General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Reverse lights are alway on with key in the "on" position

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2014, 04:04 PM

Reverse lights are alway on with key in the "on" position

My 68 442 4 speed as the following issue: with the key in the "on" position the "reverse" lights stay on permanently. How do I fix the situation? Is there a "connection" problem? Any help would be great.
Old May 10th, 2014, 04:11 PM

There is an adjustment on the reverse light switch mounted to the trans. A small metal rod is attached to the shift link and it works the switch.
Old May 10th, 2014, 04:36 PM

Trans bkp lites switch link may have fallen off, or perhaps your shift fork lever is not coming all the way out of R when using other gears.

In order for Reverse Lights to be on I believe the lights have to be on, and the switch controlled by the lever on the trans has to be in the ON position. Not sure on the lights switch part- check your service manual wiring diagram.
Old May 10th, 2014, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Octania

In order for Reverse Lights to be on I believe the lights have to be on, and the switch controlled by the lever on the trans has to be in the ON position. Not sure on the lights switch part- check your service manual wiring diagram.
My 67 is like he mentioned, ignition switch on there will be power to reverse lights. I am not sure if this is correct but it is the way mine works with factory harness.
Old May 10th, 2014, 07:10 PM

Ignition on "OFF" reverse lights are off.

With the ignition on the "OFF" position if I turn the lights on the "Reverse light" don't come on. It's only with the ignition in the "ON" position that the "Reverse lights" stay on all the time.
Trans bkp lites switch link may have fallen off, or perhaps your shift fork lever is not coming all the way out of R when using other gears.

Old May 10th, 2014, 07:29 PM
Just an Olds Guy

In order for Reverse Lights to be on I believe the lights have to be on, and the switch controlled by the lever on the trans has to be in the ON position.
Chris? If that was the case he'd have to turn on his lights every time he put the car in R, and that's not the way it was designed.

I'd suggest the problem is in the neutral start and backup switch position.
Old May 10th, 2014, 07:32 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by W-27
With the ignition on the "OFF" position if I turn the lights on the "Reverse light" don't come on. It's only with the ignition in the "ON" position that the "Reverse lights" stay on all the time.
Sounds like your back up light switch is screwed up -
Switch broken / jammed
Switch fell off and dangling
Switch misadjusted / linkage problem
Short somewhere in wiring (much less likely).

No big deal. Go look at your switch and see if it's being properly moved by the shift mechanism.

- Eric
Old May 11th, 2014, 05:41 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Allan R
I'd suggest the problem is in the neutral start and backup switch position.
in 1968, a factory 4spd has a separate backup light switch mounted right on the trans. As noted, the problem is either in the adjustment of this switch or the link from the reverse lever on the trans to the switch itself. And yes, this circuit is powered by the ignition switch, not the headlight switch.