINE....that's why I posted the link (I posted that picture on ROP.com). I just used that "intact" console for the picture. I have used the method I described in the link...it works....again, that's why I posted it.

The part that is broken off your console.....if you still have the broken off piece then you put it back on when the repair is done so it "hides" the repairs. You may have to clearance the backside of your broken-off piece to clear the heads of the screws used to attach the console hinge to the outer plastic.

Or...you can use a phillips screw with a lower profile head.....or file down the heads of regular screws. I used #8 panhead phillips screws and had to grind some clearance spaces into the backside of the broken off plastic strip so it would go back in place without bending it.

You can even paint the heads of the screws flat black so they aren't obvious.

It works....
Old October 12th, 2009, 03:58 AM

"Dude---the "their repair method" in that posting is MINE....that's why I posted the link (I posted that picture on ROP.com). I just used that "intact" console for the picture. I have used the method I described in the link...it works....again, that's why I posted it."

Duh, I'm a little slow! LOL! I didn't even look at the user-name on the ROP post! I'm gonna give it a shot and I'll let you know how I make out. Thanks again for the info!!