General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Air Cleaner Base OAI vs Non-OAI

Search this Thread

Old August 28th, 2018, 12:53 PM
delete

Air Cleaner Base OAI vs Non-OAI

Is the air cleaner base the same on non OAI cars and OAI cars (1970)?

Thorntons & Fusick sells just the top where as The Parts Place sells top & bottom together. Fusick also lists the bottom as a separate item.

https://www.thepartsplaceinc.com/pro...nt-holes/53829

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-72-OLD...ry!11762!US!-1

Old August 28th, 2018, 01:00 PM

Pretty sure different in a couple ways:
OAI
wider snorkel
holes drilled for water drainage
additional hole punched for crank case vent?

I also think the non OAI bases will function but just look different ?
Old August 28th, 2018, 01:07 PM

x2 different, but will work
Old August 28th, 2018, 02:46 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by droptopron

Thorntons & Fusick sells just the top where as The Parts Place sells top & bottom together. Fusick also lists the bottom as a separate item.

You do realize that dewell92 is the ebay page to Thorntons? The link page you posted shows the complete setup
Old August 28th, 2018, 05:04 PM

I bought the parts place full kit for both my cars (BBO 71 442 & SBO 70 Cutlass) - very happy x2. Pics of each:

5mRmLhY.jpg
ob7ZdCZ.jpg

The base for the 442 has been modified to fit with the Torker intake - a few pics:

9t64Ifk.jpg
GUYlpFp.jpg

Thankfully all those mods fit perfectly around my go EFI 8 throttle body swap:
oqlldQY.jpg
ZurBA0Y.jpg
Old August 28th, 2018, 05:09 PM

Bottom line is you can buy the Parts place full setup and you should be good to go. Also one added benefit - pull the rubber piece out of the parts place breather top and gain an additional 1/4" drop over an NOS top. My Dad had an original so I tried both. If you're running a stock setup (stock intake) this won't matter but if you're using a performer or Torker this 1/4" really helps. BTW - I hand painted the white letters on both and added the tube with the white line on it. Just love that look. Last unusual note - if you go with the modified drop base you can't run the small dish top that goes on top of the air cleaner. Long explanation there but not relevant if you're going with the stock setup.

-Joe

Last edited by 71 OLDS; August 28th, 2018 at 05:13 PM.
Old August 28th, 2018, 05:40 PM
delete

Originally Posted by Allan R
You do realize that dewell92 is the ebay page to Thorntons? The link page you posted shows the complete setup
I know that's Thorntons. They don't include the base, just the top.
Old August 28th, 2018, 05:40 PM
delete

Originally Posted by 71 OLDS
Bottom line is you can buy the Parts place full setup and you should be good to go. Also one added benefit - pull the rubber piece out of the parts place breather top and gain an additional 1/4" drop over an NOS top. My Dad had an original so I tried both. If you're running a stock setup (stock intake) this won't matter but if you're using a performer or Torker this 1/4" really helps. BTW - I hand painted the white letters on both and added the tube with the white line on it. Just love that look. Last unusual note - if you go with the modified drop base you can't run the small dish top that goes on top of the air cleaner. Long explanation there but not relevant if you're going with the stock setup.

-Joe
Thanks for all that. I have stock intake & air cleaner. My base isn't beat up so its just a question of how correct I want it. Hmmmm
Old August 28th, 2018, 05:47 PM

Thanks for all that. I have stock intake & air cleaner. My base isn't beat up so its just a question of how correct I want it. Hmmmm

This is my 442 w/ Thornton Upper and Fusick OAI base
Old August 28th, 2018, 07:10 PM

Post a good pic showing the snorkel on your air cleaner...then you'll have your answer.
Old August 29th, 2018, 08:08 AM
delete

-Joe
You did nice work. How does the white lettering hold up over time?
Old August 29th, 2018, 01:23 PM

You did nice work. How does the white lettering hold up over time?
I used the white tire makers sold at the parts stores to touch up raised white letters. Makes it easy since it's got a pointed end on it. Just trace inside the lines. Put one coat on and let it dry overnight, then repeat one more time and you are good. Holds up to the engine heat in the engine compartment and last for years. Haven't touched either one of mine for a few years now and it still looks perfect.

-Joe
Old August 30th, 2018, 11:58 AM
Just an Olds Guy

I bought the parts place full kit for both my cars (BBO 71 442 & SBO 70 Cutlass) - very happy x2. Pics of each:

I have 2 questions for you.
  1. I notice the 455 has cowl lacing but the 350 doesn't. Is that anything to do with a fitment issue on the hood?
  2. I've not seen cowl vents covered with 3 separate screens from the factory, just a solid metal mesh. I know PP sells both. I'd like to know if this is an aftermarket vendor idea or whether it was OEM and from what factory?
Old August 30th, 2018, 12:04 PM

The base for the 442 has been modified to fit with the Torker intake - a few pics:

Thankfully all those mods fit perfectly around my go EFI 8 throttle body swap:

That drop base looks like horrible air restriction. Do you have any dyno information with and without the air cleaner?
Old August 30th, 2018, 12:09 PM

1. I notice the 455 has cowl lacing but the 350 doesn't. Is that anything to do with a fitment issue on the hood?
  2. I've not seen cowl vents covered with 3 separate screens from the factory, just a solid metal mesh. I know PP sells both. I'd like to know if this is an aftermarket vendor idea or whether it was OEM and from what factory?
Chevy
Old August 30th, 2018, 02:13 PM

1. Good catch on the pics - no fitment issue. That pic for the 350 was taken before it was added. It's on there now.
2. The 3 separate screens is just an aftermarket option so you don't have to deal with the factory metal mesh.
Old August 30th, 2018, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
That drop base looks like horrible air restriction. Do you have any dyno information with and without the air cleaner?
Sorry I don't know what air restriction you are referring to. I've driven the car with a stock air cleaner and no breather and as you see it in the pic with the drop base and breather and there is no difference in performance or feel via the butt dyno. The only difference is in the sound when the flapper on the breather opens up at speed. I have heard about guys who can pick up a tenth at the track in the 1/4 mile by removing the breather completely but I'm not worried about that. I think the OAI setup makes the engine compartment look like a 442 should and I love how the white OLDSMOBILE letters are the first thing you see when you open my hood.

-Joe

Last edited by 71 OLDS; August 31st, 2018 at 12:44 AM.
Old August 30th, 2018, 10:50 PM
MOTORHEAD

I saw a 1970 4 bbl sx air cleaner (non OAI). Same wide snorkel , no drain holes , DID have provision for valve cover breather on both sides..

Old September 2nd, 2018, 11:33 AM

Sorry I don't know what air restriction you are referring to. I've driven the car with a stock air cleaner and no breather and as you see it in the pic with the drop base and breather and there is no difference in performance or feel via the butt dyno. The only difference is in the sound when the flapper on the breather opens up at speed. I have heard about guys who can pick up a tenth at the track in the 1/4 mile by removing the breather completely but I'm not worried about that. I think the OAI setup makes the engine compartment look like a 442 should and I love how the white OLDSMOBILE letters are the first thing you see when you open my hood.

-Joe
Sounds like you've got it taken care of. The restriction I was referring to is that the large drop base swell up to the air horn ring is directly in front of the air filter element. When the top is on, I don't imagine much room between the drop base swell and the top. However, I'm an overly picky engineer, and it seems like the performance of the engine is not limited by that, so, good stuff, carry on.
Old April 27th, 2019, 04:53 AM

Where are the Holes drilled in the base for water drains?
Old April 27th, 2019, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by crank shaft
Where are the Holes drilled in the base for water drains?
Old April 27th, 2019, 05:58 AM

Thank you!
Old August 16th, 2019, 08:07 PM
Alan Reedy

Originally Posted by 11971four4two
I saw a 1970 4 bbl sx air cleaner (non OAI). Same wide snorkel , no drain holes , DID have provision for valve cover breather on both sides..
Yes you did. You saw one of these. It's the exact same air cleaner base as the OAI unit but without the holes for drainage. It's the standard 1970 442/SX W-32 4bbl air cleaner pan.

Last edited by asx455; August 16th, 2019 at 08:09 PM. Reason: text
Old December 27th, 2019, 11:22 AM

want to sell it LOL or where can I get one just like that.
Old December 27th, 2019, 12:36 PM
Alan Reedy

Originally Posted by jopa
want to sell it LOL or where can I get one just like that.
If you're referring to mine posted right above, is not for sale. They are quite difficult to find in nice shape. You might find it easier to get an OAI base.
Old December 27th, 2019, 12:50 PM

I don't want the holes in the bottom the partsplace sells them for $249 I'll keep searching.
Old December 27th, 2019, 01:02 PM
Gary

Originally Posted by jopa
..where can I get one just like that.
If you have more time than money, you can make a nearly-perfect replica by starting with a standard 4-bbl air cleaner base. The snorkel is the same size.

Use a hole saw to cut the opening for the second breather tube. The holes are symmetrical around the Thermac sensor.

Cut a washer from plumbers' standard copper tube with the same thickness as the rolled sheet metal around the factory breather opening. Solder or epoxy in place. The rubber adapter will cover the washer; it won't be obvious.

Drill the five drain holes (optional for you). First hole goes opposite the Thermac sensor. Look at pictures on this thread to see what layout diameter to use (middle of the debossed ring near the outside).

Remove the Keep Your GM Car... decal and buy the correct one for your application from junior supercar on this site.

Viola... an easy craft project to make a low-dollar copy.

Last edited by VC455; December 27th, 2019 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Snorkel size note
Old December 27th, 2019, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by VC455
If you have more time than money, you can make a nearly-perfect replica by starting with a standard 4-bbl air cleaner base. The snorkel is the same size.
Gary - what are you referring to when you say "a standard 4-bbl air cleaner base"? If you mean from a regular Cutlass or a 88 or 98, then those are not the same snorkel size.
Old December 28th, 2019, 08:27 AM
Gary

Originally Posted by 70Post
...from a regular Cutlass or a 88 or 98... are not the same snorkel size.
Well, I just left out a small step.

Yes, Patton, you are correct. I did this so many years ago that I had forgotten that I grafted a correct snorkel from a mangled 442 air cleaner on the the body.