Font bench seat removal

Search this Thread

Old March 6th, 2021, 01:02 PM

Font bench seat removal

Hey guys any help here would be appreciated. I have a 1970 Olds 442 with a front power bench seat which I believe to be the original. I’ve removed the 4 bolts to the brackets holding it to the floor pans but am having trouble accessing the rail bolts for complete seat removal. Am I missing a trick here? These rail bolts are almost impossible to access even with box wrenches and then reinstalling even worse. Anyone removed this seat before feel free to advise on how you did it; thanks!
Old March 6th, 2021, 01:10 PM

Once the 4 floor bolts are out all it takes is a couple people to remove it. Track bolts do not need to come out to remove it.
Old March 6th, 2021, 01:23 PM
Bfg

If you have already removed the bolts that attached the frame to the floor it should come out. If you need to remove the frame from the seat tracks you need to move the seat forward or backwards to access the bolts
Old March 6th, 2021, 01:36 PM

Thanks guys; seriously thought I was missing sumthn here and didn’t want to break anything removing it. Just seems like it was still attached to the floor. I’ll give it another look
Old March 13th, 2021, 08:10 PM

Seatbelts

Don’t forget to feed the seatbelt buckles back through the seat and onto the floor behind the bench. They might give you a surprise if you try to lift the bench out and get caught with them hanging up your lift.
Old March 14th, 2021, 10:41 AM

You said four bolts, so your removing the seat tracks from the floorboard leaving the power setup attached to the seat, correct? I've pulled a few of these but its been many years. double check around each mounting point, the front and back on each side. I think there's more than 4 bolts total. I think the rear on each side should have studs with nuts holding it on.
Old March 14th, 2021, 11:18 AM

Here's an old thread with pictures. It looks like one bolt on the front of each side, then two studs on the back of each side. This is for a power bench. There are also photos for the power bucket which used a different bracket attached to the floorboard.

Power Bench Seat Floor Mounts or Measurement - ClassicOldsmobile.com
Old March 14th, 2021, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by 72Pumpkin
Don’t forget to feed the seatbelt buckles back through the seat and onto the floor behind the bench. They might give you a surprise if you try to lift the bench out and get caught with them hanging up your lift.
I don't think you are able to pull the buckles through the seat back. Belts should pull forward with the mounting tab coming out last. There is a plastic sleeve to guide the belt through.
Old March 14th, 2021, 06:31 PM

That power seat is not removable in all positions. Make sure you're not sitting over a bolt.