General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Reuse Original Upper Ball Joints?

Search this Thread

Old August 11th, 2014, 02:31 PM

Reuse Original Upper Ball Joints?

Finished stripping my frame today prior to sending it off to be powder coated. (70 W-30) I am also going powdercoat the upper and lower control arms, and I drilled out the rivets to remove the uppers. Looked at my Chineseum AC Delco replacements and almost threw up. Not only do they not look anything like the OE's but the stud is at least 3/8 shorter than the original. I had already thrown the old ones out, so I went dumpster diving to get them out before the trash is picked up tomorrow.

Has anyone reused the old ones after removing them from the A arm? They are nice and tight, and I can get the rivet looking bolt kit from ILT. The only thing I would need are new boots - I might be able to take those off my aftermarket ones and use with the old retainers I also saved. Thoughts are appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (62.6 KB, 37 views)
Old August 11th, 2014, 02:55 PM

(New) Greasable Moogs. A little expensive, but worth every penny.
Old August 11th, 2014, 02:57 PM

Plenty of life left in them.
New fasteners and new boots, sure
You know they will FIT RIGHT.
I'd take good used over Chinesium offerings.
Old August 11th, 2014, 03:24 PM

If they aren't worn I wouldn't worry about it. The uppers are just alone for the ride anyway.
Old August 11th, 2014, 03:33 PM
Administrator

X2 on the Moog parts, and not that expensive. Use Rockauto and the discount code, should be less expensive than your local parts store.
Old August 11th, 2014, 04:15 PM

Use the originals if they are in good shape. There is nothing which looks like the OEMs. Rivet them back in. The Corvette guys have been doing it for awhile. However, the cost of the rivet tools is cost prohibitive for doing one set of control arms. There are places which do it for Corvettes. I'm sure they would rivet an A body arm.

Also, don't throw anything away during the course of the project. Stick stuff like this in a box and put it on a shelf until your restoration is complete and you are SURE you won't need it.
Old August 11th, 2014, 05:52 PM

I would first ask: how did you separate the control arms?

If you used a fork, then I would not recommend reusing the ball joints as the studs may have been stressed and may break (had that happen back in high school while I was driving down the road).

If you used a separator tool, then maybe as the stud should not have been stressed.
Old August 11th, 2014, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by joesw31
Joe, did your car have the short or tall upper ball joints. Use the originals if they are good.

Joe, I don't know for sure but I would assume these are the tall ones.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (49.7 KB, 16 views)
Old August 11th, 2014, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
I would first ask: how did you separate the control arms?

If you used a fork, then I would not recommend reusing the ball joints as the studs may have been stressed and may break (had that happen back in high school while I was driving down the road).

If you used a separator tool, then maybe as the stud should not have been stressed.

I did use the pickle fork. The upper ones only needed a couple of good raps to come loose, while I beat the hell out of the lowers to get them to separate.
Old August 12th, 2014, 11:10 AM

You can re-use them, but I would not re-rivet them. You can use hi grade allen key button head bolts, they will resemble the rivets. You can but 3m strip caulk or body fiiller in the key holes, so if you need to remove you can just pick out the holes easily. You can get the allen bolts anyplace.
Old August 12th, 2014, 02:05 PM

My 2 cents. I would not reuse them. New Moogs aren't that expensive,and I would rather be safe than sorry later on down the road.
Old August 12th, 2014, 03:16 PM

Depends on the goal of the build, I would use the originals as uppers really don't see a lot of wear and the Moogs don't look like the originals.

Originally Posted by bassinguy
My 2 cents. I would not reuse them. New Moogs aren't that expensive,and I would rather be safe than sorry later on down the road.

Last edited by Boiler_81; August 13th, 2014 at 04:57 AM.
Old August 12th, 2014, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Boiler_81
Depends on the goal of the build, I would use the originals as uppers really dont wee a lot of wear and the Moogs don't look like the originals.
If this car gets driven more than 50 miles a year it would be a lot. I want to compete at professionally judged shows at the national level.

Thanks for all the replies - will be reusing them if I can successfully remove the rest of the rivet from the joint housing.

Last edited by costpenn; August 12th, 2014 at 07:51 PM.