best vendors for seat covers

Search this Thread

Old September 27th, 2009, 02:57 PM

best vendors for seat covers

Who is the best vendor to get seat covers from? I have white interior, but some places call it ivory, pearl, off white. What would be the actual name of my interior? Trim code 947
Old September 27th, 2009, 03:09 PM

My reference calls that color "Parchment" which isn't a bright white, but a little like cream in color. I haven't bought interior for my projects yet, but a friend working in an upholstery shop told me there's only a couple manufacturers that everyone buys from. I believe Legendary is the company his shop buys from. John
Old September 29th, 2009, 05:20 PM

I bought Legendary for my 68 442 convertible in parchment and it looks great and fit well. I also used legendary trim panels and looked and fit well also. Steve
Old September 29th, 2009, 05:34 PM

ctrain22, without question go with Legendary. The PUI '68 material is not good. The dimples aren't deep enough. Almost doesn't look like the same material.

If you can hold off, often Legendary runs specials of up to 25% off. I've been fortunate to catch this special several times when ordering covers for my cars.
http://www.legendaryautointeriors.com/
Old September 30th, 2009, 02:30 AM

Also '68 parchment is a different colour than '69 parchment, '68 is more pearl and '69 is more tan...
Old September 30th, 2009, 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by 68Tom
ctrain22, without question go with Legendary. The PUI '68 material is not good. The dimples aren't deep enough. Almost doesn't look like the same material.

If you can hold off, often Legendary runs specials of up to 25% off. I've been fortunate to catch this special several times when ordering covers for my cars.
http://www.legendaryautointeriors.com/
X2. They make high quality stuff. Little more pricey than some places, but you absolutely are paying for quality.

John
Old September 30th, 2009, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by Eightupman
X2. They make high quality stuff. Little more pricey than some places, but you absolutely are paying for quality.

John
X5!
If there is ever a problem withtheir stuff, they will make it right at their expense.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 09:44 AM

are the seat covers and door panels interchangeable between '68 - '73? Legendary shows several different door panels offered - even within the same model year. my '71 has the raised buttons on the door panels... i could do without them.
Old October 5th, 2009, 04:39 AM

I've heard nothing but good reviews on Legendary.
I've heard MIXED reviews with PUI.

However, I ordered mine from Tamraz and they source from PUI.
So mine came in and got put on and look mint.
I paid $389 for front and back on their Ebay store too.

So I have a great review for PUI interiors myself.
As with any vendor who makes thinks, it's possible they
had a run of bad quality due to some employee changes.....who knows.

442Completed2Copy.jpg
442Completed3Copy.jpg

Last edited by Aceshigh; October 5th, 2009 at 04:41 AM.
Old October 5th, 2009, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by damascus
are the seat covers and door panels interchangeable between '68 - '73? Legendary shows several different door panels offered - even within the same model year. my '71 has the raised buttons on the door panels... i could do without them.
1973 is a different animal. 1968-72, and I am not even 100% sure THEY are compatible. 1970-1972 share the same doors, so they WILL be compatible.

John
Old October 7th, 2009, 07:36 PM

No question, Legendary is better. I just got done with one of my front buckets on my 72 Supreme. I'm in the process of changing my interior from Saddle to Black. I removed the PUI Saddle covers from OPGI and put on the Legendary ones. Legenday stiching is twice as strong, which you can easily see when you put them side by side. The foam is firmer and the backing that holds the listings is much heavier duty. I can't tell the difference in the vinyl itself except to say that the Saddle color from PUI does not look right at all. It doesn't match the rest of the interior. The black from Legendary looks fabulous!

I hope this helps

Chuck
Old October 7th, 2009, 08:28 PM
67 heavy metal

Originally Posted by Eightupman

John
Wholly macco there andythese guys are basicly in my backyard so to speak and I didn't know it.I left them a email to see if they can help me with my car as my seats are origional and in ruff shape.See that is why this site is cool I find out stuff that works great for me I don't have to pay shipping just go visit them.I get a kick out of the Rochester quadrajet carb talk as well as the plants that made them are not far away,crazy how that works.I guess Rotenchester isn't a total waste after all.Though the weather is somthing to be desired lol.
Old October 11th, 2009, 02:56 PM

I have been looking at Legendary, but they don't seem to list my color, although I don't know what it should be. The interior I have is white (kind of pearl), but you all say the code (947) should be parchment (tan). The closest they had (but sold out) was Frost white. It is a 68, so is the code 947 white? I bought a can of dye in off white from Parts Place to do touch up on door panels, but it is way too tan than my interior color.
Old October 11th, 2009, 03:05 PM
67 heavy metal

well I got a dissapointment they don't do seat covers for my car.that stinks the kicker is they do make ones for bench seats but not for the delmont or the 4dr model anyway.These places make things for the popular cars like cutlases and say chevells two dr cars and what not what about the big cars.

The same seems to go for quarter panels and other parts
Old October 11th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Alb

seat covers

From everything that I read here and from other people Legendary is the way to go. I guess I will find out cause I just ordered everything from them.Covers, panels headliner etc. There went 1/3 of my pension check.
Alb
Old October 12th, 2009, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by delmontcrusier
well I got a dissapointment they don't do seat covers for my car.that stinks the kicker is they do make ones for bench seats but not for the delmont or the 4dr model anyway.These places make things for the popular cars like cutlases and say chevells two dr cars and what not what about the big cars.
The same seems to go for quarter panels and other parts
Unfortunately the less common cars suffer from lack of repro parts due to lack of demand... The Delmont may be the last one they even think about due to it's uniqueness. In fact I never even heard of a Delmont before being on this forum. Regardless it is a good looking car that I would hope to see in person some day. An upholstery shop might be able to custom make some seat covers and door panels, or if yours are not too bad, try to restore them the best you can. Many of the unique cars I see at shows are mostly original survivors - not showroom clean but full of history, patina, and clever restoration of original parts... Many of these are more interesting than the common cars full of repro parts.

Originally Posted by Aceshigh
However, I ordered mine from Tamraz and they source from PUI.
So mine came in and got put on and look mint.
They are a nice minty green too!
Looks great - glad PUI got a good review - perhaps they are improving over time and taking customer feedback seriously...

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; October 12th, 2009 at 05:23 AM.
Old October 12th, 2009, 06:19 AM

My PUI 66 Cutlass parchment pearl covers are excellent in everyway.

Henry
Old October 12th, 2009, 01:19 PM

The thing is, I'm not knocking PUI per se. It's just that the '68 seat covers have a very specific pattern on them. There are small dimples in a diamond shape pattern. I ordered not only PUI seat covers, but also door panels. I didn't even have my car nearby when I opened the packages when they arrived and I was looking at them going "what the f...." I was on the phone in 30 seconds figuring out how to return them. They might be great for other years, but they suck for 1968.

Parchment is not tan. It is typically a cream-ish color with metallic flake in it. In 1968, there was no "white" Oldsmobile interior according to my resto guide. 937 (bucket) or 917 (bench) was parchment. I'm prety sure 947 is also parchment. My by the numbers guide is at home, so someone else will have to help.

Give Legendary a call. I'm guessing what they have is Parchment. They're very helpful. Tell them your make, model, and trim code. Then ask if what they have is Parchment.

Last edited by 68Tom; October 12th, 2009 at 01:29 PM.
Old October 12th, 2009, 08:36 PM
67 heavy metal

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Unfortunately the less common cars suffer from lack of repro parts due to lack of demand... The Delmont may be the last one they even think about due to it's uniqueness. In fact I never even heard of a Delmont before being on this forum. Regardless it is a good looking car that I would hope to see in person some day. An upholstery shop might be able to custom make some seat covers and door panels, or if yours are not too bad, try to restore them the best you can. Many of the unique cars I see at shows are mostly original survivors - not showroom clean but full of history, patina, and clever restoration of original parts... Many of these are more interesting than the common cars full of repro parts.
I agree with you there but it is nice to replace a few parts now and then.I had to improvize on one of my door panels as a for the time being type of fix.I may take a picture of it later on but it has pieces of aluminized or aluminum metal the were from running boards to make the door look half way decent as the botom half of the panel was or is shot.I am not out of options as there is a seat cover apolstry place I can try though I am not in a rush.I got by for now.These cars are projects and will always be projects even the guys with the really nice show cars are always tinkering with somthing.

[/quote]They are a nice minty green too!
Looks great - glad PUI got a good review - perhaps they are improving over time and taking customer feedback seriously...[/quote]

I am not so much a fan of green but it does look nice.

Last edited by delmontcrusier; October 16th, 2009 at 04:10 PM.
Old October 16th, 2009, 04:18 PM
67 heavy metal

I have some new pic's of the interior of my car and the door panel repair as well as the ripped or torn driver seat the sad thing is it is only the driver side that is bad though that is to be exspected I guess as that is the spot used the most.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_0749.jpg (47.1 KB, 16 views)
100_0750.jpg (91.1 KB, 15 views)
100_0751.jpg (51.5 KB, 12 views)
100_0756.jpg (80.3 KB, 14 views)
100_0752.jpg (48.6 KB, 10 views)
Old October 18th, 2009, 03:03 AM

I'm very happy with my 68 442 parchment covers I bought from Legendary. I bought on a sale 2 years ago. I finally got around to installing them this past summer and had questions. I called them a couple times for help, and they were extremely helpful at answering my questions.
Old October 18th, 2009, 04:00 PM

MX

Was the Parchment from legendary almost like a white pearl or was it more on the tan side? I understand 68 and 69 had parchment but they were different colors. Do you have any pictures?
Old October 18th, 2009, 07:57 PM

I don't have a picture right now, but I can get one in the next couple of days. My covers have a very slight pearlessence shine to them, barely noticeable. Now that I think about it, I can't rememer if 68 is called parchment or pearl. That may be the difference between 68 and 69. However I don't know anything about the 69's...