General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

When should the body go to the shop?

Search this Thread

Old August 23rd, 2016, 07:54 AM
Photoshop God

When should the body go to the shop?

We were working on the car yesterday, taking the bushings out of all of the control arms and what not. The body sitting up in the air got me to thinking about what I am going to do as far as taking the car to the shop to get the body and paint done. It's nearly all disassembled, other than the dash, top and stuff on the firewall. I'm new to all of this and looking for what works best. What are the pros and cons, what have you done?

I've got the frame powder coated and most of the parts to get it rolling, but I think I will work on other stuff before it gets cold as the shop has not heat and do that in my garage when it gets to cold to be out there.

What is the best way to do this, do I

Put everything completely back together except the trim and stuff and take it to the shop.

Take the body and the panels to the shop and put it together later.

Take the body and panels to the shop and get the rust repaired and primer put on then take it home, assemble it and take it back for paint.

The shop I am looking at is 90 miles away.
Old August 23rd, 2016, 03:15 PM

ive been a body man my whole life..ive done a lot of frame off stuff...my experience is the body should be on the frame and bolted down and together if theres any cutting or welding on the car...if it all fits then theres no surprises when you put it back together...

ive done a few where people bring me the car on the rolling chassis and the chassis has been restored..and primer and coatings are tuff to keep off the newly done frame..but i do it like this...

i wrap the frame in shrink wrap..one good wrapping of aluminum foil and then another wrap of shrink..it stays nice and ya unwrap it and its done...

taking the body and parts to a shop and then trying to make it all fit later is a real head ache..you want it right? body on frame...when its all in primer and all the gaps are right etc...it can be taken apart and painted...

just my ideas of the right way to do it...i'm sure there are others...but ive had excellent results building the car on the frame instead of apart
Old August 23rd, 2016, 03:41 PM
Photoshop God

Thank you. That's what I needed to know and a good explanation. For me it leaves chances for scratches etc.