'69 H/O Air Cleaner

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2009, 10:57 AM

'69 H/O Air Cleaner

What is the rare part of the '69 H/O air cleaner? I believe it is the top part with the flapper, correct? Are the bottoms pieces the same for all 4-barrel '68-'72 air claners and the top makes it unique to the H/O?

Thanks,

Mike
Old May 21st, 2009, 11:03 AM

The top can is the rare biggie with the flapper door. They are being repoed for mega bucks. The bottom is the same with a slight variation of five holes drilled to allow water to escape.

Here's the low down.

http://members.***.net/witrob/scoop/scoop.html

The top can sits down into the bottom of the air cleaner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Picture 131.jpg (107.1 KB, 175 views)
Old May 21st, 2009, 11:34 AM

Thanks for the reply. Is the bottom piece easy to come by? I am looking through a few catalogs and I don't see where you can purchase the bottom piece.

Thanks,

Mike
Old May 21st, 2009, 11:37 AM

I don't recall seeing them in catalogs but I would call them rare. What are you trying to do. I may be able to help you.
Old May 21st, 2009, 11:51 AM

Well I have the top flapper piece, but my bottom piece is pretty beat up. I was looking to buy one, but like I said the catalogs don't seem to list them.

I guess I have another questions about the flapper motor/actuator. Is that also a rare piece?

Thanks
Old May 21st, 2009, 12:09 PM

I believe I've got a handful of bottoms laying around pm me and I get ya one.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 08:08 PM

..Isnt the FLAPPER PART a FORD Item......??
Old May 24th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 666 the legend
..Isnt the FLAPPER PART a FORD Item......??
DEARBORN! They are Dearborn parts. Just like the HD three speed used in the 442s in some years...

Actually, the flapper door, stamped sheet metal that holds the flapper, and vacuum actuator are all Cobra Jet parts. My actuator even has a Ford logo on it.
Old May 25th, 2009, 09:09 PM

Here's a picture I took while visiting Karl Sup a few years ago. He had come by a Cobra Jet air cleaner top.. As you can see the flapper portion is the same as the 69's. If you look at the 69 H/O's, the entire flapper area is sort of oval cut out and welded/attached to the circular upper portion.. as if Hurst/Demmer, somebody in making the 69 H/O's ordered a slew of Cobra Jet uppers and cut out the area to fabricate for the H/O's. Next to it is the 69 H/O top...

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
DEARBORN! They are Dearborn parts. Just like the HD three speed used in the 442s in some years...

Actually, the flapper door, stamped sheet metal that holds the flapper, and vacuum actuator are all Cobra Jet parts. My actuator even has a Ford logo on it.
Attached Images
P4250105.jpg (75.4 KB, 179 views)
AirClnr_02.jpg (64.2 KB, 160 views)
Old May 25th, 2009, 09:13 PM

Another item you may be aware of, the 1969 AMC Hurst Scrambler used the same parts. Attached below is a picture of the Scrambler and they incorporated the portion directly into the hood.
Attached Images
P1010028.jpg (65.2 KB, 152 views)
Old May 25th, 2009, 09:27 PM

Ok... one more item... I guess I should have fully thought through all of this and put it into one post ..

There is a place called Perogie Enterprises... www.perogie.com that deals in Ford performance parts. I've never dealt with them but if you scroll down to Performance and Specialty and click on the 428 CJ & SCJ you can scroll thru that and they offer the Ford Shaker Vacuum Diaphram New Repro & also a rebuilding service, I would imagine this could be the same peice as our vaccum piece.
Old May 26th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 1969Hurst
... as if Hurst/Demmer, somebody in making the 69 H/O's ordered a slew of Cobra Jet uppers and cut out the area to fabricate for the H/O's. Next to it is the 69 H/O top...
Well, from your two pictures, I'm thinking the oval stamping is unique to the H/O. Note that the CJ upper has two beads that run all the way to the upturned leading edge, whereas the H/O part is completely flat there.
Old May 26th, 2009, 07:29 PM

Joe;

Yep, good eye... I've looked at that picture many times and didn't pay attention to the two indented beads...

Well, from your two pictures, I'm thinking the oval stamping is unique to the H/O. Note that the CJ upper has two beads that run all the way to the upturned leading edge, whereas the H/O part is completely flat there.
Old November 26th, 2017, 08:42 PM

69 H/O Vacuum Actuator?

Hey guys,

Resurrecting a very old thread. I recently acquired this vacuum actuator and wanted to confirm it is correct for a '69 Hurst Olds air cleaner assembly.

Thanks,
Mike

Old November 27th, 2017, 08:03 AM

70 -74 AMX used a top with the same flapper assy, i remember thinking how close i thought it was to the H/O..they are less expensive than H/O stuff too..not cheap, but less..theres an option

THE MACHINE REBEL for 70 uses the same flapper, but it attaches to the hood like a scrambler...ive had a few..the bring about 400 on ebay, its just the "bubble" and door with the vac motor

the vac motors have been repopped for some time for the AMXs...they all need them..so not hard to find..and work an all of the cars that use this type of flapper

the secret for AMC guys is, the 71-74 javelins with A/C use the same motor to operate a door inside the car to direct the air...you just "adjust" the plunger rod, its the same length etc..just bent a little diff..but is identical to the flapper door motor in appearance etc, and most come out looking NOS they are way under the dash...
Old January 2nd, 2018, 06:30 AM

Actually, the base IS NOT THE SAME in as it has 2 PVC hole provisions for each valve cover where the 442's only had the one on the pass. side.
Also, the originals did not have the drain holes in the base like the 70 - 72's unless someone put them in there afterwards.
Old January 3rd, 2018, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by rr69ho
Actually, the base IS NOT THE SAME in as it has 2 PVC hole provisions for each valve cover where the 442's only had the one on the pass. side.
Also, the originals did not have the drain holes in the base like the 70 - 72's unless someone put them in there afterwards.
You are correct about two holes for breathers, one off each valve cover.. unique to 69 HO. PCV was connected to rubber elbow connected to fitting in the intake maifold, then PVC, then small hose to carb PVC inlet Also there was 1 drain hole on the bottom originally, later a factory bulletin was issued to drill more holes out and where to drill them, because water got down the carb..
Old January 4th, 2018, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by FStanley
Also there was 1 drain hole on the bottom originally, later a factory bulletin was issued to drill more holes out and where to drill them, because water got down the carb..

This was the initial start of water injection!!!
Old March 6th, 2018, 10:56 AM

Also the inlet on the air horn is larger than the standard
Old May 7th, 2019, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by firefrost gold
Also the inlet on the air horn is larger than the standard
I've heard that wives' tale for a long time, but have never seen the "larger" version on any H/O.
I haven't been around in quite a while, so I'm playing catch up. But here's my 69 H/O air cleaner I measured for the snorkel a few years ago. It was the same measurement for a 69 442 air cleaner I had. I also have a 70 W-30 air cleaner base somewhere that measured the same. Except the holes in the bottom are a tad larger and more numerous.

Old June 7th, 2019, 04:10 AM

That is correct the deltas had the smaller tubes but still painted the same .
Old October 8th, 2019, 11:50 AM
Olds Fanatic

Does anyone know the correct red to re-finish the base assembly??

Thanks.
Old October 8th, 2019, 03:16 PM

There is a Fod red that is supposed to be very close.
Old October 8th, 2019, 04:05 PM

Supercars Unlimited used to have a nice color. However, I just checked their website said it's discontinued. Fusick is the other one. I've heard good about both. Some claim the Fusick is too orange-y, but I'm ok with it.

Fusick is pretty much your best bet. Unless you can get someone with an original paint air cleaner take it to get scanned and get some custom mixed. I have no idea what the formulation is. Would be nice to get the right codes.

I did mine with the Fusick stuff and I think it matched the original fairly well. Issues I see with everything is that batches of the original paint varied slightly from batch to batch, the age of original paint, plus the variance in the new paint batches.

If you have a 69 H/O, unless you're going for 1000 points, if you use the Fusick paint, you'll be fine. As long as there is some contrast of orange to the red engine, everything will be great.

Here's some pics of mine using the Fusick's blend. Mine never had the bulletin performed on it so it still just has a single drain hole.

Old October 8th, 2019, 07:51 PM

I have the code for this paint but not sure if the 68 and 69 red are the same.
Old October 9th, 2019, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by ben442
I have the code for this paint but not sure if the 68 and 69 red are the same.
AFAIK, the 68 and 69 red air cleaners are the same color. So what code is it?
Old October 9th, 2019, 05:07 AM

Here is the custom mix I had made to match. My apologies, I should have said I have a color mix rather than code.

Old October 9th, 2019, 11:32 AM

Just as good. Thanks. That could help out some folks needing it.
Old October 9th, 2019, 02:41 PM

I have an original '68 442 red air cleaner housing. Was on a car for only two weeks. On a shelf for several years after that. Then I bought it and it was used at shows and then wrapped in a protective cover in the trunk when not in use...so if I get it scanned, what do I do with that info? Post it here?
Old October 9th, 2019, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Yellowstatue
I have an original '68 442 red air cleaner housing. Was on a car for only two weeks. On a shelf for several years after that. Then I bought it and it was used at shows and then wrapped in a protective cover in the trunk when not in use...so if I get it scanned, what do I do with that info? Post it here?
Why, of course! Can never hurt. Obviously it's up to you along your time lines. Helping out the Olds community has its virtues. Nothing can beat original, but if Fusick's is the only game in town, some of the more industrious souls love to paint things through a gun.

When I had them scan a bumper one time on a 93 Camaro to ensure I got a good match, they printed me out a sheet with the mix formulation on it. If you can get that, just take a picture of it and post it up here! That would be great.
Old October 9th, 2019, 05:32 PM

OK...I'll hop right to it!
Old November 12th, 2019, 02:23 AM

Following this old thread,are the H/O and Cobra Jet vacuum motors identical, or is there some difference?
Old November 12th, 2019, 05:44 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by briane
Following this old thread,are the H/O and Cobra Jet vacuum motors identical, or is there some difference?
From post #8 (and a decade ago):

My actuator even has a Ford logo on it.
Old November 12th, 2019, 09:20 AM

I've got one with a ford logo with a date stamped on it too. Dated 2/69, IIRC. I'd have to look at that again. My car was built in 3/69 and converted 4/1, so it works for me.
Old November 12th, 2019, 04:20 PM

Thanks for the responses. What I was hoping to confirm, did Demer use the Ford part as received or was it modified in some manner. I read someplace about an alteration but I don't know if that is correct.
Old November 12th, 2019, 05:27 PM

AFAIK, the correct vacuum motor is a straight up ford piece, unmodified. It is not from a shaker hood scoop. Easy to tell, those shaker styles have a LONG vacuum hose metal tube on them. But basically the same pod. There also was another type after April of 69 for the Mustang that has 4 bends in the rod. The H/O and earlier mustangs used the one with the 3 bends and short vacuum hose tube.

The Ford p/n is C9ZZ-9D612-A.

Be careful, the shaker one with the LONG tube is the same part number except it's a B. It'll work, you would just have to cut the tube down.

The C9ZZ-9D612-A looks like this:

Old November 12th, 2019, 06:11 PM

Thanks, very helpful. I just bought a '69 from a local friend. He's the third owner, had it 25 years. Now I have a lot of details to learn!
Old November 13th, 2019, 04:18 AM

Sorry Im not up on latest acronyms but what does AFAIK mean?
Old November 13th, 2019, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by briane
Thanks, very helpful. I just bought a '69 from a local friend. He's the third owner, had it 25 years. Now I have a lot of details to learn!
As you can tell from these discussions, there are still anomalies and oddities that are yet to be fully explained about these cars, or any other model as well. One thing I did learn from Kurt Karch recently is that the correct battery is an R71 and the battery tray is bigger than any other tray installed in a 442 to accommodate that big bastage of a battery. About a foot long. R59s work, but R71 is the correct one. According to Kurt, there was some recently found documentation for this. Probably the biggest issue is that if your battery tray corroded and gets replaced, dime to donuts it probably was replaced with the smaller one.

Perhaps the biggest thing that every 69 H/O owner finds out at minimum is that no 2 cars were converted exactly alike. And VIN number and Demmer assigned number means nothing to each other. Demmer Car #1 has a higher VIN than Demmer Cars #5, #37, and #38. Go figure.

You may have a Demmer assigned sequence number for your car. 553 cars have been verified by some sort of Demmer paperwork.

Is your car on the list?

http://hurstolds.oldsgmail.com/69hovin.htm

If you're lucky enough to find original cars to look at, some have gold overspray in places that probably shouldn't like on the chrome pieces, etc. The paint scheme is the one that's usually varies the most between the cars since seemingly a wide artistic license was given when painting the stripes (Think production over quality). Hood scoop alignment is another as some are a hair off center than others.

You'll be learning a lot about your car. If you got a service manual, body manual, and a PIM, aka, Assembly Manual, you are already miles ahead. If not, at least get those, and if you need specifics on your own car, contact Kurt Karch from the H/OCA. He lives and breathes 69 H/Os and may even have a copy of Demmer conversion paperwork for your car if you don't already have it. He doesn't have all of the cars, and the amount of paperwork varies from what he does have, but he can help you out big time.

Old November 13th, 2019, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by scrappie
Sorry Im not up on latest acronyms but what does AFAIK mean?
As far as I know.

Quick Reply: '69 H/O Air Cleaner