Bucket Seat To Close Dash

Search this Thread

Old September 11th, 2013, 10:52 AM

Bucket Seat To Close Dash

Does anyone have any ideas on making my bucket seat go back an additional 5 or 6 inches from stock? I am over 6' and a little larger around the mid section than I was in High school, ahem, anyway my knees are to close to the dash and the wheel is ah, let me put it this way, trying to occupy the same space as my spare tire. I have a 2008 Chevy Cobalt that I fit into fine and have not had this problem in any other car but it seems that my 1975 Cutlas Salon has a much smaller drivers area than more modern cars. I had to buy a seat belt extention which I dont have to have in my other cars, to get the belt on comfortably. Has anyone else had a simular problem? I am big as I said but not that big. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Bryan
Old September 11th, 2013, 11:00 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Remove the seat and seat tracks. Weld the tracks in further back. If you want to touch base with a member who needed to modify his 72 CS (same issue but different reason) send Steve a PM. (ah64pilot) He can walk you through what he did and he's a fairly tall guy with long legs.

BTW, belated welcome to the site.
Whattaya mean you're larger than high school especially around the tum tum? You're the first guy who's ever had this happen or mentioned it....

New cars have to be designed better for seating and trim because there is so much competition among the surviving brands.
Old September 11th, 2013, 11:04 AM

Thank you very much Alan that sounds like the way to do it, I appreciate your help.
Old September 11th, 2013, 11:09 AM
Just an Olds Guy

You're welcome. BTW Steve is also in TX.
Old September 11th, 2013, 11:12 AM

Moving the seat rearward from its factory position will mean that the outboard seatbelt retractors will be out of position. They'll be too far forward to be fully effective. You might want to move them rearward by the same amount, but that's not a trivial thing to do as they're mounted in specially-reinforced mounting holes. Just drilling through the floorpan a few inches behind the normal mounting point won't provide the same level of attachment strength. You might be able to reinforce the new mounting points similar to the way the factory did.
Old September 11th, 2013, 11:19 AM

Thank you jaunty, I had not even considered seat belt location.
Old September 11th, 2013, 11:51 AM

Some of the suppliers (Fusick, OPGI, Yearone) also sell seat track extenders for you long legged guys. We also used to get seat belt extenders at the dealership years ago for those larger than average people. When I worked at the dealership those were supplied to the customer at no cost.
Old September 11th, 2013, 07:28 PM

Thanks lemoldsnut I will check that out. I already purchased a belt extender so I can breathe now.