Converting interior to buckets/changing color

Search this Thread

Old February 19th, 2012, 09:12 PM

Converting interior to buckets/changing color

I have one question, how much value do you really loose if you convert a bench 442 to buckets and change color of the interior and convertible top from white to black? Does this have a major impact on the value even if you save all the old parts? Just curious.

Thanks
Old February 19th, 2012, 09:43 PM

It seems like the bucket seat/console is in more demand and thus will bring more money. Some colors are more popular than others so if your not going to keep it original you might increase the sale-ability with a color change. Unless your car is a really ugly color from the factory I don't know how much that would change the value though. The changes your describing could always be swapped back in the future if someone wanted to make it original. Saving the parts is a good idea if you have the storage space. John
Old February 19th, 2012, 09:58 PM

I think in many cases people convert their interiors to black because it's the most appealing color.
MOST people are more concerned with engines and transmissions being all original in rare cars.
If the rest is period correct, I don't think it will matter.

The 60's and 70's Oldsmobiles (as well as other brands) had some God awful color choices like
pea green, puke green, dookie brown, weird candy blue, etc.

I have a 1970 with all new Metallic Green interior, and while I think it's one of the coolest greens
I still would prefer to have an all black interior and I still might sell it all and go black myself.

Last edited by Aceshigh; February 19th, 2012 at 10:04 PM.
Old February 20th, 2012, 07:48 AM

I think a nicely done swap is fine unless you are doing a points perfect restoration. Color is not too hard if doing the interior anyway, but bench with column shifter to buckets with console takes a lot of work to do it right.