anyone selling a 83-84

Search this Thread

Old December 17th, 2014, 03:56 AM

anyone selling a 83-84

anyone selling their 83 or 84? here in the 808 state, they are rarely seen. I've been trying to buy from peeps from the u.s mainland, but nobody wants to ship to me, even though i'm buying blindly. Let me know. Got cash on hand. Happy holidays to all!
Old December 17th, 2014, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by jusrushem69
I've been trying to buy from peeps from the u.s mainland, but nobody wants to ship to me
Who won't ship to you? The buyer? Once the car is purchased, who cares what the buyer thinks or will or won't do. You arrange the shipping. I have to believe some shipping service will get the car to you. After all, that's how every car in Hawaii got there.
Old December 17th, 2014, 09:42 AM
Runner

I feel like there have been quick a few hurst (83-84) on the market in all sorts of different conditions recently. I agree with Jaunty. I've sold cars to many people states away. Car didn't leave me garage until I had the cash, but once that was settled, I was always more then happy to be at my home when the shipper took it away.

Shipping a car to Hawaii sounds expensive. Good Luck
Old December 17th, 2014, 05:51 PM

what i meant was that, when i asked people who were selling their cars, asked if they'd ship it to honolulu, they said, no. you must come here to pick up, & ship it yourself, even though i'd send them money through western union or so.
Old December 17th, 2014, 06:05 PM

what i meant was that, when i asked people who were selling their cars, asked if they'd ship it to honolulu, they said, no. you must come here to pick up, & ship it yourself, even though i'd send them money through western union or so.
I don't blame them. I wouldn't do this even if I was a seller and the buyer was 10 feet away let alone an ocean away. Once you buy the car, it's YOUR car. Why should I take continued responsibility for it? YOU arrange the shipping. YOU deal with the shipper. All it takes is phone calls, and you can do that even from Hawaii. All the seller has to do is be home when the truck pulls up to to haul it away.

I just sold my '73 Custom Cruiser to a buyer in Illinois. He sent me the money to pay for the car. It then sat in my garage for a few weeks afterwards until HE arranged with a shipper of HIS CHOOSING to pick it up, and it was just picked up last Friday. As a seller, I wouldn't have it any other way. If any problems arise, it's between him and the shipper who is shipping HIS CAR. I as a third party do not want nor need to be involved.

Originally Posted by Joffroi
Car didn't leave me garage until I had the cash, but once that was settled, I was always more then happy to be at my home when the shipper took it away.
I couldn't have said it better.
Old December 17th, 2014, 06:47 PM

Yeah, this isn't like a light switch that any idiot can box up and post.

The buyer must arrange the shipping. Should be ea$$$y.

Oh, and what is an 808 state? Is that code for Hawaii? Area code? Evidently not ZIP code since CA is already into the 95x's... or more
Old December 18th, 2014, 02:28 AM

what a response. you both have a happy holiday season. 808 is hawaii area code.
Old December 18th, 2014, 05:07 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Ummm, not to oversimplify, but really? Not a big deal helping to ship a car with a buyer. If he has paid for it, just means a few phone calls on the sellers part.

Good luck in your quest, if I had one, it would be on its way to the Island...

Ted
Old December 18th, 2014, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by sammy
just means a few phone calls on the sellers part
Or just a few phone calls on the buyer's part. And since the buyer is doing the paying, and since the shipper will want to send the contract to the person doing the paying and get a deposit before anything else happens, it makes no sense at all for the person who is NOT paying to make any of the phone calls.

When I sold my wagon, the first and only time I got involved was when the driver called me the day before he was coming to load the car to arrange the time.
Old December 18th, 2014, 10:46 AM

what a response. you both have a happy holiday season.
We're sorry if a little dose of reality is causing you gas pains. But if you want a car that's on the mainland, arranging your own shipping is very likely what you will have to do. We're sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear.
Old December 18th, 2014, 01:54 PM
C.W. Griswold

Friendliness....

what a response. you both have a happy holiday season. 808 is hawaii area code.
Hey,
I do have an '84 H/O, however I am not selling. I will tell you this, I have had nice helpful replies on here and then sometimes not. I have sold several cars out of state and it was easy with communication on BOTH parts.
It should be handled by the buyer, yes, but if someone wants to sell a car they need to help. I would help arrange shipping if I wanted money out of a car it is that simple. When I sold my '57 Chevy to Australia it took effort on my part as well as the buyer or else I would still have a car.

Some of us want to spread knowledge and gain information and keep this fun. Others, well not so much. The key is the desire to be nice and helpful. So, I hope you do have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! I hope, in the future that you can get help on here instead of what you already got.
Old December 18th, 2014, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Daniel Marsh
I hope, in the future that you can get help on here instead of what you already got.
He got the answer he was looking for. He may not like it, but he got it. If he wants to buy a car and have it shipped somewhere, it's up to him to arrange the shipping. Nothing terribly surprising nor rocket science about that.

There is very little that a third party (the seller) can do to help. The shipper will want to speak with the person who is actually paying for the shipping to first agree on price, then as a place to send the contract for signing, and then from which to get the deposit, without which nothing can happen. All this can be done by email, even from Hawaii. When the vehicle is delivered, it will be the buyer paying the driver.

All of you who seem to think that there is something the seller can do to help in arranging the shipping, other than making the car available when the driver wants to pick it up, please explain exactly what.

Last edited by jaunty75; December 18th, 2014 at 02:05 PM.
Old December 18th, 2014, 03:30 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Get a shipping quote, and send to buyer. he agrees , and advances the money for car and shipping. Wait for truck to arrive(usually 24 hr notice).Realizing that buyer and seller are keeping each other informed on a regular basis. It really is a simple, and kinda fun process, and you help a buyer that may not live in your country, State/Province. Total time invested...maybe 5 hours.Seller has the money and the car is fully insured before it is loaded.... If a Broker is needed, I arranged one thru the shipping company, and she sent the necessary docs to both parties. I think that I split that cost with the buyer.....In the end, you facilitate a car sale, and make the process for the buyer easier

Last edited by sammy; December 18th, 2014 at 05:07 PM.
Old December 25th, 2014, 09:07 AM
www.gbodyolds.com

Guys, this guy is a foreign scammer.
I was contacted via PM and he has no clue where to start on shipping and is asking me for a quote which tells me thats a scammer.
If I am clueless on something I at least Google it.
He wont even provide a phone number, just an email.
I have had 3 cars shipped.
Shipping is 100% on the buyers end, there is absolutely nothing I can do nor do I need the headaches from an idiot who can't educate themselves on a major issue with a high dollar transaction.
He's phishing for a sucker to pay the shipping up front and then reimburse with the total cost of the car with a fradulent check when the car is picked up.
Hes playing the innocent dumb card to pull a scam.
First red flag you guys should have all picked up on are the words Western Union.

Last edited by 88hurstolds; December 25th, 2014 at 09:11 AM.
Old December 25th, 2014, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by 88hurstolds
Shipping is 100% on the buyers end
Something I've been maintaining from the start.

Originally Posted by 88hurstolds
He's phishing for a sucker to pay the shipping up front and then reimburse with the total cost of the car with a fradulent check.

Hes playing the innocent dumb card to pull a scam.
Not surprising.

I encountered this exact thing when selling my '02 Dodge Dakota about year and a half ago. A couple of "buyers" offered (via text messages--never did speak to them on the phone) to buy the truck if I would arrange the shipping and they advance me the money via Paypal. I ran screaming from the room.

(Ended up selling locally to a high-school kid who paid cash--with help from his parents--and drove home his first vehicle. He was thrilled.)
Old December 25th, 2014, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Although I prefer the buyer to arrange shipping, I've arranged shipping for overseas buyers up front. The vehicle will not ship until funds are in my possession and cleared the bank. The buyer needs to disclose a valid phone, a good address, and any other info to consummate the sale. Overseas shipping is not near as easy as shipping within the states.
Old December 25th, 2014, 12:57 PM

Not a foreign scammer. Just a guy who is looking for a car, & some help. Anyway, Happy holidays to all.
Old December 25th, 2014, 06:59 PM

have anice 83ho also non running 84 hocall tomorrow if interested bob 813 267 5107
Old December 28th, 2014, 06:12 AM
Runner

Not sure if the original poster was still looking, but I just saw this pop up in hawaii CL.
http://www.oldsmobilecentral.com/for...ds-Kapolei.php
Old December 28th, 2014, 06:15 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Nice!
Old December 28th, 2014, 06:31 AM
Lansing built

He still might incur shipping cost yet! Depending on which island that the OP lives on? Yes, still less than the mainland. The one above is on Oahu.

Pat
Old December 28th, 2014, 06:40 PM

thanks jeffroi for the info.