Insurance value

Search this Thread

Old June 25th, 2020, 07:06 AM

Insurance value

I have finally finished a frame off resto of a 72 H/O coupe. So now it's insurance time and I was wondering what $$$ amount do other owners insure their vehicles for? State Farm said to pick a value and they would take some pics and let me know if they would agree. Now I have to say this car is not a concourse as I have made engine and drivetrain mods (headers, intake, pistons-10.5 compression, 69 H/O camshaft with fuel injection and GV overdrive). But is Grundy or some other insurer a good deal? I don't see H/O's as any choice to insure on some of these websites. I plan on driving this car a lot so it will be on the street.

Last edited by EdwardB; June 25th, 2020 at 07:10 AM.
Old June 25th, 2020, 07:11 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by EdwardB
I don't see H/O's as any choice to insure on some of these websites.
Because a) the VIN says that it is a Cutlass Supreme, and b) with only 629 built, insurance company databases don't even recognize that package.
Be sure to provide lots of documentation.
Old June 25th, 2020, 07:39 AM
Administrator

You want an Agreed Value insurance policy In other words in case of a total loss you get what the value of the car is, nothingelse is acceptable. You can google the differences in policies to become familiar. Do your research on what the value of your car is and go from there.
Old June 25th, 2020, 07:53 AM

If only all those years of blood, sweat and tears had an accepted value.
Old June 25th, 2020, 10:48 AM

I have used State Farm for a really long time and their agreed value policy is one of the best prices I have found. Just be sure it is the "agreed value policy" and not the stated value. My agent refuses to even set people up with the stated value policy and explains why to people. As far as value, As long as you are in the range of what they really sell for or even slightly more, you will not likely have any trouble with getting the agreed policy. I had some trouble with one of my Jetfire but in the end they agreed to my amount. The problem was that there was not enough data out there for them to find my car was worth that much. Just not many Jetfire sell in a public setting to get a record of value.

Last edited by jensenracing77; June 25th, 2020 at 04:12 PM.
Old June 25th, 2020, 10:48 AM
MOTORHEAD

I would get an expert appraisal done and then call Hagerty Insurance
My 1972 Cutlass supreme V code had a few thousand $$ of damage due to tree sap on the finish
State Farm told me they were going to total the car and give me $3000
I showed them the appraisal and told them NO you will be giving me $18,500 a stated value in the policy I had
They paid about $4500 on the claim to fix the finish on my car
Then I went with Hagerty
Today the agreed value on my car is $38,500 and the premium is only a few hundred $$ per year
Old June 25th, 2020, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by 11971four4two
I would get an expert appraisal done and then call Hagerty Insurance
My 1972 Cutlass supreme V code had a few thousand $$ of damage due to tree sap on the finish
State Farm told me they were going to total the car and give me $3000
I showed them the appraisal and told them NO you will be giving me $18,500 a stated value in the policy I had
They paid about $4500 on the claim to fix the finish on my car
Then I went with Hagerty
Today the agreed value on my car is $38,500 and the premium is only a few hundred $$ per year
If it was a "stated value" policy then you are lucky you even got that. With an agreed value policy they can't get away with that.
Old June 25th, 2020, 11:07 AM
Olds Fanatic

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
I have used State Farm for a really long time and their agreed value policy is one of the best prices I have found. Just be sure it is the "agreed value policy" and not the stated value. My agent refuses to even set people up with the agreed value policy and explains why to people. As far as value, As long as you are in the range of what they really sell for or even slightly more, you will not likely have any trouble with getting the agreed policy. I had some trouble with one of my Jetfire but in the end they agreed to my amount. The problem was that there was not enough data out there for them to find my car was worth that much. Just not many Jetfire sell in a public setting to get a record of value.

x2. I have all three of our cars and home insured with them. My 69 H/O is insured with them at an agreed value and they were cheaper than Grundy & Hagerty (by far).
Old June 25th, 2020, 12:38 PM

I think you may have typed something incorrectly here.

Last edited by Fun71; June 25th, 2020 at 05:17 PM. Reason: deleted quote
Old June 25th, 2020, 12:42 PM

State Farm is one of the more expensive insurance Companies out there. If you really want to save some money, try Esurance. For classic cars with an Agreed Value, give Grundy a try.
Old June 25th, 2020, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
I think you may have typed something incorrectly here.
Thank you! Fixed it
Old June 25th, 2020, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by RandyS
State Farm is one of the more expensive insurance Companies out there. If you really want to save some money, try Esurance. For classic cars with an Agreed Value, give Grundy a try.
Really? Not in my area. It is WAY less than Hagerty for me. That said, I am getting ready to switch my Jetfire cars to another place but my daily drivers and home owners is far less than any place else in my area. Maybe it is because I have been with them since I the early 90's... I check other places now and then and nothing even comes close for me.
Old June 25th, 2020, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
Really? Not in my area. It is WAY less than Hagerty for me. That said, I am getting ready to switch my Jetfire cars to another place but my daily drivers and home owners is far less than any place else in my area. Maybe it is because I have been with them since I the early 90's... I check other places now and then and nothing even comes close for me.
I was with State Farm for 30 years, and every year the premiums went up a bit. Finally, in 2008 they went up almost 50%. I cut them loose and went with 'The Hartford', and saved almost $1000 between Homeowners and 3 cars. Last year The Hartford tried to do me like State Farm did, so I cut them loose, and again saved over $1000 by switching to Esurance. Have you actually gotten a quote from them? I bet you'll be surprised.
Old June 25th, 2020, 07:42 PM
'72 Cutlass ragtop

I've had Grundy for over 10 years and at least 3 different vehicles that i can remember, currently my '72 Cutlass ragtop - $325/year full coverage and agreed value.

Have never had a claim with them to know how they'd respond on one but there are basically no limits on mileage and none on vehicle use except for school and work travel. So pretty much all personal cruising/travel uses are covered.

I'm a commercial liability adjuster by profession so I know my way around insurance claims - Agreed value/full coverage through a specialty policy on a classic is the only way to insure them in my opinion - Grundy, Hagerty, etc. Don't let rates be your guide in that regard, what you save up front could cost you a bunch more in $$ and frustration on the back end...

Last edited by 70sgeek; June 25th, 2020 at 07:50 PM.
Old June 27th, 2020, 11:13 AM

The issue isnt premium costs, as much as how well your insurer treats you when you have to file a claim. Check out those facts before buying a policy.
Old June 27th, 2020, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by 70W-32
The issue isnt premium costs, as much as how well your insurer treats you when you have to file a claim. Check out those facts before buying a policy.
Unfortunately I just had to put a claim in w/ American Collectors. Got a very detailed, accurate estimate with nearly every line explained with a note for the procedure or part source, did all the parts legwork so they didn’t have to. Probably 30 pics, damage highlighted with marker to be sure it is clear & understood in each photo. Claim reported, processed, docs submitted & check in my hands Inside of 7-10 days. Couldn’t have been easier though I hope to never have to file a claim again, ever.
Old June 27th, 2020, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by bccan
Unfortunately I just had to put a claim in w/ American Collectors. Got a very detailed, accurate estimate with nearly every line explained with a note for the procedure or part source, did all the parts legwork so they didn’t have to. Probably 30 pics, damage highlighted with marker to be sure it is clear & understood in each photo. Claim reported, processed, docs submitted & check in my hands Inside of 7-10 days. Couldn’t have been easier though I hope to never have to file a claim again, ever.
Thats a great response, instead of them trying to explain why you can't get paid.