68 442 quarter glass chrome molding install

Search this Thread

Old January 11th, 2014, 06:58 AM

68 442 quarter glass chrome molding install

I'm rebuilding a 1968 442 convertable I'm in the process of replacing the rear quarter glass chrome strip and molding I removed the chrome strip and molding I purchased a new strip and molding but I am having a hard time installing it on the glass, the rubber that was given keeps ripping when I am installing it, I'm not sure if there is a trick to replace them or is the chrome aftermarket strip the problem, if there is anyone that can share some knowledge I would appreciate it
Old January 11th, 2014, 07:04 AM

I haven't done this specifically but I would try to lubricate the rubber with dishwash soap so it doesn't stick to the glass so much during install.
Old January 11th, 2014, 07:45 AM

Take a look at how the molding fits the glass without the rubber and see if the profile of the molding is exactly the same as the glass. I did a 69 conv and found the molding profile was not that close which was the reason I had fits installing it. I ended up using the originals as mine were not that bad and they installed easily. Had I known this was going to be an issue, I would have had my originals rechromed when other chrome work was done. I returned one of the repop ones I had as one of the original rubber inserts was still usable. I used the new rubber from the repop one and if I had more time I would have spoken with a glass company to see what they offered for the rubber strips.

You can try the soap as mentioned but I would suggest water with a few drops of liquid soap rather than all liquid soap.
Old January 12th, 2014, 09:30 PM

First thing I'd do is throw away the rubber strips that were sent with the repro moldings and get some real Glass Tape like the factory used to install these moldings. Try a local auto glass place or a glass shop and see if they have any glass tape.

As already mentioned, inspect the repro parts CLOSELY. I recently tried to install a pair of these repro moldings on a '70 442 hardtop and one side was acting pretty stubborn. Inspected the inner edge of the chrome molding and found one or two "spikes" of excess metal that had been chromed over. Compared to the originals that came off the car and the originals were much better along these inner edges.

Ended up sending one of the repros back as well....it had nicks/dings under the chrome and a bunch of discolored spots in the chrome.

Take it easy "hammering" these repro pieces onto the glass. It's almost too easy to bend and distort the metal when you are tapping it into place and even when using some sort of isolator on the chrome to tap on. I suspect these things are either slightly thinner metal than the originals or a bit softer.