1967 Cutlass Sedan - Rear Package Tray Issue

Search this Thread

Old February 15th, 2022, 10:53 AM

Exclamation 1967 Cutlass Sedan - Rear Package Tray Issue

Hi,

First of all, my apologies if I should have posted this in the Cutlass section instead of Interior/Upholstery. Next, I should probably acknowledge that I may be the only person restoring a 1967 Cutlass Town Sedan (4dr post), so the information I'm providing may be of limited relevance.

In October, I purchased a rear package tray form OPGI. The quality was good, but it didn’t fit; It was about 2 inches short in depth. They asked for photos and measurements which I provided. They apologized and sent me another one which arrived last week. Unfortunately, it was exactly the same size, so it didn’t fit, either (of course).

I had a long email conversation with them over several days and took pictures and measurements at their request and they couldn’t figure out what was wrong, so they issued me a full refund (I now have two aqua colored rear parcel trays with rear speaker holes if anybody wants one.)

I think I know what was wrong, and I told them as much, although they didn’t seem interested in my assessment. I haven’t worked on old American cars for decades but I did have a ‘67 CS 2dr hardtop about thirty years ago which got me thinking, “I wonder if the rear parcel trays are different even though OPGI’s description said their product fit all ‘67s?” Well, just looking at pictures on the internet pretty much convinced me that they are indeed different due to the rear window configurations. I don’t have a 2dr hardtop at my disposal to measure, so I really can’t say I know.

Anyway, OPGI was very nice and issued a full refund without any requirement to ship the trays back, so good for them.

On the other hand, I didn’t get a sense that they knew much about the product they sold me, so I will be very careful in the future to do outside research before ordering.
Old February 15th, 2022, 02:35 PM
Administrator

OPGI is not a manufacturer of parts, just a reseller, they ought to be more specific on what their parts fit as there is a difference between a 4dr sedan and 2 doors. List your 2 pkg trays in the parts for sale section
Old February 15th, 2022, 02:57 PM

You may have to fabricate your own package tray. There's not much demand for the 4 door cars so repop companies may not make them. I have the same car, 1967 4 door post aqua on aqua. The sun has cooked my package tray and the top of the rear seat. I'm not going to keep it original so when I get around to it I'll come up with something that will function but not be original. John
Old February 15th, 2022, 02:59 PM

The 67 4drs have 2 different styles of rear glass, one slopes in and one doesn't. There could be a difference between these as well as the 2dr. But I have had issues with OPGI with ill fitting rear seat covers and then an argument as if was the original owner of the car or not because the seat may have been swapped and not original causing the fit issue....
Old February 15th, 2022, 05:48 PM
Oldsdruid

Check with the Chevelle vendors and Ames Performance Engineering. Chevelle and Tempest sedans will use the same part as an F85/Cutlass town sedan. If it's available one of them should have it.

Another idea is to source a sheet of package tray material and measure and cut your own.
Old February 15th, 2022, 07:15 PM

The rear package tray for a 4 door hartop and 4 door sedan are different. I have a 66 F85 Deluxe 4 door hardtop that I got the wrong package tray for. They sent a 4 door sedan. It's turquoise. If you're close or willing to pay shipping it's yours. Shipping might be a little high.
Old February 16th, 2022, 09:00 AM

I have a 1969 4 door hardtop and was having a hard time finding a package tray. I ended up buying one from Fusick. It was not in their catalog but one of their salesman was able to provide me with sketches and dimensions and get me the correct tray.
Old February 16th, 2022, 10:59 AM
Old(s) Fart

The only package trays that OPGI sells are for Chevelles. They ***-U-ME that Chevy=GM, but that is frequently not the case. FYI, the Chevelle post four door and the Cutlass post four door use different back windows. That implies that the package tray isn't the same either.
Old February 16th, 2022, 12:00 PM

OPGI part number for 4 door sedan for 1966 and 1967 is RSS64 and pick your color.$34.99
Old February 16th, 2022, 01:06 PM

Thanks for all the replies! You are all really helpful. There is a nice place left on the Internet!

oldcutlass: I only have one shipping box left, but I will consider listing the part in the for sale section. Thanks for the suggestion.
2blu442: Fabricating is an option; I've been thinking about cutting a strip (strips?) off of one tray to make up for the gap in the other.
Oldsmaniac: I'm glad OPGI didn't go the blame the customer route on me. That sucks.
rocketraider: Thanks for tips, I will look into Ames Performance Engineering.
66SportCoupe: Google Maps says 22 hours each way from Kennewick, WA to St. Michael, MN, so probably too far! Thanks for the offer! The OPGI part that I received (twice) that doesn't work for a 1967 4dr post Cutlass is Part# RSS65 - the tray with the rear speaker cutout. One number off. Do you happen to have a depth measurement (rear window to seat) for RSS64?
Noel Anderson: Thanks for the tip on Fusick. I will look into that route.
joe_padavano: That's very useful information; thanks for sharing it, and for helping me out twice, now.

Thanks again for all the replies. I'm still a bit uncertain as to what's even available for my situation, or if vendors even know. I knew a 4 door post was going to be something of a challenge. I always want something weird. I will follow the leads and info you've all provide.

Let me know if my reply here doesn't follow the etiquette of your forum; I like to think of myself as an agreeable person, but I've been off the Internet for years, so I'm pretty clueless. I will post a new user intro for myself shortly.
Old February 16th, 2022, 02:54 PM

I would give you a measurement but i don't have a 4 door sedan here only a hardtop. They for sure are completely different. Also chevelle is different from the Olds
Old March 29th, 2022, 06:28 PM

I also have issues with the OPGI listing for their interior parts. I currently have a package tray that listed for a 442 holiday hardtop when I ordered it, lo and behold it is the style that OP needs. I also have sail panels that are apparently for a post car. I hate to be the guy that rags on a parts seller but this is terrible.