General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Scratched glass repair

Search this Thread

Old April 10th, 2016, 07:58 PM

Scratched glass repair

We will be reinstalling the factory tinted glass into our '70 flattop wagon soon. The glass is generally in good condition but there is some coat hangar scratches on the aft right window, as well as some da marks on the quarter windows. I am open to the idea of replacement, but due to the availability and tint variations I'd like to have my original pieces repaired if possible. Does anyone have a good referral or experience to share with scratch repair on auto glass?
Old April 10th, 2016, 08:07 PM
Shoveling Snow

I work with stained glass and if it is scratched with a da you sol. I have a scratch in my rear glass on a 67 Toro and there is no way to repair it.
Old April 10th, 2016, 09:21 PM

Heath, on the vert I tried taking some lightly scratched side glasses to two different glass shops in North Dallas. Both would not even touch them due to being tempered. I think you might to have to do it yourself, and even then I don't know if the kit you buy from Eastwood's et al. is designed for tempered glass. My guess is if they don't clean up with steel wool, you might not have many choices.
Old April 11th, 2016, 06:27 AM

The windshield on my 67 had deep white scratches from the wipers. I got the DIY kit from Eastwood. The white is gone and hard to notice but the grooves are still there. It took a long time to polish but I am satisfied with the result.
Old April 11th, 2016, 06:40 AM

I had a lot of DA scratches in the back glass of my Nova and also used the Eastwood kit. Although I was able to remove the scratches, the was some noticeable distortion from the heat created by me being impatient. In the long run, the distortion was much easier to stomach than were the scratches. If I had taken more time, the results would have been great.
Old April 11th, 2016, 10:21 AM

I've used the Eastwood kit, my opinion is it's a waste of time + money. You CAN make it a bit better with the kit, but you can't get the scratches totally out...it's never going to happen! I liken it to the Magic scratch remover for paint. That said...I tried the 1st gen kit about 15 years ago, and they have better discs now.
Old April 11th, 2016, 11:06 AM

I've never used the Eastwood kit ,but there's one on Amazon made by Gordon Glass Co. that I have used many years ago when I was in the used car business,the powder is cerium oxide. It will make a big difference if you have plenty of time and patience. Just don't start,if your wife wants you to go somewhere with her in an hour. Good luck, Larry

Last edited by Rocketowner; April 11th, 2016 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Add
Old April 12th, 2016, 05:36 AM

I have used the Eastwood kit. I will remove light scratches or super hard etched water spotting, but it is a very slow, messy process. It was over an hour per piece of glass with a high speed polisher... you use lots of water to keep it cool, and compound slings everywhere. When I was done with all that effort, I found that I had some fine swirls left behind from the process...

There used to be a product out there from Diamondite called glass resurfacing creme that did a great job when used with a special Lake Country glass cutting pad, but they couldn't get one of the key raw ingredients, so it was a short-lived product. I haven't checked to see if any newer replacement products are available.

Edit: Here's something worth reading, I have no experience with this but it may be promising: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...griots-da.html

Last edited by 83hurstguy; April 12th, 2016 at 05:41 AM.
Old April 12th, 2016, 08:22 PM

google "rare earth" its the only thing that works..but it has limitations..

if your finger nail catches the edge of the scratch..its never coming out..never..have to accept it and do the best you can...if it doesnt actually catch..you have a good chance of polishing it out..