Glove compartment geometry lesson

Search this Thread

Old June 19th, 2021 | 01:36 PM

Glove compartment geometry lesson

Guys -

Bought a replacement glove box insert for a 72 Cutlass. You know, the cardboard deals. Ripping out the old one was easy since it was torn to shreds.

I can't seem to get the new one to fit. I studied the assembly manual and it's not helpful. Anyone have a line on a step by step, or a hint how to get this little bastard to fit?

Thanks all
Old June 19th, 2021 | 03:28 PM

Since I have cars older than yours, I can offer only referential advice. I have a stereo head unit and 3 pack of gauges in mine so when it’s closed the car looks stock. As to the cardboard, think of it as origami.

Best to try and fit as designed before trimming, but sometimes the reproductions leave us wanting. I’ve had good luck with stuff from Fusick in CT. Some mild trimming of edges may make things easier. Mild trimming meaning up to 1/4” or maybe a 1/2” if needed.

You might post where you bought the replacement from just in case someone has one that _really_ fits that’s different from yours.

If there are A/C ducts, radio, vacuum lines, light bulbs, or other stuff below it, remove those so you have room to work. The idea is generally to take out only those things that can go back in after the new cardboard box is in place.

In a pinch, you _may_ maybe be able to nudge it in from the front through the forward facing void, then expand it to screw the fasteners in place. At the extreme if you’re worried about tearing the cardboard, you could try steaming it to allow more movement during installation, or if you want to reinforce the corners duct tape the corners you think might be weak.

If someone with a ‘72 has the word, please ignore my generalities above.

Hope this helps
Chris

Old June 19th, 2021 | 07:59 PM

I put one in my 69 a few weeks ago not sure how much different it is from a 72 but I got it from Fusicks.
It seemed very difficult at first but with a little patience it went in from the front I had A/C vents to deal with as well.
I thought it was wrong at first where nothing lined up correctly. with some jockeying, it lined up perfectly no trimming necessary.

Best I can recall.

1.Pushed the box through the front of the box opening. (Some soak it or remove staples to make it more flexible ) I did not have to.
2. Tilted the box downward to get the box all the way In.
3. Pull the box on one side to get the other side in place.
4. Reach under the dash to push the other side in place.
5. Tilt the box upward to from the back to get the holes to line up.

This is what I used to guide me https://www.chevelles.com/threads/ho...-liner.142091/

Old June 20th, 2021 | 07:45 AM

Mine is a lot older car but it also finally went in through the front also.... Tedd
Old June 20th, 2021 | 12:24 PM
Gary

Examine the glove box you removed and you will see fold marks on the sides. Those folds helped the assembly line workers install the boxes quickly.

Fusick boxes have intermittent slits, part-way through the cardboard on the outer sides (not visible when installed). These slits are meant to allow the box to be folded the same way the factory box was.

To fold more easily, I carefully used a utility knife to make the side slits a little more continuous (still not cut through).

MIne installed quickly (no trimming, no damage) and the fold marks are nearly invisible on the inside.
Old June 21st, 2021 | 06:59 AM

Fold it together like the top of a burrito, then shove in from the front.

To fold, the top goes down into the box, then the sides fold in over the top.

Yes, it's a tight fit. Don't worry, just push.