HO "tribute 69" on ebay

Search this Thread

Old December 3rd, 2009, 02:42 PM

HO "tribute 69" on ebay

check this out

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Oldsm...item4a9cc34071
Old December 3rd, 2009, 03:21 PM

If it came with the giant hurst shifter standing on top of the trunk I would have put in a bid.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 03:41 PM

Interesting air cleaner
Old December 3rd, 2009, 05:08 PM
Telecom Guru

I'm not blown away by the paint job or the panel fit. Good, but doesn't seem like $60K worth of good (but it now price) considering it's a clone.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 05:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 68conv455
If it came with the giant hurst shifter standing on top of the trunk I would have put in a bid.
If it came with Linda Vaughn I would have put in a bid.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 05:33 PM
Trying to remember member

I like the "highest flowing O-heads". Other than that, it doesn't look too bad. Pricey, though. Or so the seller thinks.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 05:40 PM

Well, it is after all a:
2007 Dick Miller Olds National winner!

Old December 3rd, 2009, 08:44 PM
is Fast Enough ...

I like how he puts in a pic of a real one...
Old December 4th, 2009, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
If it came with Linda Vaughn I would have put in a bid.

It comes with Rachel Uchitel
Old December 4th, 2009, 08:20 AM

With the ad stating: "This is possibly the best tribute Hurst Olds in the country! Hundreds of hours in research to offer as correct as possible..." makes me wonder why it has a 'stant' radiator cap, Holley double pumper, Edlebrock alumunum intake painted red, heater hose routed under the AC compressor... may seem like trivial 'nit picking', but when you state somthing like that, I say you leave your self open to detailed scrutineering.

Originally Posted by jslabotsky
I'm not blown away by the paint job or the panel fit. Good, but doesn't seem like $60K worth of good (but it now price) considering it's a clone.
Old December 4th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by 1969Hurst
With the ad stating: "This is possibly the best tribute Hurst Olds in the country! Hundreds of hours in research to offer as correct as possible..." makes me wonder why it has a 'stant' radiator cap, Holley double pumper, Edlebrock alumunum intake painted red, heater hose routed under the AC compressor... may seem like trivial 'nit picking', but when you state somthing like that, I say you leave your self open to detailed scrutineering.
Sure thing. If no claims are made, fine, then it is what it is. But when you start running your mouth about it being this or that.......
Old December 4th, 2009, 10:29 AM
1970 442

Well, I said it before and I'll say it again. This is the result of supporting companies like The Parts Place. Right from their catalog....

Body Panels - HURST OLDS APPEARANCE KIT

Product Name Price Quantity BP9872T
(1969 - 1969 Cutlass/442) HURST OLDSMOBILE CUTLASS FACTORY APPEARANCE KIT H/O - COMPLETE KIT TO CONVERT ANY 1969 CUTLASS "S" 442 OR CONVERTIBLE INTO A 69 HURST OLDS LOOK-A-LIKE. KIT INCLUDES: 1 DUAL SNORKEL HOOD SCOOP, 1 PAIR OF SPECIAL MIRRORS AND MOUNTING HARDWARE, 1 REAR SPOILER WING, 3 HURST OLDS EMBLEMS, 455 H/O SCOOP DECALS, 1 DOC WATSON GLOVE BOX EMBLEM. ANOTHER PART NOT INCLUDED THAT WOULD TAKE YOUR CAR UP A NOTCH IS A SET OF ORIGINAL 455 "D" HEADS, WHICH WE ARE ALSO REPRODUCING. WITH THE PARTS WE MAKE YOU CAN BUILD AN EXACT DUPLICATE OF THE FAMED 1969 HURST OLDS

$929.00
Old December 4th, 2009, 10:55 AM

I thought you were joking about the D-Heads, holy cow - you aren't
Old December 4th, 2009, 11:36 AM
"me somebody" site member

I bought an ersatz '66 tri-carb car back in 1999; it came with the orginal manifold, 4 bbl carb and open element air cleaner in the trunk. It had rubber fuel lines and a cheap plastic in-line fuel filter, short oil filler tube, the wrong throttle rod, etc etc. Over time, I bought the things needed to make the car look more correct underhood, including the correct fuel filter bowl assembly(which at the time was not reproed). I sold the car a few years ago, advertising it as exactly what it was. Since then, I have seen it offered by two separate sellers as an original tri-carb car. It even got a shiney new cowl tag along the way to correct a pesky color change.

Another car, a '65 Starfire convertible I, uh, converted to 4 speed using all factory parts and later sold as a conversion turned up for sale THREE TIMES to my knowledge alone as a FACTORY 4 speed car. I provided proof that I converted the car to two of the sellers of my former Starfire (the thrid time, it sold at an auction and I was unaware until after the fact), who were honest enough to subsequently retract their claim. I didn't even bother contacting the sellers of my former tri-carb car; enough people know what's happened to that car that I didn't have to. Not that the price doesn't keeps ratcheting up every time the car is offered for sale (I assume it will become a fully documented car the next time around, as I hear the current owner just bought a pizza oven and some repro window stickers).

A car only has to change hands ONCE for this kinda thing to happen. Arguably then, anyone who tries to make his car look as correct as possible is doing a disservice to the Olds community?! At least this '69 could NEVER be advertised as an original and will never fool anyone (even if it had been done a bit better).

Last edited by aliensatemybuick; December 4th, 2009 at 11:40 AM.
Old December 5th, 2009, 09:01 AM

Unfortunately that hit's the nail right on the head, one persons 'tribute' car could be the next unscrupulous persons passing of a real car. I don't even know how you would go about buying somthing like a 1970 W-31, without documentation you would have to consider it a copy? The best defense is being as knowledgeable as you can get about your purchase.

Originally Posted by aliensatemybuick
A car only has to change hands ONCE for this kinda thing to happen. Arguably then, anyone who tries to make his car look as correct as possible is doing a disservice to the Olds community?! At least this '69 could NEVER be advertised as an original and will never fool anyone (even if it had been done a bit better).
Old December 5th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Banned

look at the black pinstriping,it's a mess

whoever did them must have had the shakes bad
Old December 5th, 2009, 11:42 PM
is Fast Enough ...

I would only build a "clone" on a vehicle with the model in the vin , like a 70 .

I guess with Olds you could always upgrade to a w ...

Old January 3rd, 2010, 08:55 PM

This car sold back in sept 2007 for 38,100 A lot of what this guy says in the current auction is BS as to what has recently been done by him.
Old January 21st, 2010, 07:27 AM

Those cars were pretty cool.I haven't seen a real one.Would be fun to drive to a show though.