Faux wood steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old November 3rd, 2020 | 04:22 PM
Frankenstein 442 owner

Faux wood steering wheel

These wheels were used on many GM products, Corvettes for instance.

What are the chances that they are all from the same parts bin and are interchangeable?

Old November 3rd, 2020 | 07:34 PM

I had heard that the "dish " on a Vette wheel was deeper than the "dish" on the 'A' body wheels. I don't have a Vette wheel to compare.
Old November 3rd, 2020 | 07:56 PM

I thought I read there was a slight difference in the color, the Olds wheel was more of a red color.
Old November 4th, 2020 | 05:03 AM
Old(s) Fart

As noted, there are two different wheel "dish" sizes, deep and shallow. The A-body cars use the shallow version. As also noted, there are different "woodgrain" colors and designs. Also, Buick and Chevy used the same three spoke wheel with solid color rims in addition to the "woodgrain" rim. Most of the three spoke wheels over lap the bottom spoke, so the hub requires a notch to clear this, making it different from the hub used on the four spoke wheel (though the six bolt mounting pattern and horn contact hardware are the same. There are a few of the three spoke wheels that do not overlap the third spoke, and these use the hub without a notch (note that Olds only used the ones that overlap). There are two different diameter hubs also, one for the small diameter 67-68 steering columns and one for the larger 69-up columns.
Old November 4th, 2020 | 08:07 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

For 1968 the Corvette steering wheel and the Olds A body steering wheel are the exact same faux wood grain, (plastic) 16" diameter x 4.25" dish. Both steering wheels have the overlapping lower spoke and the same horn assembly.

C2s may have a deeper dish...speculation only. I'll do more research on NCRS and see if this is fact or fiction. I think one or the other (C2 C3) faux wood wheels is correctly reproduced? If anyone has it, it would certainly be the NCRS guys.

Not sure about the dimensions of the other look-a-likes, Chevy, Buick, Pontiac et al. From memory (only) I recall the Velle wheel as a solid red brown color. No idea about the Camaro or first-gen FireBird.

A simple phone call to one of the reproduction vendors would provide some data.

Just goes to show you can source the same/similar parts across GM lines if you are not concerned about a 1000 point restoration.

Steve
Old November 4th, 2020 | 08:31 AM

I was in the middle of PM'ing back and for with a few members that know a lot more about these wheels than me for the last few days. I recently bought a sport wheel up that appeared to be an original or a very good repro. MI68442W30 has sold a bunch of them and he said it's a repro. Here are pics:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/g/album/19641077

It is identical in size to my original sport wheel. It doesn't have the plate requiring the notch that Joe P mentions above

Unfortunately I don't know where it came from. I'm going to use it on my car and sell my old one

Last edited by allyolds68; November 4th, 2020 at 11:56 AM.
Old November 4th, 2020 | 11:09 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

More info:
Regarding 63-67 Corvette steering wheels "The 1963 Corvette had steeringwheels the same color as the interior however they were not the same as 67 steeringwheels. The spokes on the 63's were made of one piece and were flat against the steering hub. In 1967 the spokes consisted of two pieces and there was the lower spoke that overlaped the one piece for the two other spokes. This caused the steering hub to be notched.
The earlier steeringwheels 63-66 will work on the 67 hub but leaves a gap in the notch.
1964 thru 67 steeringwheels were simulated woodgrain with the only exceptions being 65-66 which could have optional teak woodsteeringwheels.
Your 67 should have a simulated woodgrain wheel with no exceptions". <Joe Ray, NCRS>

The overlapping spokes is a safety design. It breaks apart during collisions. The '67 center was different, but the rim was shot in the same mold at Inland.
The genuine woodwheel was optional in '65-'66, supplied by the Herman Miller Clock Co; MVSS regulations killed it for '67 (splintering in frontal impact). <John Hinckley, NCRS>

The 67 to 68 horn contacts are different, the cam and spacer are the same. <Joe Lucia, NCRS>

69-76 Corvette horn button centers are different from 67-68s.
The mounting tabs on the buttons are different.
69 and up corvette steering wheels are different from 68 and down.
The 68 horn centers were color coded to the interior.

I just posted this question on NCRS...."is the 67 C2 and 68 C3 Corvette wheel the same part?" Ill post responses as they come in.
Old November 4th, 2020 | 04:52 PM
Frankenstein 442 owner

Thanks to all for the great info.

Steve, your comment “Just goes to show you can source the same/similar parts across GM lines if you are not concerned about a 1000 point restoration.” is on-point as my car is driver quality, and now I can expand my search for a new wheel to include a different option with the ‘68 Corvette stuff out there.

Scott

Last edited by ThaDeuce; November 4th, 2020 at 04:55 PM.
Old November 5th, 2020 | 04:07 AM

Hi Scott, My '68 came with the fake walnut wheel & I hated it. It's too big, too thin & too deep. I found a nice aftermarket real walnut wheel on a chevy site called supermuscleparts.com.(sorry I couldn't get the link to post) It's smaller in diameter 15" with only a 2" dish. It bolts right on to the factory hub & uses all the factory hardware. You will need the filler piece for the notch at the bottom of the hub, they have them also. The wheel by itself is $229. I'm very happy with it. Of course by the time you buy the hub, horn contact, cap, etc it gets pricey!! they do list a whole kit for $329 but you'd still have to buy an Olds horn cap.

Old November 5th, 2020 | 07:42 AM
Frankenstein 442 owner

Originally Posted by rob1960
Hi Scott, My '68 came with the fake walnut wheel & I hated it. It's too big, too thin & too deep. I found a nice aftermarket real walnut wheel on a chevy site called supermuscleparts.com.(sorry I couldn't get the link to post) It's smaller in diameter 15" with only a 2" dish. It bolts right on to the factory hub & uses all the factory hardware. You will need the filler piece for the notch at the bottom of the hub, they have them also. The wheel by itself is $229. I'm very happy with it. Of course by the time you buy the hub, horn contact, cap, etc it gets pricey!! they do list a whole kit for $329 but you'd still have to buy an Olds horn cap.
Thanks Rob. If the wheel will screw directly to the stock hub, why did you need new horn contact and cap? Couldn’t you just reuse all those parts?
Old November 5th, 2020 | 08:38 AM

I was able to reuse all the horn parts with my new wheel. I was talking about what would be needed if you were changing over from the standard steering wheel
Old November 5th, 2020 | 04:03 PM
Frankenstein 442 owner

Got it. Thanks Rob.