69 bucket seats and shifter questions

Search this Thread

Old January 25th, 2011 | 06:49 AM

69 bucket seats and shifter questions

Traded for a 69 Cutlass Conv that someone did a H/O Tribute(black w/ gold). They did a good job on Tribute outside but not much inside, Bench seat solid but cracking, springs a little weak on edge. back seat good but plan to redo also, called local highly recommended shop to have them freshened up. However I found a 69 with buckets thats be parted out. Should I go with the buckets and if so what do i do for a shifter, ive seem them for 800-900 bucks but im not sure its the right one. if I go with the buckets, then I need floor mounts from repro shop ? is this a big job ? what shifter ? cutlass was a hinged console ? H/O looks like a dual gate with a small cover ? is this only out of a 69 H/O ? I know this is only a Tribute car, I could have never afforded it if it wasnt, but I do want to do whats close to right but function is more important. I can post pictures if it helps. Thanks for any help.
Old January 25th, 2011 | 07:46 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 69OLDSCUTCONV
Traded for a 69 Cutlass Conv that someone did a H/O Tribute(black w/ gold). They did a good job on Tribute outside but not much inside, Bench seat solid but cracking, springs a little weak on edge. back seat good but plan to redo also, called local highly recommended shop to have them freshened up. However I found a 69 with buckets thats be parted out. Should I go with the buckets and if so what do i do for a shifter, ive seem them for 800-900 bucks but im not sure its the right one. if I go with the buckets, then I need floor mounts from repro shop ? is this a big job ? what shifter ? cutlass was a hinged console ? H/O looks like a dual gate with a small cover ? is this only out of a 69 H/O ? I know this is only a Tribute car, I could have never afforded it if it wasnt, but I do want to do whats close to right but function is more important. I can post pictures if it helps. Thanks for any help.
The short console and dual gate were used on the 68/69 H/O and the Yenko Camaros. They are reproduced. Of course, if you care about appearance, it won't be BLACK/gold.
Old February 2nd, 2011 | 08:35 PM

Reproduced

can you tell me where I can get the reproduced shifter. with all hardware? bracket mounts ? cable ?
Old February 3rd, 2011 | 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by 69OLDSCUTCONV
can you tell me where I can get the reproduced shifter. with all hardware? bracket mounts ? cable ?
You can find Olds Dual gates on e-bay occassionally. You'll see many more for Ponchos.

The H/O shorty consol is a POS. I lined mine with fiberglass to give it some beef.

Changing from bench to bucket is a big job. Just don't forget the seat tracks are different.
Old February 3rd, 2011 | 05:00 AM

Bench to buckets

I understood to switch from bench to buckets I would have to buy a set of reproduced brackets ($50-60) locate and weld them in then I should be good to go ?????????
Old February 3rd, 2011 | 05:09 AM

What shifter do you have now? Consol or Column?
Old February 3rd, 2011 | 02:34 PM

Shifter and console

car was orignal column shift, but someone put in a aftermarket hurst shifter and reworked steering column.
Old February 4th, 2011 | 05:46 AM

Sorry, I'm a bit confused. I thought you were looking for a Hurst shifter
Old February 4th, 2011 | 09:12 AM

shifter

I was lookiing at options to install original bucket seats and a 69 H/O Dual Gate shifter/console. Whats in the car is an aftermarket Hurst(now B&M).
Old February 4th, 2011 | 09:20 AM

Gottcha

You can get the repo shorty consol [like the one I lined w/ fiberglass because it is flimsey] and get a Olds Dual gate off of e-bay. You need to change out the speedometer if it hasn't been done yet.
Old February 4th, 2011 | 10:06 AM

Hey 69OLDSCUTCONV,

Would you mind sharing a picture of the shifter that is in your car. I am going to buckets and trying to decide on a stock look or aftermarket. I would be interested to see what your setup looks like.

I switched from bench to buckets on my Chevelle and am doing the same on my Cutlass. They make a very cheap 2 piece set of inner brackets that will work but the best are the ones repop'd by Goodmark. It is a 4 piece set. The inner pieces each have two studs and the outers are a single stud that mounts over the threaded hole in the pan. All 4 need to be welded into place. Once you get past pulling out all the carpet, its not a bad project.

Here are photos of the cheap set, the repop and a pair drilled from a A-Body donor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
junk.jpg (16.7 KB, 3 views)
Repop.jpg (14.5 KB, 5 views)
GM.jpg (87.9 KB, 8 views)