68 lower dash bezel removal??

Search this Thread

Old October 15th, 2009, 06:39 PM

68 lower dash bezel removal??

What is the easiest and best way to remove/replace the lower dash bezel on a 68? I am talking about the long black w/chrome trim plastic piece that houses the switches. I need to access the wiring behind it to repair some cut wires and think that's the best way. Or is it??
Old October 15th, 2009, 07:06 PM

Hi Charlie
I've always removed the complete dash assembly, then separated the pad from the long plastic lower section. I'm not sure you can remove the lower plastic and leave the pad on. I've got a dashboard in the garage, If you don't get a for sure answer by tomorrow evening I'll try to take some pictures of how the pad is attached to the long plastic piece. John
Old October 16th, 2009, 09:10 AM

Nope, they're connected by screws. You'd have to remove screws into the pad first, which I think would be extremely difficult with it connected to the dash. I could be wrong, but basically, it's easiest if you remove the pad and the bezel. Thanks to the speedo cable, it doesn't pull out that far. So, you might want to remove that as well.

Don't forget, there's a screw, I believe, up in between the speedo pod and the clock/tach pod holding the pad and bezel to the dash. Check the assembly manual if you can't find it. It's a real joy getting to that one.

Last edited by 68Tom; October 16th, 2009 at 09:12 AM.
Old October 16th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 68Tom
Nope, they're connected by screws. You'd have to remove screws into the pad first, which I think would be extremely difficult with it connected to the dash. I could be wrong, but basically, it's easiest if you remove the pad and the bezel. Thanks to the speedo cable, it doesn't pull out that far. So, you might want to remove that as well.

Don't forget, there's a screw, I believe, up in between the speedo pod and the clock/tach pod holding the pad and bezel to the dash. Check the assembly manual if you can't find it. It's a real joy getting to that one.
What he said. Either get used to the idea of being upside down with your head under the dash and your legs draped over the seatback, or remove the front seat.