General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

1970 4-core Harrison radiator questions

Search this Thread

Old September 20th, 2015, 07:36 PM

1970 4-core Harrison radiator questions

Going through my part stash. I have four Harrison radiators. From what I can remember the correct radiator code for HD cooling on a 70 442 (W/AC) is CI on the passenger side tank. I have two radiators that say CI. In the photo below the left and center radiators have CI embossed on the tank. The radiator to the right has the same dimensions but it has an OJ on the tank. Also note how the top rail on the middle radiator is thinner than the other Radiators. You would think if the code is the same the top rail would be as well. Also note how the overflow nipple on the right radiator points in a different direction.

Does anyone know for sure what radiator is for what application?
Could the lefthand radiator and middle radiator be the same and the top plate just different because of manufacturing variances?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
radiators oj ic.jpg (839.2 KB, 524 views)

Last edited by stevengerard; September 21st, 2015 at 04:49 AM.
Old September 20th, 2015, 09:53 PM

What is the code on the other tank? Both of my W-31's have the CI and IF tanks.
Old September 21st, 2015, 04:51 AM

I'll triple check but I believe none of theses driver's side tanks had codes which was odd as another of mine does have the IF tank
Old September 21st, 2015, 11:33 AM
Lance

Steven, glad to see you back on CO, it has been a long time since I have seen you post here.

I don't know what the application is for your OJ coded radiator side tank, but I can tell you that the top rail is a original 4 row top rail. This top rail should have a "V" notch in the center.
Old September 21st, 2015, 12:52 PM

Thanks for the welcome back, life (kids, work, family, etc.) gets in the way doesn't it :~) Are you saying none of these radiators are four core or they all are? Or the OJ isn't? The one in the middle with the narrow top rail is also a CI.

in the picture left to right CI - CI - OJ
Old September 21st, 2015, 01:11 PM
Lance

Originally Posted by stevengerard
Thanks for the welcome back, life (kids, work, family, etc.) gets in the way doesn't it :~) Are you saying none of these radiators are four core or they all are? Or the OJ isn't? The one in the middle with the narrow top rail is also a CI.

in the picture left to right CI - CI - OJ
Your two "CI" side tanks match my original "CI" side tank, but the top rails appear to have been changed (maybe during a re-core process).

I am not sure of the application of the "OJ" coded side tank, but the top rail appears to be assembly line correct for a 4 row radiator.

IMG_0832.jpg
Old September 21st, 2015, 01:25 PM

ah, thanks, ok. I'll probably need these to be re-cored anyway. But will have them pressure tested to make sure. I'm pretty sure the CI on the left is the one that came out of my convertible years ago - these have all in in storage for years. Glad I thought of keeping them.
Old September 21st, 2015, 05:12 PM

Steven
As Rocket Vapor and others have eductaed me, there is a date code on the tank. Look at Rocket Vapors picture. The "B" between the C and I is the date code. A = Jan, B = Feb.... I dont think "I" was used. This may help to get correct radiator back in your car.

Don W
Old September 21st, 2015, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Shifty Sidney
Steven
As Rocket Vapor and others have eductaed me, there is a date code on the tank. Look at Rocket Vapors picture. The "B" between the C and I is the date code. A = Jan, B = Feb.... I dont think "I" was used. This may help to get correct radiator back in your car.

Don W
Thanks Don, I'm not so worried about date code, would be nice to get that correct but as mentioned the one on the left came out of my car so most likely is correct anyway. I'll look closer at them this weekend. Either way I have 3 extra radiators that are 1970 Harrison's with the parallel to the ground filler neck instead of the angled 71 and newer tanks.
Old January 28th, 2018, 12:19 PM

ha, just found this old thread that I couldn't find yesterday. So it clarifies that the two radiators I have left are correct for my car but the one on the left in this image has had the top rail replaced while the one in the middle is the correct top rail. I'll bring both to the radiator shop- who knows maybe one of them are still good.

Last edited by stevengerard; January 28th, 2018 at 12:26 PM.
Old January 28th, 2018, 01:19 PM

In the photo the original poster posted, the rad in the center is using a newer different sourced top piece. The "CI" passenger side tanks are correct for the "EC" rad tag code, which is correct for 1970 "V01" applications.
The "OJ" embossed passenger tank is not correct for Olds at least up to 1972.
The drivers side tanks on all 4 cores are either "IF" or blank.
Also in 1971 some 4 core tanks were slanted such as on the "ZK" rad code tag, and parallel on "EB" rad code tags.
Hope this helps.
Old January 29th, 2018, 10:55 AM
Lance

Top and bottom channels.
http://www.heartbeatcitycamaro.com/s...%22-Core-Pair/

Assembled core with channels.
http://www.heartbeatcitycamaro.com/s...ion-Radiators/
Old January 29th, 2018, 02:11 PM

thanks for the links, man it is astounding on how expensive it is to try to keep a car original. In reality the tank on the left in my first post may not have the accurate look of the top channel its the correct width. So maybe good enough. I'll see if the left and middle radiators are usable and then decide on what to do. In the end I may just keep the replacement radiator in there now. Looks like this could end up being expensive trying to use an original. The parts place makes a perfect reproduction - at least it looks that way but its expensive, though in the end it could end up being the cheaper way to go. Its been decades since I have had radiators re-cored.