Dash Vents

Search this Thread

Old July 22nd, 2012, 01:50 PM

Dash Vents

I am working on a '70 442 Sports Coupe (Post Coupe) The instrument panel has no vents of any kind. The car has only the floor vents. I have never seen this arrangement before. it looks a little odd if you ask me. Is this unique to the coupes? The dash vents must have been a seperate option. How difficult would it be to chamge out to a vent style dash? Can someone enlighten me on all of this?

Thanks

Randy
Old July 22nd, 2012, 08:04 PM

Yes - it's unique to the NON-AC post coupes. A non-AC regular hardtop would have end vents in the dash and a filler plate in the top/center of the pad instead of your "smoothy" pad.

Dash vents weren't "optional" to my knowledge on the post coupes (without AC). Of course, with AC, the post coupes got the "regular" dashpad with end vents and the center vent.
Old July 22nd, 2012, 08:34 PM

Patton,

Thanks for the great information. I'm glad I asked as I had decided I was going to swap it out for one with vents. Now I will leave it the way it is.

Randy
Old July 22nd, 2012, 09:18 PM

It's because you have wing vents. The non-AC A-bodies with with wing vents like wagons and ElCaminos did not have dash vents.
Old July 22nd, 2012, 09:45 PM
Just an Olds Guy

It seems kind of strange that non AC post coupes would get no dash vents, but hardtop non AC coupes would get them. Not a logical thought process at all.
Old July 22nd, 2012, 09:53 PM

It's logical Allan. It's because of wing vents. Wing vents = no dash vent. The kick panel will also only have one vent pull instead of two.

I have a 70 ElCamino. I learned this long ago.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Highwayman
It's logical Allan. It's because of wing vents. Wing vents = no dash vent. The kick panel will also only have one vent pull instead of two.

Agreed.

And...the "smoothy" dashpad does look a bit odd at times but after seeing thousands of them with end vents and a center vent the mind gets biased a bit and used to seeing that.

Just think of it as a "cleaner design".

The cool part about the wing/vent windows is how they hit the sport mirror body when opened up.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 12:28 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Then why do 64-69 hardtops (non AC) have side vent windows AND dash panel vents? That's why I was thinking it's not logical. I can accept what you say about why there were no vents in the 70-72 post coupes without AC, but I still don't see the 'logic'. Did 70-72 Cutlass Town Sedans (with vent side windows of course) or non AC Vista Cruisers have dash vents? I think so
Old July 23rd, 2012, 08:06 PM

1970- 72 non AC VC's do not have dash vents. Same dashpad as the post coupe. 1969 was the first year for the "flow through ventilation". That is why they have the black vents in the door jamb on hard tops and convertibles but not on A bodies with vent windows 1969 to 72.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 08:51 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Hmmmm, come to think of it our 67 Cutlass Town sedan didn't have vents on the dash. It had wing windows and a lower pull vent for outside dust, I mean air.

But that still doesn't address the 68/69 non AC cars. Did they have dash vents for non AC? Sorry if this sounds like beating a rented mule, but I'd really like to know the answers and there's only one way to find out - ask.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Then why do 64-69 hardtops (non AC) have side vent windows AND dash panel vents? That's why I was thinking it's not logical. I can accept what you say about why there were no vents in the 70-72 post coupes without AC, but I still don't see the 'logic'. Did 70-72 Cutlass Town Sedans (with vent side windows of course) or non AC Vista Cruisers have dash vents? I think so
You really do hate me don't you Allan. (Kidding..)

I really don't know what to say about 64-69. I stumbled into the thing about the vent wings because I wondered why my Camino didn't have dash vents and the cars did. It was so long ago I don't remember where I came across the info. I think there is a version for a car without wing vents and without AC that has the side vents but no hole for a center vent.

Originally Posted by tomsw31
1970- 72 non AC VC's do not have dash vents. Same dashpad as the post coupe. 1969 was the first year for the "flow through ventilation". That is why they have the black vents in the door jamb on hard tops and convertibles but not on A bodies with vent windows 1969 to 72.
I was thinking about those door jam vents today and you just confirmed what I was thinking. Thanks Tom.

Hmmmm, come to think of it our 67 Cutlass Town sedan didn't have vents on the dash. It had wing windows and a lower pull vent for outside dust, I mean air.

But that still doesn't address the 68/69 non AC cars. Did they have dash vents for non AC? Sorry if this sounds like beating a rented mule, but I'd really like to know the answers and there's only one way to find out - ask.
I can't speak to the Cutlass, but in my OPGI Chevelle catalog they have re-pops of the instrument carrier part of the dash for 68 and 69. They make w/ and wo/ vents for w/ and wo/ AC. 69 has a third version for wo/ AC and w/ Astro Ventilation. It has side vents but no center vent. I suspect BOP was similar.

It may sound like beating the rented mule, but it's good stuff to know if you're buying, selling or swapping parts. Throw in another little twist. Do you need a dash with a display for a column shift auto or a blank for a 4-speed?
Old July 23rd, 2012, 11:33 PM
Kickin' It Oldschool

Product ID: 316-D68KIT
68-69 DART DASH BEZEL KIT NON-A/C

does this help anything? -------> http://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-65-CUTL...r#ht_500wt_922

Last edited by bdub217; July 23rd, 2012 at 11:38 PM.
Old July 24th, 2012, 04:52 AM

Any post coupe,4-door sedan,wagon,or Vista,with no AC,got the ventless dashpad.All of these cars also had the wing windows.I like the ventless pads,and I have put some in hardtops,for a cleaner look.i found one in dark saddle,and I will be putting it in my 72 Supreme,along with my custom plastic section.It's gonna look slick.I promise.
Old July 24th, 2012, 08:29 AM
Just an Olds Guy

You really do hate me don't you Allan. (Kidding..) I was thinking about those door jam vents today and you just confirmed what I was thinking.

It may sound like beating the rented mule, but it's good stuff to know if you're buying, selling or swapping parts. Throw in another little twist. Do you need a dash with a display for a column shift auto or a blank for a 4-speed?
Gosh no! I sure hope you didn't take it that way. I'm just trying to understand the thinking behind the designs. I get the part now about what the non AC Post coupes, sedans and wagons. Just not understanding the 2 dr hardtops with non AC, wings and dash vents (specifically 68/69). Possibly the wings were simply a carry over design until the 70 model year rolled around? I found the wings were very efficient helping ventilate the car.

re: dash display for shift? Yes for column shift. On floor shift no. The display area would just be filled in with matching dash material. Here's a great example of one done by Ron Roth (who is an acknowledged expert on these dash restorations)
P1010158-2.jpg

Originally Posted by bdub217
Product ID: 316-D68KIT
68-69 DART DASH BEZEL KIT NON-A/C
Mopar? Gotta compare Olds to Olds
Old July 24th, 2012, 07:16 PM

[QUOTE=But that still doesn't address the 68/69 non AC cars. Did they have dash vents for non AC? Sorry if this sounds like beating a rented mule, but I'd really like to know the answers and there's only one way to find out - ask.[/QUOTE]

Allan,
The 1968 2 door hardtop and 1968/ 1969 2 door post coupes, non AC cars, do not have dash vents. 1969 2 door hardtops, non AC, have vents (they are different than the AC vents on the outside, and the center has a block off plate on the dashpad opening.) This model is without the vent windows and with the vents in the door jambs unlike the post coupes and 1968 2 door hardtop. I hope that makes sense.
Old July 24th, 2012, 07:31 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Well I think the picture is clearing up somewhat.
1964 - 1972 Post coupes/Non AC - wing window - no dash vents
1964 - 1972 Wagons/sedans/Non AC - wing window - no dash vents
68 HT coupe - Non AC - wing window - no dash vents
69 -72 HT coupes - Non AC - no wing window - side dash vents/blocked off center vent.
All 64 - 72 everything with AC has dash vents.

Is this about right?
Old July 24th, 2012, 07:46 PM
Kickin' It Oldschool

i posted mopar cos i was having trouble finding an olds pic for some reason, i posted a ebay link to a non a/c 60's dash for olds =P
Old July 24th, 2012, 11:16 PM

Gosh no! I sure hope you didn't take it that way....
Oh gosh no! I didn't take it in a bad way at all. I was just trying to mess with you because you expanded the question to include other years that I didn't have an answer to. All in fun and I might even mess with you again. Meanwhile what did you come up with?

Well I think the picture is clearing up somewhat.
1964 - 1972 Post coupes/Non AC - wing window - no dash vents
1964 - 1972 Wagons/sedans/Non AC - wing window - no dash vents
68 HT coupe - Non AC - wing window - no dash vents
69 -72 HT coupes - Non AC - no wing window - side dash vents/blocked off center vent.
All 64 - 72 everything with AC has dash vents.

Is this about right?
I see a pattern forming here. I think you might be on to something! This complicated dilemma may be on the verge of being solved by your ******* the issue with your sleuthing talents.

I also said I might mess with you some more.

It's because you have wing vents. The non-AC A-bodies with with wing vents like wagons and ElCaminos did not have dash vents.
It's logical Allan. It's because of wing vents. Wing vents = no dash vent.....
Dang, I'm glad Allan is a great guy with a good sense of humor!
Old July 25th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Sometimes I don't see things when they are hiding in plain sight...glad I was able to give you an opportunity to 'vent' Learn something new all the time. Thanks for your patience.