General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

68 vent window restauration

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2017, 04:54 PM

68 vent window restauration

i disassembled my vent window to have the frame bead blasted and install new weatherstripping. Has anyone restored one and were to get proper fitting rubbers .

Is there anyone who has pictures of there restoration of them.

Thanks Bruce
Old July 4th, 2017, 09:27 PM

has anyone done this or can give me some ides were to look

thanks bruce
Old August 24th, 2017, 05:22 PM

can anyone help me with this

thanks Bruce
Old August 24th, 2017, 06:35 PM

Not yet...

I just bought vertical front window channel weather strip for my '68 442 from Year One - $45/pr. They are brand new, molded to GM spec by SofSeal. I haven't done the job yet, but the door window has to be removed, then the screws holding the vent window/vertical channel come out, then it should tilt inboard somewhat as you lift out of the door. I don't know yet whether the window regulator and crank/motor have to come out. The Chassis Manual and/or Body book will have this info - I just have not yet reviewed it.

I will get to mine probably next month. I'll take pictures along way, and share them if you've not tried it by then.

If you do try it before then, Good Luck! I'm sure it's not too hard.
Old August 24th, 2017, 07:07 PM

Old August 24th, 2017, 07:09 PM

Old August 24th, 2017, 07:15 PM

I took apart parts and bead blasted and painted frame. I have to buy the seals and maybe rechrome the pot metal part. There is a piece of metal riveted to window channel i have to see how to re-install it.
Old August 24th, 2017, 07:23 PM

I restored the ones on the fouranado a few years ago I ordered the weatherstrip from Fusicks and it did fit well I don't have any pix of this or remember who made the weatherstrip.

I am not sure what you are going to bead blast on them, I would probably just clean them and reassemble. Now the pot metal is a different story if they are pitted then I used Ogden chrome for pot metal. They did mine and they came out like jewelry but like all plating shops they are only as good as the people working there so hard to say if the same guy who did mine still works there.

Probably more info then you wanted but knowing quality vendors makes for better restorations.
Old August 24th, 2017, 07:54 PM

I did the ones on my 67 which do not have a window crank, but i used Metro rubber and they look and fit well. Sorry i didnt take pics. I recently saw some for a 67 GTO that appeared to have new rubber and i dont know where it was bought, but it was very nice rubber. So you might check on a Pontiac site also if the 68 GTO'S might be the same as Olds, perhaps another source for rubber. Steel Rubber, Soft Seal and Metro are the main ones that i know of. I did not like my quarter window seals i got from Metro so i got Softseal and they seem better, more like originals.
Hope this helps
Steve