Door Panel pic and idea for a new thread...

Search this Thread

Old September 7th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Classic GM Fan

Door Panel pic and idea for a new thread...

I'm switching my interior over from bright blue to Pearl. This weekend I got the door weatherstrips installed and the two door panels. Here's a pic of one. The armrest base seems to be a couple of shades too dark although I can live with it. The armrest cushion fits like crap, the vinyl has wrinkles in the corners. Does anybody know a source for armrest cushions in pearl that fit right?

I thought what we should do is start a thread where we can review the quality of various reproduction parts. I took a few pics for and will post them with reviews of the parts I've bought. Anyway I'd give this armrest cushion a "D". I'll have to look through my paperwork to see where I bought it.

J.P.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC_0662.jpg (59.9 KB, 84 views)
Old September 8th, 2009, 12:10 AM

Cool Base

The arm rest base seems to be more like '68 parchment
Old September 8th, 2009, 05:46 AM

I got my armrest pads from OPG. Color and looks were great, but the holes were drilled a little off and required minor redrilling of the armrest bases...
Mine can be seen here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/robsalb...7602930020786/
Keep in mind the door panel and base is original and discolored.

Here is a comparison of the pad to the rest of the new unfaded interior:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/robsalb...7602930020786/

Hope this helps some...

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; September 8th, 2009 at 05:49 AM.
Old September 8th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Classic GM Fan

Originally Posted by Yellowstatue
The arm rest base seems to be more like '68 parchment
Yellowstatue, you might be right. It was sold to me as "Pearl" and does have the pearlescent sheen. I think I can live with it for now though.

Rob, I'm honored to have a reply from you, I've read all your threads and especially liked your long and detailed interior postings, with all the great pics. Your interior is a true work of art--it's absolutely beautiful. I see your armrest bases are also a little darker than the door panel, but since the panel is original you can't read anything into that. I don't think I'll worry about it too much until I get everything else swapped out. I might order a new set of armrest cushions though if I can get them to fit as well as yours! Thanks again for taking to time to post a couple of pics for me.

J.P.

Edi

Last edited by mv213; September 8th, 2009 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Correction:
Old September 8th, 2009, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by mv213
Rob, I'm honored to have a reply from you, I've read all your threads and especially liked your long and detailed interior postings, with all the great pics. Your interior is a true work of art--it's absolutely beautiful. I see your armrest bases are also a little darker than the door panel, but since the panel is original you can't read anything into that. I don't think I'll worry about it too much until I get everything else swapped out. I might order a new set of armrest cushions though if I can get them to fit as well as yours! Thanks again for taking to time to post a couple of pics for me.

J.P.

Edi
Okay Edi, don't make me !

Thank you very much for the kind compliments...
I am always honored to help where I can!

If you compare my old interior and the old, the old is a lot darker. I consider it "inverse fading" because it got darker with UV exposure. The same happened to the armrests.
The underside of the old parts showed the correct color that matches the armrest pads, and the new seat covers.
The new rear quarter panels are also lighter than the original door panels.
Perhaps the same happened to your interior??

This winter my armrests will be replaced, along with the door panels. after then I should have a nice matching interior! The new "lighter" color is in fact the true factory color when compared to the hidden unfaded areas.

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; September 8th, 2009 at 10:17 AM.
Old September 8th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Classic GM Fan

The underside of the old parts showed the correct color that matches the armrest pads, and the new seat covers.
The new rear quarter panels are also lighter than the original door panels.
Perhaps the same happened to your interior??

No, in my case everything you see is reproduction except for the "CS" emblem and the door handle. I'm afraid it's just a case of mis-matched colors. If I ever run across a set of correct pearl armrest bases in the future I might pick them up. It will have to wait until the car is done though....I'm not going to let that hold me up!

Today i dropped off the rear seat and the 4 sheetmetal panels at the upholstery shop. The guy said they should be done in 2 weeks or maybe a little sooner. (Keeping fingers crossed)
Old September 8th, 2009, 05:11 PM

If I ever run across a set of correct pearl armrest bases in the future I might pick them up.
If you cannot find pearl bases, you may have to custom paint some generic colored bases, such as plain white. I have to do that, as they are not made in my color. They will be done last, perhaps in spring...

I am curious to see how your seats turn out - post your progress and pics, too!

BTW, your new interior color looks very nice with the blue exterior!
Old September 8th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Classic GM Fan

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
If you cannot find pearl bases, you may have to custom paint some generic colored bases, such as plain white. I have to do that, as they are not made in my color. They will be done last, perhaps in spring...

I am curious to see how your seats turn out - post your progress and pics, too!

BTW, your new interior color looks very nice with the blue exterior!
Thanks Rob! I thought the blue interior with the blue exterior was just too much. I've always liked the white interior on the A-bodies and the pearl is pretty close.

I'll be sure and post some pics when get the seat back. Heres a pic of the other door, and a look into the black hole of Calcutta aka the stripped interior.

J. P.
Attached Images
DSC_0688.jpg (58.2 KB, 33 views)
DSC_0694.jpg (77.4 KB, 35 views)
Old September 9th, 2009, 06:09 AM

Personally I like the pearl better than the plain white. Plain / pure white is reserved for home appliances.

So tell me the plan!
What carpet color will you use? Are you going to recolor the column, console, and dash?

Black hole is right - that's where the $$ seem to get sucked into...
However, when it is all done, you will easily see the black hole gave it back.
How are the floorboards looking? Did you take a peek yet?
How do the quarter inners look? Time to wash them out and POR15 'em...
Lots of "mightaswells" in an interior redo!
Old September 9th, 2009, 07:20 AM
Registered

I thought I liked the blue with a blue interior like my car but Rob prefers the pearl so I must be wrong, I'm sorry Mr. Rob sir.

I think all convertibles should have power windows, now's the time, Rob knows how to do it.
Old September 9th, 2009, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
I thought I liked the blue with a blue interior like my car
Blue thoughts from the blue guy...
hehe...

Originally Posted by Bluevista
I think all convertibles should have power windows, now's the time, Rob knows how to do it.
Yep, you gotta add power wind'ers!! This is the time!
Old September 9th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Classic GM Fan

Blue thoughts from the blue guy...
hehe...

Yep, you gotta add power wind'ers!! This is the time!
Oh, no! I saw what you went through to put yours in. I'm not going there!

Anyway, I've already POR15'd inside the quarters and inside the doors. That was pretty easy. I also greased up the window mechanisms and rollers. They work pretty smooth now.

I'll be pulling the carpets tomorrow, we'll see what the floor looks like. I don't expect to find any holes, inside the quarters was pretty good with just minor surface rust.

Future plans: I'll be pulling the dash to dye it black, and painting the console while it's out along with the steering column. I think this will be enough to keep me busy for a while! Then I need to either restore the wheels (14" Rally II's) or replace them. The goal is to have it ready to drive next summer. It's been a long time and a long story that I won't go into right now.

Thanks for the opportunity to share with you all and learn from what you've already done

J.P.
Old September 9th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Classic GM Fan

More future plans

I think I forgot to say that I also have a reproduction sport steering wheel kit from The Parts Place. That should go well with the black and pearl. I got one of the first kits they sold and it's still in the boxes. Black carpet and underlayment is still in the box as well.

J.P.
Old September 10th, 2009, 03:10 AM

Cool Full power

The hardest part of installing power windows is removing the interior...then just lay out the harness, drill holes for the harness retainer screws and bolt in the regulators...then square off the holes in the panels for the single switches and make the rectangle holes for the master switch, then mount the power relay, and 12 volt supply and voila, you are finished...tea time
Old September 10th, 2009, 04:18 AM
Registered

The hardest part of installing power windows is removing the interior...then just lay out the harness, drill holes for the harness retainer screws and bolt in the regulators...then square off the holes in the panels for the single switches and make the rectangle holes for the master switch, then mount the power relay, and 12 volt supply and voila, you are finished...tea time

What about removing the doors so you can cut/drill holes in the cowl and doors for the wiring boots/harness? Snaking the forward harness across the very top front front may be simple if the dash is removed.
I would say the easiest part is removing the interior.
Old September 10th, 2009, 07:50 PM

My experience with 1970 Cutlass and 442s with the "Pearl White" interior is that there is no pearl look to/in the armrest bases or bucket seat plastics at all....on original pieces. OR, if there was it was not very apparent.

I think this is just the repro people trying to avoid admitting that they either 1) really don't know, or 2) that there may have been earlier cars with a pearl look to the white plastics and they just used the same thing for the 1970 model repro parts.

Last edited by 70Post; September 10th, 2009 at 07:57 PM.
Old September 11th, 2009, 05:32 AM

I wish... I wish I just got OEM replacement parts and made my own system!!
If you get the power window kits from the parts place, go ahead and dig your grave in advance... Then buy a metal cutting bandsaw, some 1/2 aluminum stock for spacers, a five pound sledge, 3 Dremel carbide cutters, 3 boxes of bandaids, 4 bottles of Jack Daniels, and send the family on a vacation far away where they will not hear the cussing.

If you had not figured it out yet, the parts place kits suk...
I hope your steering wheel from them fits...

Then I need to either restore the wheels (14" Rally II's) or replace them. J.P.
I just resored my wheels - see my thread in the body-chassis-frame section. I was pretty happy but 800 bucks poorer... 300 to restore 5 wheels and the rest was for tires.

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; September 11th, 2009 at 05:38 AM.
Old September 11th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Classic GM Fan

If you get the power window kits from the parts place, go ahead and dig your grave in advance... Then buy a metal cutting bandsaw, some 1/2 aluminum stock for spacers, a five pound sledge, 3 Dremel carbide cutters, 3 boxes of bandaids, 4 bottles of Jack Daniels, and send the family on a vacation far away where they will not hear the cussing.
So it sounds like a straight bolt in. And you guys wonder why I wasn't going to convert to PW!

If I end up keeping these wheels I'll just paint them myself and replace the center inserts, and polish up the stainless and chrome bits. Shouldn't cost more than $150 at the most.

Say Rob, did you cut your dash for your stereo? I'm thinking about cutting mine but I'm undecided. I know a lot of purists get upset but I'm already going against "purism" by changing the interior color. The only modification that's been made to my car in almost 40 years is a previous owner cut the upper panel that covers the top cylinders, in order to put speakers in. The FM/cassette unit was tucked under the passenger seat.

J. P.
Old September 11th, 2009, 11:50 AM

So it sounds like a straight bolt in.
Yea right. Maybe after 8 hours of frustrating re-engineering. I guess that was what the parts Place was thinking...

If I end up keeping these wheels I'll just paint them myself and replace the center inserts, and polish up the stainless and chrome bits. Shouldn't cost more than $150 at the most.
Sounds like a plan! Mine were sandblasted and powdercoated, so the price I paid was very fair.

Say Rob, did you cut your dash for your stereo? I'm thinking about cutting mine but I'm undecided.
NNNOOOO!!!! My dash was filed out a little from the original owner but not too mangled.

I know a lot of purists get upset but I'm already going against "purism" by changing the interior color.
Changing the color is reversible, should you sell the car later and the next owner chooses to restore it to original. Once you chop up the dash, you cannot ever reverse it economically and make it look original.
I would avoid doing that. Besides, a high-tech flatface unit with all the dancing colors look WAYYY out of place in a car of this era. Also, it is a thief magnet...

The only modification that's been made to my car in almost 40 years is a previous owner cut the upper panel that covers the top cylinders, in order to put speakers in.
Same here. Original owner put speakers in my armrest. Idiot did not realize the cylinders moved, so damage occured when he ran the top.

I would encourage a stock-looking bolt-in modern radio, or tuck a high-tech one away under a seat or in the console or glove box. Many come with remotes to make easy operation.

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; September 11th, 2009 at 11:54 AM.
Old September 11th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Classic GM Fan

I would encourage a stock-looking bolt-in modern radio, or tuck a high-tech one away under a seat or in the console or glove box. Many come with remotes to make easy operation.
You're right, with a remote it's not necessary to have anything showing. I'll go that route. Worst case is I can tuck something under the pass. seat like the previous owner did. I might also look into the kickpanels with speaker holes built in to get a little sound up front.

I'm off to read about your wheel resto.......
Old September 11th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Registered

Those halcyon days of old, I remember them well.

So it sounds like a straight bolt in. And you guys wonder why I wasn't going to convert to PW!
You need heated seats at the very least, Rob knows how.
Old September 12th, 2009, 03:15 AM

Red face Memory lapse lapse lapse

Oh yeah!! I forgot about the doors...pulled the doors off and used a Greenlee punch (borrowed from electrician friend) to make beautiful cut holes in door and cowl....different sizes of course...and I have cheated the forward harness to right door by just laying it on the lower curl of the dash to quick fix a broken harness in the right door jamb until I can get time to install it in the proper location!!!
Old September 12th, 2009, 03:43 AM
Registered

Oh yeah!! I forgot about the doors...pulled the doors off and used a Greenlee punch (borrowed from electrician friend) to make beautiful cut holes in door and cowl....different sizes of course...and I have cheated the forward harness to right door by just laying it on the lower curl of the dash to quick fix a broken harness in the right door jamb until I can get time to install it in the proper location!!!

I just though you had the harnesses going right through the door panel face. I kept thinking all those wires would trip you up getting in and out so I made the holes.

I installed power locks too.
Old September 14th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Classic GM Fan

Found something interesting

When I was pulling the carpet and underlayment out of the car the other day I found a paper tag stuck to the underlayment with the original OEM supplier info and a date of June 4, 1970. It's amazing that this fragile piece of brown paper survived so intact.

Here's a pic and a pic of the floorpan freshly coated with Eastwood rust encapsulator after a coating of Eastwood rust convertor. Found no holes, no rust in the back part of the car at all. Under the back seat the floorpan looked like it just rolled out of the factory less a little surface rust powder in a couple of spots. The front was worse, the passenger side had a light coating of surface rust. The driver side was the worst, a lot of surface rust and a little deeper in a small area where the drivers feet rest. Not bad enough to require a patch thank goodness.
Attached Images
DSC_0699.jpg (103.6 KB, 12 views)
DSC_0702.jpg (81.0 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by mv213; September 14th, 2009 at 10:59 AM. Reason: spelling