Here it is, our new H/O category

Search this Thread

Old November 17th, 2008, 07:53 AM
Past Administrator

Here it is, our new H/O category

By popular demand, we present the new H/O sub-forum. Enjoy!
Old November 17th, 2008, 08:01 AM

68 H/O road test

I don't know how to move threads so I reposted this Oldie but Goodie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FINO_FKnbX0
Old November 17th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Oldsdruid

Now to get people to use it. Let's start by finding out how many Hurst/Olds we have on here.

Me: 1974 Y77 Pace Car replica with a Speedway history. Owned since 1996. Currently disassembled for paint (since 2004 actually). At one time it was the least optioned Hurst/Olds known to H/OCA. Hurst appearance package, A/C and AM-FM mono radio were it. I've since added a tilt column and courtesy lamp package.
Old November 17th, 2008, 09:48 AM

Only got one

69 H/O #198

C-60 AC
N-33 tilt steering
N-34 sport steering wheel
U-34 8 track
U-63 AM-FM
U-21 Rally package

plus the usual H/O options

Last edited by Jamesbo; November 17th, 2008 at 11:22 AM.
Old November 17th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Only got one

69 H/O #198
Cool. Mine is H/O #180
Old November 17th, 2008, 01:53 PM
'69 H/O

Thanks for this sub category.

One more recent H/O enthusiast here. Terry from upstate NY.

'69 H/O #229

Opts:

Tint
Tilt (added)
Sport Wheel
AM-FM (added)
anti-spin
3.91 axle
Rear air shocks (orig fac. opt. and no I don't drive around jacked up)

For any one interested in '69's here's a near perfectly restored engine bay (not mine) of a non-AC car I looked at in SC last year. It is H/O #881 and the superduper engine compartment detailing and restoration was done by Ken Millington of CA. This low res pic (had to shrink from 2 meg to upload) doesn't do it justice. Wish you could see detailed things better like fire wall stamps,brake line tags, paper "SK" tag on brake booster, and printing on brake vacuum hose, etc. Nice job! This was one of the '69's where the factory ran the red battery cable in the alternate location along the left valve cover in lieu of the left wheel house where is also commonly seen.

Old November 18th, 2008, 09:59 AM
'69 H/O

I'm trying this again, hopefully with a better pic.

Old November 18th, 2008, 10:40 AM

69 H/O

My 69 H/O is #28 according to the plate. I am the second owner (well 3rd). My Dad bought it for my Mom for her birthday in 1970. I inherited it from her when she passed away in 1985.
Old November 18th, 2008, 11:16 AM

Got any pics ya wanta share?
Old November 18th, 2008, 12:39 PM

Terry,

That's one loverly engine compartment but Whar's the fome at? [In the vernacular]
Old November 18th, 2008, 02:59 PM
'69 H/O

Wow, everyone so far has a '69.

M'Lisa, Yes, like Jamesbo suggests please post pics. Is the plate you mentioned with the H/O #28, the "Built especially for:" plate on the dash? So the car has been in your family since day one? That's cool. You must have some good stories about the car to share and probably know more about H/O than any of us. Don't be bashful. And now that we have our own H/O sub forum here I'm thinking you should become a regular poster here.

There's another '69 owner (new forum member) on here: Eric from Chicago. We have yet to hear from him.

Jamesbo, you have me on that one. I don't find "fome" in my yankee lexicon. Must be a southern thing.

Terry
Old November 18th, 2008, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by 93Code86GN
Thanks for this sub category.

One more recent H/O enthusiast here. Terry from upstate NY.

'69 H/O #229

Opts:

Tint
Tilt (added)
Sport Wheel
AM-FM (added)
anti-spin
3.91 axle
Rear air shocks (orig fac. opt. and no I don't drive around jacked up)

For any one interested in '69's here's a near perfectly restored engine bay (not mine) of a non-AC car I looked at in SC last year. It is H/O #881 and the superduper engine compartment detailing and restoration was done by Ken Millington of CA. This low res pic (had to shrink from 2 meg to upload) doesn't do it justice. Wish you could see detailed things better like fire wall stamps,brake line tags, paper "SK" tag on brake booster, and printing on brake vacuum hose, etc. Nice job! This was one of the '69's where the factory ran the red battery cable in the alternate location along the left valve cover in lieu of the left wheel house where is also commonly seen.

I've never seen a 69 h/o without the "fome" Didn't know what the 1st version of the flapper door looked like. Thanks for the pic.
Old November 18th, 2008, 07:08 PM
'69 H/O

Oh....that "fome". I'm a little dense Jim. Here I am looking it up in the dictionary and googling it. No hits on fome.

I have been so used to looking at that picture that I forgot it was missing. A new uninstalled "fome" was sitting in the trunk of this car. He (owner) said he hates the look that the "fome" takes on, all scrunched down, wrinkled and sometimes leaning one way. A "cleaner" look w/o it, neglecting the loss of "function". I have to admit, does look better.

Terry
Old November 18th, 2008, 07:48 PM
'69 H/O

Here are some more shots of a "flapper":

Old November 19th, 2008, 03:32 AM

Jamesbo, you have me on that one. I don't find "fome" in my yankee lexicon. Must be a southern thing.

Terry
I ain't real sure what a lexicon is but my fat fingers were spose to type foam [as in rubber dounut that seals the top can to the hood]

Terry,

Did ya put dat thing in the washer/dryer? Sure did come out nice and clean

Turn it over do you have 3 or 4 holes in the bottom of the air cleaner base?

FYI these top cans are being reproduced for 69 H/O if anyone needs one PM me.

Last edited by Jamesbo; November 19th, 2008 at 04:45 AM.
Old November 19th, 2008, 09:29 AM

I lurk from time to time... got an '83.
Old November 19th, 2008, 11:07 AM
'69 H/O

Hi Luke, Welcome aboard. Don't be bashful. Join right in when yur lurkin'.

Jamesbo, Nope, no drains in there. I find that a little bit-o-water injection when you're going down the road perks things up a bit. Besides it's a good thing to steam the innards of those cylinders once and awhile. Not to mention that I don't want to get my intake dirty. Ha Ha.

Oh, yea, the wife gets kind of perturbed when I use the washing machine and dryer to clean car parts. Actually the dishwasher works alot better, especially in degrease mode, but that really, really gets her mad.
Old November 19th, 2008, 12:18 PM

HOLES

Hi Luke, Welcome aboard. Don't be bashful. Join right in when yur lurkin'.

Jamesbo, Nope, no drains in there. I find that a little bit-o-water injection when you're going down the road perks things up a bit. Besides it's a good thing to steam the innards of those cylinders once and awhile. Not to mention that I don't want to get my intake dirty. Ha Ha..
Geez Lousie, First we get a 69 H/O with no foam and now one w/o holes in the air cleaner base.

I sposes I'z gonna have to straighten ya'll out.

Well web rumor [and some Olds sites] says. As an after thought [ meaning some screaming customer came in and complained because his brand new 69 H/O had drowned] The dealership was spose to drill 4 small holes in the bottom of the air cleaners [I think 1/4 inch] so when the water came down the top can it wouldn't fill up the bottom of the air cleaners and dump into the carb.[Think about it, it makes perfect sense]
Dat scoop can consume a bunch of H2O in a down pour.

Zo, take out your top can and you will see that the smaller filter sits inside the first indented ring of the bottom of the air cleaner.

The 4 holes are spose to be drilled in that first ring [flat part] outside the air filter.

But before you do so, verify what I tell'in ya cause I don't want ya hollering at me if'in I'm slightly mistaken.

I'll hunt fer de web site, but I forget where it's at.

May you should ax Kurt, he's forgotten more than I will ever know.

Wait Terry here it tis, Eureka, I found it but it's 5 holes
http://members.***.net/witrob/scoop/scoop.html

Last edited by Jamesbo; November 19th, 2008 at 12:41 PM.
Old November 20th, 2008, 06:26 AM
'69 H/O

But if I drill those holes, I'll no longer enjoy the benefits of water injection when its raining.
Old November 20th, 2008, 09:02 AM

I know Paul has plugs for the hood scoops on his '69... we had to drive back in the rain from the Pure Stock Drags this year and he was showing them to me. We had the Sc/rambler on an open trailer, and stuffed the scoops with microfiber towels. Worked ok...
Old November 20th, 2008, 10:36 AM

But if I drill those holes, I'll no longer enjoy the benefits of water injection when its raining.

Well it's your ball and your bat.

If you want OWI it's cool by me, but you heard it here first.

OWI =Outside Water Induction
Old November 20th, 2008, 01:20 PM

Terry,

Iff'in ya don't wanta bore any holes in your air cleaner could you scan your Monroney fer me, I have one fer every car except my 69 H/O.

26 D'grees dis mawn'in in Gawga, Didn't need my A/C
Old November 20th, 2008, 02:57 PM

Pics

Here is a picture of me driving my car in 1989(?). I will be bringing my car over from Reno in the next few months and will take pictures of her then. Since this picture she was sideswiped and then I did all the body work and painted her.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
69 Hurst Olds avatar.JPG (3.3 KB, 369 views)
Old November 20th, 2008, 07:18 PM

Talking My H/O

Hi All,
My 69 H/O is Number 468. She went to Demmer on 5-7-69.

I bought her last spring with about about 61K miles on her. I don't have the full owner history, but I was told that she reportedly was out of Ohio, then went to Canada, then Massachusetts, where I bought her. I live in Chicago, but she has only made it Pennsylvania so far, where her restoration is under way.

She is a non-AC car and reportedly spent a good number of years at various dragstrips.

3.91 rear
AM-FM
Rally Pac

I don't remember about tilt and tint right now. She will have the sport wheel, but didn't come that way. I hope to be driving her by next spring.

As far as the holes in the base of the air cleaner go, that was covered in Dealer Technical Bulletin 69-T-21, dated 9-30-69 (interestingly, indexed with the 1970 bulletins, not with the 1969's). Page 2 shows the locations for the 5--1/4" holes to be drilled. Whoever did my car got tired early-- only 1 hole was drilled in the base.

Cheers,
Eric
Old November 21st, 2008, 06:43 AM
'69 H/O

Jamesbo, I didn't get the real Monroney. Unfortunately long gone. The one on the window is a repro from Monroneys-R-Us.

M'Lisa, I can't get the Thumbnail link to open so I can see your car. How bad was the side swipe? Bummer..

Eric, sounds like your car is set up exactly like mine. Does your rear end diff sing like a choir? Mine does but I've never had such a high (3.91) ratio gearing in a car before. Wondered if the singing is normal or if the proper shims weren't used when the diff was rebuilt or if someone stuck Richmond gears in there. I seem to remember reading somewhere that Richmond gears really sing.

Terry
Old November 21st, 2008, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Cameo White
Hi All,
My 69 H/O is Number 468. She went to Demmer on 5-7-69.

I bought her last spring with about about 61K miles on her. I don't have the full owner history, but I was told that she reportedly was out of Ohio, then went to Canada, then Massachusetts, where I bought her. I live in Chicago, but she has only made it Pennsylvania so far, where her restoration is under way.

She is a non-AC car and reportedly spent a good number of years at various dragstrips.

3.91 rear
AM-FM
Rally Pac

I don't remember about tilt and tint right now. She will have the sport wheel, but didn't come that way. I hope to be driving her by next spring.

As far as the holes in the base of the air cleaner go, that was covered in Dealer Technical Bulletin 69-T-21, dated 9-30-69 (interestingly, indexed with the 1970 bulletins, not with the 1969's). Page 2 shows the locations for the 5--1/4" holes to be drilled. Whoever did my car got tired early-- only 1 hole was drilled in the base.

Cheers,
Eric
Wow, another one around Chicago
Old November 21st, 2008, 06:52 AM

Eric, sounds like your car is set up exactly like mine. Does your rear end diff sing like a choir? Mine does but I've never had such a high (3.91) ratio gearing in a car before. Wondered if the singing is normal or if the proper shims weren't used when the diff was rebuilt or if someone stuck Richmond gears in there. I seem to remember reading somewhere that Richmond gears really sing.

Terry
Take it out in a parking lots a drive some real tight circles, it helps loosen things up.
Old November 22nd, 2008, 05:55 PM

Question 3:91

I'd love to say I know the answer to the singing 3:91 question, but I don't. My car was not in driving condition when I bought it. I'll let you know what I find out in the spring!
Old November 22nd, 2008, 06:41 PM

Red face

[quote=93Code86GN;50906

M'Lisa, I can't get the Thumbnail link to open so I can see your car. How bad was the side swipe? Bummer..

Terry[/quote]

It wiped out the Rt fender, and Quarter panel. He was driving a small 4X4 pickup and hit me wheel to wheel. He even went up on top of the fender. The insurance company wanted to total it, but I took in a lot of documentation and they didn't total it. Of course they only paid for the right side to get fixed, and the left had a few dents. No Body shop in Reno would repair it, so I went to school to learn how to do body work and paint.

The quarter panel was completely flat. I tried everything, but couldn't get that final lip in and ended up replacing it.

I finished the body and paint in 1996, but still need to get a new engine in it and do the interior. Someday.
Old November 23rd, 2008, 09:43 AM
Old(s) Fart

As far as the holes in the base of the air cleaner go, that was covered in Dealer Technical Bulletin 69-T-21, dated 9-30-69 (interestingly, indexed with the 1970 bulletins, not with the 1969's).
Actually, Sept 1969 would have been the start of the 1970 model year, hence the indexing with the 1970 bulletins.

An interesting bit of trivia is that the flapper door and shroud used on the 69 H/O are actually Ford Cobra Jet parts and carry FoMoCo part numbers.
Old November 23rd, 2008, 02:57 PM
als.olds

83 Hurst

Hi all,im Al from virginia,i have a 83 Hurst that ive owned since 1993,im the second owner..i also just took a 79 hurst on trade that just needs paint,not sure if ill keep it or not..
Old November 23rd, 2008, 06:09 PM
'69 H/O

Hi Al, Welcome aboard.
Old November 23rd, 2008, 06:36 PM

Frequent lurker here (another Al). I've also got a '69. I bought an '83 new (sold in '88 for a house down payment) and also owned a '68 for a number of years.

My 69 was originally sold at Arrow Olds in Greenfield, WI. I'm the 4th owner, but I've owned it since 1979. Mine is #861 through Demmer and never had an original owners plaque (I've got the list and talked to the original owner about it years ago). I had one made with my name on it. I did a frame off ending in '85. It's still in nice shape, but someday I'll go through it all again. I (and the car) am currently outside of Houston, but we've also been in Omaha and Chicago after leaving Milwaukee in '95.

Mine is equipped with the following options:
W46 - H/O pkg
M40 - Automatic transmission
N40 - Power Steering
JL2 - Power Disc Brakes
N34 - Custom-Sport Steering Wheel
N33 - Tilt Steering
A91 - Power Trunk Lid
K30 - Cruise Control
Y60 - Light Package
U29 - Courtesy & Map Lamps
B93 - Door Edge Guards
U58 - AM/FM Stereo
U57 - 8 Track
A01 - Tinted Windshield and Windows
Y72 - Heavy Duty Cooling
W39 - Deluxe Seat Belts
B32 - Front Floor Mats
B33 - Read Floor Mats
U21 - Rally Pac
U15 - Safety Sentinel
A31 - Power Windows
A93 - Power Door Locks
C57 - Forced-Air Body Ventilation
A46 - Power Seat L.H.
M55 - Aux Transmission Cooler
U89 - Trailer Electrical Wiring Harness
VE1 - Rear-Guard Bumper Insert
G80 - Anti-Spin Rear Axle
G88 - Axle 3.91
C50 - Rear Window Defogger

Al Mantei

Last edited by 69ho aurora; November 23rd, 2008 at 08:00 PM.
Old November 23rd, 2008, 07:41 PM

Smile

Hey Joe,
Do you know what the FoMoCo PN is for the vacuum actuator for the flapper door? I thought I saw it somewhere a while back, but can't find it now.
Thanks.
Old November 23rd, 2008, 07:41 PM
als.olds

Thumbs up another Al..

good to hear from you,good luck with your Hurst
Old November 24th, 2008, 05:28 AM

Hey Joe,
Do you know what the FoMoCo PN is for the vacuum actuator for the flapper door? I thought I saw it somewhere a while back, but can't find it now.
Thanks.
Eric,

Bob Anderson in the Tamp/St. Pete area [Florida] re fabricates these top cans with flapper doors and vacum.

But they ain't cheap.

Bob Anderson 813-932-4611 [no e-mail]
Old November 24th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Old Time Old's Fan

Hi Gang,

My first love was Oldsmobile. When I was overseas (Japan) in the mid to late 60's, I saw a 62 Starfire owned by a military NCO (soon to be my good friend) tear up the local inactive taxi way dragstrip that the base commander so generously allowed us gear-heads to use on the weekends.

When I rotated back to the states in December 1969, I spent the winter putting a car together. In the spring of 69 I marched in to the local Olds dealer and ordered a fully loaded 442 W-30 hardtop coupe. I opted for the slam bam turbo 400 transmission with the 3:91 rear which launched the car with axle twisting torque and provided neck snapping crisps shifts. At 500 miles I returned to the dealer for a 500 mile check up. That's when I saw it!

Sitting in the show room was the white and gold Hurst. I immediately sought out my salesman and commenced to chew him out for not telling me about this 'supercar'. I told him to write it up trading back the 442. When he told me (a) the reason I wasn't told about the car when I ordered mine was they didn't know they were getting an H/O, and (b) it was already sold. When I returned to my senses and realized what a wonderful car I already had, that is when I saw 'her' and lost my senses again. This her was my eventual wife whom I married in the Fall of 69. Sad to say, I gave up my 442 for my wife. We had to live sensible and since she owned an economy car (new Ford Maverick), I opted to sell my 442 due to the two payments. But I never forgot the H/O nor the 442.

Fast forward to 1974. I came across 'my' 442 again. The owner had neglected the car for the five years he owned it, but it was still all there with 60,000 miles on the clock. I could buy it back for the sum of $800. I asked if I could take the car back to the selling dealer for an engine compression check and general validation check. He said no problem. The car checked out okay, but I still had to clear the barrier with the wife. After she disagreed with my decision, and I didn't push the issue, the car was sold to someone else. So I lost it a second time. I opted for a 69 Pontiac Tempest with the Sprint 6 and 15,000 miles. The car needed some engine intake work and was soon running fine getting great gas mileage for my sales route.

In 1975 I was on my sales route when I passed a car lot full of muscle cars. As I drove by I thought I saw the telltale hood of a 69 Hurst. The heartbeat of the bygone year of 1969 when I first saw a 69 Hurst returned. I swung the Tempest around and pulled in on the lot. After looking the car over, I could see it had been poorly repainted and the unique mirrors were swapped out for black K-Mart replacements. The engine had an Edlebrock 455 Torrker manifold on it with a big Holley carb.

By now my heart had stopped racing as the salesman approached with his line I wasn't even listening to. I asked if the car had any 'paperwork' with it. After looking in the file, he produced only a protect-o-plate that had Hurst Performance Inc. in Warminster, PA. stamped on it as the original owner. I though, 'well you can't beat that'. I inquired as to where they got the car. I was told they got it from a couple that traded it on another car. The couple bought the car from Hurst and after modifying the engine, they commenced to drag race the car. I deer against the left fender put the Hurst out of commision and up for trade as was. The fender had to be replaced along with the lights and grill. The left mirror was broken, hence the K-Mart mirrors. I later found out the paint shop had pulled the mirrors instead of replacing the mirror glass. They shelved them for a while and then tossed them in the dumpster. (Idiots) Any how, I told the sales guy I would be interested in the car if only it had it's original intake, carb and air cleaner. He took me back to the garage and showed me something that was in the trunk of the Hurst when they acquired it. They had a $40 for sale on the whole thing for their parts flea market. It was the original complete set up that was on it when Hurst sold the car. Anyhow, I was allotted twice what I paid for the Pontiac against the Hurst. I told my wife I could not refuse it and that I would work extra jobs to get the money to pay the $1200 difference. I kept that car for 27 more years before I sold it. I kept the wife for 14. I told her I gave up a 442 W30 to marry her and I would be damned if I was giving up my Hurst to divorce her. I WON! I got the car redone during the early 90's and back to its glory...mirrors and all.

What I really wanted to say after all of this rambling is a comment regarding the finished engine bay picture in this thread. Not so much the engine bay, but the air cleaner lid. You see, my Hurst was researched to be either #9 or #13 (with the probability going to #13) and it had its original air cleaner. It was said to have been one of the H/O's in the famous Tavern On The Green photo shoot.....but even though Hurst in Warminster knew it was one of their cars, they no longer had any documentation on the car. They were the one's who told me about the photo shoot cars. Anyhow, the top lid on the air cleaner was RED matching the bottom air cleaner filter pan. I was called down on the carpet for many years (by the "Olds Experts") regarding the color of the lid. Some say it should have been black or satin finish. Since the intake, carb, and air cleaner was with the car (and retaining it's factory decals) when it was purchased from Hurst, no one painted the lid. It is as it was. I don't know how many red lids got through before the colors were made black or satin silver, but I never found another with a red lid.

If you check out the following link, and pause it at the right time you will see a red lid on this car. But come to find out, it is the car I owned for soooo many years on display by it's new owner since 2000.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-0No8zsWGQ&NR=1

I just had to clear this up. By the way, for those who don't like the smashed look of the foam on top of the carb, glue it to the underside of the hood where it is less obvious. It then becomes as it was with the foam seal. Just in another place.

Great Cars!!!
Old November 24th, 2008, 06:01 PM

I've never gotten a clear answer on the adapters either and it wouldn't surprise me that there were a few changes along the way, especially from the very early cars.

The adapter for my car was already missing in '79 when I got my car, but I found an NOS unit in the box for $200 in about 81 or so. I thought I paid too much ! In any case, my NOS unit was black (and so was the one I saw in a box in the back room at Demmer in August of 1982), so that's the color I have mine.

Some of the magazine articles mentioned the headrest stripes being fabric (or something like that, not painted in any case)... Were your's painted on like most of the cars?
Old November 25th, 2008, 04:35 AM

Head Rest Stripe

Mine were painted [and badly faded] But when I restored the car I took the Firefrost gold paint formula to the paint store and had them mix the formula in a vinyl dye.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN0133.jpg (77.7 KB, 22 views)
Old November 25th, 2008, 04:47 AM
Past Administrator

mt,
Welcome to out site. What a coincidence. When I married (six years after you) I gave up my car in favor for her and the one she owned, a '73 Maverick! Kind of cool Anyhow, interesting story as I am sure all of us can relate to that in some way.

Quick Reply: Here it is, our new H/O category