General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Reinstalling back drive linkage - any issues?

Search this Thread

Old April 27th, 2021, 02:58 AM

Reinstalling back drive linkage - any issues?

I'm getting ready to reinstall the back drive linkage from the column to the 4-speed transmission. I can see the bracket assembly on the 3-4 lever is gone ( I have a replacement), but the other connections are in place. Is there anything I need to do special to attach the back drive linkage again? I'm not adjusting the shift rods, so I didn't think I needed to lock everything into neutral position, but tell me if I'm wrong. It seems like I can reinstall the 3-4 bracket then just clip in the remaining rods and adjust at the end to make sure the column twists to the correct position. Am I missing anything?
Old April 27th, 2021, 04:43 AM

Bob, sorry no help but I just had to comment. I remember that clicking sound of the backdrive mechanism as my buddy put his 4speed 71 442 in reverse. IT WAS A COOL SOUND, oops, didn't mean to yell, but anyway I hadn't thought of that in a while...
Old August 11th, 2021, 04:00 PM

Just a quick follow up in case anyone does a search for back drive linkage on a 4-speed... I was concerned that taking off the replacement bolt holding the 3-4 shift linkage without locking the shifter in place would/could be an issue - it wasn't. Just put a wrench on it and remove it, replacing it with the proper extended bolt that has the post for the back drive linkage. Lock washer and a good hard turn was all I needed to do. Didn't matter that the shifter moved all over when I was loosening and tightening. Everything went easily into place. Pushed the shifter into reverse when it came time to connect and adjust the upper and lower rods. After that, everything worked perfectly, even the back up lights - which have been out since at least 1982. One thing I would caution is that the back drive linkage kits have the wrong size washers for the horizontal rod assembly with the spring, so you'll need to get those found before crawling under the car. Happy to say this was an easy project and something anyone can do if they want to get their 4-speed reverse lights working again. Also, pay attention to which side of the brackets the linkage connects to - I had mine on the wrong side for a few minutes as I tried to shift through the gears and it didn't work... Lastly - when you get done and want to row through the gears to make sure everything is smooth, don't forget you need your key in the ignition turned to on! Otherwise the shifter is locked in reverse, as it was designed!

Here is my linkage in place. You can see the larger washer needed on the right side. You need a matching one for the frame bracket.

Last edited by BSiegPaint; August 11th, 2021 at 04:07 PM.