69 cutlass S convertible interior

Search this Thread

Old March 6th, 2022, 10:11 AM

69 cutlass S convertible interior

I'm doing a frame off on my 69 Cutlass S convertible. I'm looking for recommendations. Several websites offer complete interior restoration kits. Is one brand better than another?

Last edited by lala5818; March 6th, 2022 at 10:13 AM. Reason: hit enter by mistake
Old March 6th, 2022, 10:51 AM

There seems to be two main players legendary is generally accepted as the best (currently ) and pui is the next up , legendary is about 45% more expensive. I will be replacing all of mine as well so I will be following along . From what I am hearing there is currently a long lead time in availability, so you might want to check and order accordingly
Old March 6th, 2022, 12:10 PM

I guess I should get my order in now then..
Old March 6th, 2022, 12:21 PM

OPGI offers Legendary, PUI and Distinctive Industries. Just trying to get some opinions on the three.
Old March 6th, 2022, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by lala5818
OPGI offers Legendary, PUI and Distinctive Industries. Just trying to get some opinions on the three.
I have seen the legendary interiors as said it was spectacular, I hear about the pui but haven’t seen the package installed I know nothing about the destinctive as you see there’s a huge diff in price
Old March 6th, 2022, 10:44 PM

I have used Legendary, PUI, and Distinctive over the years on a number of different cars. A lot of fuss is made about the difference in quality of each. While there certainly is a difference, I do not know if that equals the difference in price. I.E. Is the difference in quality great enough to justify the much higher price of some companies? Like others said, the current lead time is several months for most orders so possibly arriving Sep - Oct if then by placing your order today.
Here are some examples of seats I've restored using Legendary, PUI, and Distinctive. To repeat, all three companies are represented in the photos below. See if you can pick out which is which.

Example 1

Example 2

Example 3

Example 4

Example 5

I have done a few other sets over the years, but i can't find pics of them.

Last edited by Loaded68W34; March 7th, 2022 at 12:01 PM.
Old March 7th, 2022, 01:32 PM

Here's another question. Which one gives you the most product for the price? Which brand has the most complete kit?
Old March 7th, 2022, 03:34 PM

Before buying a "kit", I would carefully examine what it comes with (there should be a breakdown of everything in the kit) and make sure you need everything included. If you don’t need everything, put a list together and price out what you need (across multiple vendors to find the best price) vs. the price of a "kit". I have always pieced parts together from multiple sources on my cars to get the best price. A few tips: Muscle Factory (Chevelle vendor) has some of the best prices around, so check there first (they have an eBay store as well) for cross-over parts (rear arm rest covers, bucket seat chrome parts, etc.). Make sure you factor in shipping. OPGI usually has pretty competitive prices, but their shipping is often outrageous, so I only buy from them if they have a free shipping deal going on (orders over a certain amount or during certain months of the year). The only "kit" I have ever used was for the interior in the blue Chevelle and that was only because my brother and I restored the car for someone else who bought all of the parts. What the car looked like when we started: