General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

vacuum advance

Search this Thread

Old June 1st, 2017, 01:46 PM

vacuum advance

Hey guys, new question. got my 455 done and in (ptl), need to know which vacum goes to vacuum advance, ported? or straight intake vacuum?, thanks in advance.
Old June 1st, 2017, 03:04 PM

Manifold, not ported.
Old June 2nd, 2017, 05:29 AM

Ported, not manifold.

This is something that is up in the air just as much as what oil and filter to run. Check out this thread for more info:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...m-advance.html
Old June 2nd, 2017, 08:02 AM
Old(s) Fart

These cars came from the factory using ported vacuum to operate the vacuum advance. Of course, this means that there is NO vacuum advance at idle or small throttle openings. The factory initial timing spec accounts for this.

There are two problems with this. First, even with the gasoline available whe these cars were new, the lack of vacuum advance at idle could cause overheating under hot, low speed conditions such as idling in traffic. As a result, Olds often used a thermal vacuum switch that would reroute the vacuum advance to straight manifold vacuum if the engine started to overheat. If you choose to retain the use of ported vacuum for your vacuum advance, you really should be sure the TVS is hooked up to preclude overheating.

Of course, the second and more important issue is that today's ethanol-laced gasoline pretty much negates the factory ignition settings from the 1960s. Ethanol effectively makes the inlet mixture more lean that if you were using straight gasoline, and this also causes overheating. The lower octane rating of today's gasolines makes the car more prone to pinging. In both cases, you need to vary from the factory timing settings. If you plan to do this anyway, I strongly recommend you convert to straight manifold vacuum and avoid the TVS issue.
Old June 2nd, 2017, 12:25 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

The compromise I have been using for years is manifold vac with an adjustable travel(not rate) advance canister. This allows you to dial up the initial a bit and have vac adv. at idle but only a limit of 8-10-12* This provides great throttle response hot or cold. If you hear it popping out of the exhaust pipes back the vac advance down and or the base. This formula has yielded great results for me. Of course, I do not run Ethanol in any of my carbureted machinery.
Old June 2nd, 2017, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Do you have a part number for the adjustable travel vacuum advance canister you use?
Old June 3rd, 2017, 12:46 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

I do not. Last one I ordered was from Jegs or Summit and they did offer both.