door panel removal?

Search this Thread

Old December 3rd, 2012, 04:43 AM
1970 olds cutlass supreme

door panel removal?

i need to change the exterior mirrors and i dont know how to take the door panal off, i havent tried either because i dont wanna screw it up.

how do i go about taking the door panels off?

also is there somewhere where i can get how to's to do everything in the car?

1970 oldsmobile cutlass 350
Old December 3rd, 2012, 06:19 PM

First step is to remove the arm rest. Just going from memory you'll need to remove two large phillip screws that install from the bottom of the arm rest. After that you'll need to remove the door handle and window crank, they each have a clip that needs to be removed with a specific tool, or if your patient you can do it with a small screwdriver or small nail bent into a hook and held with small vice grips. You can see the clip on the door handle, its the same clip on the window crank. Then remove the plastic lock **** by unscrewing it. If you have a remote outside rear view mirror you'll also have to remove the bezel held on with two phillips screws. Then look for the clip that goes around the outside of the bezel, remove that and slide the bezel over adjustment **** and off.

Now your ready to pull the panel itself. There should be 4 or maybe 5 phillips screws through the carpet at the bottom of the door. Then up the sides there are clips that push into plastic recievers installed into the door. There is a tool to remove these clips, but if you have two putty knives slide one in above and one below, then slowly wiggle and pry out. Be carefull on this task, as the clips will tear out of the cardboard backing of the door panel if you don't pull them right. Once those are removed you'll need to lift up and swing the bottom of the panel out, there are two hooks on the top inside of the door and you'll need to get the panel off those. It may take some effort to work it off these two hooks, so don't lose your patience, take your time to get them worked off.

That's the process as best as I remember. Some of the other members can chip in if they have a different way to accomplish the steps outlined here. There are several books, the first I'd get is the Chassis Service Manual. You can find these on ebay or for free download an electronic copy at wildaboutcars.com. Then an Assembly manual that focuses on the sheetmetal. Then if you have time review the major build threads on this site. I'm sure many of the tasks you'll encounter have been documented with text and pictures on this site.

John
Old December 3rd, 2012, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by rocket350
also is there somewhere where i can get how to's to do everything in the car?
Here is pretty much everything inside except the dash!
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...html#post49251
Old December 3rd, 2012, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Here is pretty much everything inside except the dash!
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...html#post49251
I thought you might have covered this Rob. Next time I'll have to try the search option first!
Old December 3rd, 2012, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
I thought you might have covered this Rob. Next time I'll have to try the search option first!
I dont think I went into as much detail as you did with the crank, tho.
Old September 18th, 2016, 01:40 PM
1972 442

Hi. So whats the scam with the funky little clips behind the door panel? Of wht i can barely see they go up then down? After i get that weird slotted screw driver thing, how do i use it? I tried using 2 screw drivers but the bastard wont budge.
Old September 19th, 2016, 11:10 AM

Is it just me? While I am not familiar with this model/year, from the pics of the car in your profile it does look as though the outside mirror is screwed to the door? That is how it attaches on my 1962, and most other cars. No need to remove the door panel?
Old September 19th, 2016, 12:00 PM
1972 442

Lol. No. Sorry. Im trying to get the door panel off. There is a clip on each side that requires a funky slotted screw driver tool. I just want to know how to get the clips out of the inside of the door panel so i dont screw it up.
Old September 19th, 2016, 01:35 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 138milkmen
Lol. No. Sorry. Im trying to get the door panel off. There is a clip on each side that requires a funky slotted screw driver tool. I just want to know how to get the clips out of the inside of the door panel so i dont screw it up.
Not that I've ever seen. Remove the arm rest (phillips screws), unscrew the lock ****, remove the window cranks and door handle, remove the phillips screws along the bottom in the carpet, and pull the panel away from the door. Having the window all the way down will help with getting the top clips to come free.

The door panel clips look like this and just push into plastic retainers in the door. Expect some of them to stay in the door. Just pull them out and reinstall in the door panel. Also, don't be surprised if the cardboard is torn where some of these clips go. That's just a fact of life.

Old September 19th, 2016, 03:08 PM

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/oes...hK3hoCNq3w_wcB

Something like this? $6 at Summit.