General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Rear quarter power window issue

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2023, 09:08 PM

Rear quarter power window issue

My driver side power window won't close. The trim is off and I have lubed all rollers/guides. The motor works, it just immediately stalls on either up or down. I have tried helping it on the up mode but no good. Please help, as I would rather have the window up than down. '70 442 convertible. Problem solved. I inspected all rollers..they look good. I was able to lift the window on power to the closed position. This may not solved the problem but at least the window is up.

Last edited by Moegs; May 13th, 2023 at 09:25 PM. Reason: problem solved
Old May 13th, 2023, 01:45 AM

Might want to check the plastic rollers.
That's usually the problem especially on the rear windows.
Old May 21st, 2023, 08:00 AM

Sounds like it is binding up. try loosening the adjusters (just a few turns) and run it up and down. It might correct itself.
Old May 21st, 2023, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by oldsmobilejim
Sounds like it is binding up. try loosening the adjusters (just a few turns) and run it up and down. It might correct itself.
Thanks I'm still trying to find where it binds. I loosend the mounting screws and the adjuster, It's now up but binds/stops. The power is there but can't overcome the bind. I don't know, the rollers and guides look ok and I've lubed every moving part.
Old May 23rd, 2023, 08:54 AM

We are missing something. You do have front door glass out of the way, via door open or window rolled down. Your bottom adjuster is two adjusters in one. Gives the window in and out when rolling up and left and right. Boy it’s been a while. It does have a stop also. In regards to the motors you have a drive gear and a worm gear that is grease from the factory, that grease turns to putty over time. While you’re in there you might as well address that also. This has nothing to do with the problem your having.

Last edited by oldsmobilejim; May 23rd, 2023 at 09:02 AM.
Old May 23rd, 2023, 12:00 PM

We are missing something. You do have front door glass out of the way, via door open or window rolled down. Your bottom adjuster is two adjusters in one. Gives the window in and out when rolling up and left and right. Boy it’s been a while. It does have a stop also. In regards to the motors you have a drive gear and a worm gear that is grease from the factory, that grease turns to putty over time. While you’re in there you might as well address that also. This has nothing to do with the problem your having.
Thanks...I thought I replied, but can't find it. I have it solved..maybe. I loosened all adjusters and mounting bolts. Window now works great both up and down. I think I will slowly tighten each bolt one by one to see what's going on. How do you lube the motor without removing it?
Old May 24th, 2023, 05:59 AM

Okay, the driver glass and quarter glass are adjusted from the windshield back. Your driver glass is already done. This is a way to adjust the rear window. While your adjusters are loose and a quarter window is down. Raise and lock your top, close the door, and roll up the door window. Now start raising the quarter window watching and helping it along. You want to adjust the quarter window to the driver's glass while watching the seal at the roof line. So you're adjusting the rear glass to the driver door glass and the convertible top. This should do it. Tighten everything down.

In regards to the motor, you have to remove it. If the motor has been removed before you will see three holes to access the three bolts holding the motor to the window mechanics. If never removed you will see the three dimples which will need to be drilled. If you do not drill these holes you have to remove the glass, and hardware with the motor and then reinstall. Drilling these is the way a dealer would replace a power window motor. The doors are the same.

Last edited by oldsmobilejim; May 24th, 2023 at 06:11 AM.