General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Quadrajet Diagram

Search this Thread

Old December 2nd, 2020, 02:56 PM

Quadrajet Diagram

I recently picked up a late model Quadrajet that looked to be in rebuildable shape to install on my 65 cutlass with a 350 engine. The ID is 17084287 0794 HJT. I installed the rebuild kit (after cleaning out all the gunk) and changed the hot air choke to an electric choke and put it back the way I received it but I have several questions that I am hoping someone may know (I don't want to wait six weeks for Cliff Ruggles book to arrive).
1. Where does the bowl vent nipple go to?
2. What is the canister purge nipple used for and do I need it?
3. What is "unknown #1 used for or is it just another vacuum source?
4. The PCV canister I assume goes to the PCV valve in the valve cover, is there any difference between this port on the front and the empty port on the back? Is the rear port for the power brakes?
5. Unknown #3, is this yet another vacuum port ie the distributor vacuum advance?
6. Unknown #2, another vacuum port
7. Air cleaner heated air door, I assume this goes to the stock air cleaner but I will not have this, can I pick up the vacuum from a different source?
8. The Secondary Lockout has nothing controlling it. On another older Quadrajet it has an arm that locks out the opening of the secondary until the choke is off, was this removed for 1984?

Sorry for all the questions, just eager to get going. Thanks

Old December 2nd, 2020, 03:40 PM

I'll take a small crack and people can correct me.

1. Where does the bowl vent nipple go to?
Probably to the air cleaner. It's a vent, not a vacuum source needed thing.

2. What is the canister purge nipple used for and do I need it?
Probably goes to the charcoal canister which your 65 does not have

3. What is "unknown #1 used for or is it just another vacuum source?
Ported vacuum, that is probably the original vacuum advance for the distributor. It's considered better to run that on manifold, see later.

4. The PCV canister I assume goes to the PCV valve in the valve cover, is there any difference between this port on the front and the empty port on the back? Is the rear port for the power brakes?
No difference, and yes, that is power brakes port.

5. Unknown #3, is this yet another vacuum port ie the distributor vacuum advance?
Manifold vacuum looks like a late add for some emissions stuff. Can be used for things like AC vacuum cans.

6. Unknown #2, another vacuum port
That looks to be a vent over vacuum. Also, you're missing the hot blow off thing in the back middle.

7. Air cleaner heated air door, I assume this goes to the stock air cleaner but I will not have this, can I pick up the vacuum from a different source?
You can, if this is what it is, but this is thermostatically controlled, as in, it won't work like factory in other spots.

8. The Secondary Lockout has nothing controlling it. On another older Quadrajet it has an arm that locks out the opening of the secondary until the choke is off, was this removed for 1984?
Don't know, but don't assume anything off this carb, it is missing parts.
Old December 2nd, 2020, 04:00 PM

I don't have a vacuum diagram for a 1965 330, but that will likely hold the answers you need. I'm sure someone with the right doc will chime in. BTW that carb may work, but it is not correct for your car's original 330 CID engine. You say it is a 350. What engine do you actually have in the car? What is the VIN derivative number near cylinder 1?

Good Luck!

Whoops! Koda beat me to the punch.
Good Luck!
Old December 2nd, 2020, 04:54 PM

In the cars previous life the engine must have been replaced. It is definitely a 350 and there is no VIN derivative on the stamp pad or any other place that I can find. From the number on the heads #6 (403 859) it should be from 1969/70 or at least the heads are, hard to really tell what year the block is from other than the vague casting number (395558 2). The history of this car was totally lost so I am assuming it was a dealer replacement due to not having a VIN derivative.

I am not looking to put the car back to original, just a fun car to drive (in the summer of course as it is a vert) with a little more power and a few other safety updates.

Thanks for the reply.
Old December 2nd, 2020, 06:49 PM

1. Where does the bowl vent nipple go to? This goes to a bowl vent valve or canister depending on year.
2. What is the canister purge nipple used for and do I need it? Used to open the flow from the canister to purge vapor. Can be plugged if vehicle is not equipped with a canister
3. What is "unknown #1 used for or is it just another vacuum source? Varies by year/application, used for secondary air injection, transmission modulator, EFE valve
4. The PCV canister I assume goes to the PCV valve in the valve cover, is there any difference between this port on the front and the empty port on the back? Both are large manifold vacuum sources Is the rear port for the power brakes? Yes
5. Unknown #3, is this yet another vacuum port ie the distributor vacuum advance? This originally went to the air cleaner for the hot air door control
6. Unknown #2, another vacuum port The fresh air supply for the choke hot air tube connects here. This is not vacuum, it is open to the air cleaner
7. Air cleaner heated air door, I assume this goes to the stock air cleaner but I will not have this, can I pick up the vacuum from a different source? This is actually a secondary choke pull off. The vacuum nipple connects to a thermal vacuum switch in the side of the air cleaner housing
8. The Secondary Lockout has nothing controlling it. On another older Quadrajet it has an arm that locks out the opening of the secondary until the choke is off, was this removed for 1984? There is a small lever that pivots on a boss behind the air cleaner housing. It appears to be missing on this unit
Old December 2nd, 2020, 08:05 PM

Don't leave anything uncapped or plugged, even the hot air connection on the choke housing. It will draw in dirty air.
Old December 4th, 2020, 04:46 PM

Thanks to everyone for all the helpful information, it is much appreciated.

What a great group of guys in this forum!!!!!!!!!!