General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

mini starter

Search this Thread

Old March 13th, 2011, 05:47 PM

mini starter

hey everyone I just got a new set of hooker headers for my 71 olds cutlass supreme. I've got a set of headers on it now but i want to replace them with the hookers. I've got a OEM style starter now. My headers now are basically touching the starter now. My question is do i need to get a new shorty starter with these new headers, aka will i have more room now or do i need to get a smaller high torque starter? If it remains this close I'm sure I will be smokin this starter pretty quick and this would be the time to replace it. For this application the cheapest i can really find is a 170 dollar starter from summit. Anyone know if a gm style starter will fit this 350 rocket because 170 seems a bit nuts.......... but i'll do what i have to do i guess. Any help would be awesome. Thanks

Scott
Old March 13th, 2011, 08:39 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

You could use a starter from an 80's 307. They are a little bit smaller.
Best thing would be to re-route the header pipe though.
Old March 13th, 2011, 09:59 PM

Many mini starters have "wings" with through bolts that still interfere with headers. I recommend the RobbMc even though it costs more.
www.robbmcperformance.com
Old March 14th, 2011, 07:11 AM
Old(s) Fart

Nearly every header manufacturer routes tubes differently for the same application, so there's no guarantee that if one brand clears, another will also. Hooker also makes Olds headers in several different tube sizes, so some are tighter than others. Personally, I've always used a factory high torque starter on my header cars and while it's been tight, they always fit.

As for mini starters, there are at least two different types, not to mention that some can be clocked and some can't. I've bought one of each, used, for a lot less than $170 each. Note that Pontiac and Olds starters are the same, so you can look for those as well. The 307 starter is low-torque, so it will be marginal on a larger engine.
Old March 15th, 2011, 04:08 PM

I used a Robbmc in my application and I've been happy with it. A little more $ than some.
Old March 15th, 2011, 05:03 PM

I tried the robbmc on on my pontiac It didnt like me. It would start good with a charger on it or one or two times after charger was pulled then nothing. I went back to the stock
starter and It has started every time since I had a new batterie and wires were new. I could have put the ford parts on that they recommend but i could not bring myself to do it
Old March 22nd, 2011, 09:11 AM

I have problems with my headers and starter also. I put a heat sheild on the starter. did not help. Put header tape on the headers around the starter area. did not help. I put 00 guage battery cables on it. did not help. If I turned off the motor on a hot summer day it would not start back up. I always had to wait about 15-20 minutes for it to cool down. I had a lifetime warranty on the starters so I would just replace the starter every summer. I was in college and could not afford an expensive starter so I did what i could. Now going with a high torque starter but not sure which one yet. I'd like to find one that wont break me.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 12:19 PM
Navy P-3 FE (Ret.)

I've had no problems with my Powermaster 9610. Can be removed and install with my headers, Doug Thorley. Did wrap it in a heat shield. Course my car is different.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PWM-9610/