1962 Starfire Headliner

Old October 28th, 2018, 09:18 AM

1962 Starfire Headliner

I need a new headliner for my 1962 Starfire. Has anyone used the OEM product from SMS Fabrics in Oregon? If so, has it held up? Also, any difficulties dealing with SMS? Yhanks
Old October 28th, 2018, 12:52 PM
Oldsdruid

Didn't know anyone was making Starfoam headliners, though with the Buick, Olds and Cadillac market it would make sense to do so.

I personally have had very good dealings with SMS, but in last few years others say they take forever and are unresponsive to email and phone contact. These complaints were usually over door panels, not fabric itself.
Old October 29th, 2018, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Didn't know anyone was making Starfoam headliners, though with the Buick, Olds and Cadillac market it would make sense to do so.

I personally have had very good dealings with SMS, but in last few years others say they take forever and are unresponsive to email and phone contact. These complaints were usually over door panels, not fabric itself.
I do not believe SMS, nor anyone else for that matter, is producing the Starlite foam headliner used by Oldsmobile/GM in the early 60's.

If anyone knows for certain that I am wrong on this, do correct me.

I suspect what SMS and others offer is a vinyl liner?

Last edited by D. Yaros; November 1st, 2018 at 11:27 AM.
Old October 29th, 2018, 01:22 PM

I have seen folks use a corduroy-looking vinyl material with great success. The vinyl can be purchased from SMS.

As far as SMS goes, I ordered seat covers for my Starfire from them in February and was told a 6 to 8 week turnaround time. Having heard nothing, I contacted them in July and was told that the leather "had just come in," and that they should be done by the end of August. I guess they meant August 2019...
Old October 30th, 2018, 11:23 AM
Ben

Originally Posted by Oldsfan
I have seen folks use a corduroy-looking vinyl material with great success. The vinyl can be purchased from SMS.

As far as SMS goes, I ordered seat covers for my Starfire from them in February and was told a 6 to 8 week turnaround time. Having heard nothing, I contacted them in July and was told that the leather "had just come in," and that they should be done by the end of August. I guess they meant August 2019...
I have a customer that is on a year + wait for seat covers and door panels from SMS. I have another customer who ordered a specific grain vinyl in a specific color from SMS- after a 6 month wait, it was sent to legendary to be made into covers, when it arrived the color was visibly peeling off at the stiching, and piercings in the cover (vent holes) the color was sprayed on over black vinyl.

I can't stay far enough away from them.
Old October 31st, 2018, 10:14 AM

1962 Starfire Headliner

Thanks to all for your comments. As I suspected, regarding SMS fabrics. I had big problems with them 13 years ago. Have not use them since.
Old October 31st, 2018, 01:47 PM

The problem we are all having with SMS is only going to get worse as they are buying up all of the suppliers of old materials. The guy in Michigan and the guy in southern California sold out their stock to them and I've heard of other shops too.
Steve
Old November 1st, 2018, 06:07 AM

That headliner was crap then and id they made it now it would be crap in a couple years. The material started falling apart after a couple of years back then. I put the vinyl in my 63 Wildcat.in 93 still looks good.
Old November 12th, 2018, 09:31 PM

Try Automotive Interiors in Massachusetts ask for Diane, they might be able to find something close to what you need.
Old November 13th, 2018, 07:10 AM

I agree with KCAT. That was some terrible material from the start. I spent many days, as a kid, in the back of my parents 62 Starfire. This was the early 70's. And the headliner looked like the ceiling of a cave then. Little bits and pieces hanging down all over. It just turned to dust if you touched it.
I would opt for another material.