General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

puking gas from breather tube

Search this Thread

Old April 10th, 2015, 01:43 PM

puking gas from breather tube

so noticed today that Alice was puking some gas out of the breather tube that comes out of the front of her tank. She has the 2 hoses that come out of the tank, then it fits into an adapter case with some kind of material inside (im guessing a sponge like material). I pulled out that plastic piece, the spongy stuff just kind of fell apart and called up to the parts store, they didnt have anything and to order a replacement would be $35 with 7-10 days waiting time. They did how ever have some cotton like pad that you would put into the breather on the valve cover. I thought it would work but still seems to be pushing some of the gas out after she shuts off and settles for a few minutes. any thoughts on what to do with her?
Old April 10th, 2015, 02:59 PM
same but different

If you have gas contaminating your air breather and other areas, you have a sticking float in the carb.The carb probably has debris in the bowl causing the float to stick open and thus spilling fuel out the vent tube.

Specifically, the needle is not closing on the seat under pressure, because its not clean.

I'm hoping I read your post correctly, your choice of words are a bit confusing. I take it, that its gas and not diluted engine oil? Is that correct?
Old April 10th, 2015, 03:30 PM

I believe the OP is talking about the fuel tank vent and vapor separator

like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/69-70-71-Che...c8b0d7&vxp=mtr

Old April 10th, 2015, 05:25 PM

could have a mud wasp nest blocking it off they love little holes to go in
Old April 13th, 2015, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by 1969cutlass4d
so noticed today that Alice was puking some gas out of the breather tube that comes out of the front of her tank.
Have you replaced your tank with a reproduction? Some people have had troubles with their new tanks doing this. Otherwise, if it's the original tank, then you're probably just filling it too full.

Inside the tank, those two tubes run to opposite corners and are supposed to stay above the fuel level so that, no matter what angle the car is sitting, at least one of the tubes is not submerged. This then allows the tank to vent. The only way it can puke fuel is if both tubes are dipping into the fuel inside the tank. Or, I guess, it's possible that one tube is blocked and the other is below the fuel level.
Old April 13th, 2015, 05:52 PM
Lansing built

You could have filled the tank an a cold day and then when a 70 degree day comes along! Expansion! I have this happen to me at least one to two times a year.

Just yesterday mine snaped the tube that's 1/4" round and peeing gas when filled up. I modified the tube to go inside of the breather and epoxied around to get it to hold the hose till I have Fusick bring me one in June to Homecoming.

Pat
Old April 19th, 2015, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Octania
I believe the OP is talking about the fuel tank vent and vapor separator

like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/69-70-71-Che...c8b0d7&vxp=mtr

yes, that is exactly it. That little plastic is what i pulled off and what ever was suppose to be inside it just crumbled away, so i replaced it with a thick piece of filter and just stuffed it inside.

And no, i have no replaced the gas tank on this, it is the original like most everything else I have not gotten to yet.

So with the original tank I can not fill it full like more recent tanks?
Old April 20th, 2015, 03:19 PM

I hear more people having troubles with the reproduction tanks than the originals. But with either, you should not top it off. When the pump nozzle clicks off, stop filling. If that's what you're doing and it's still puking gas, then one or both of the tubes inside the tank could be plugged or one or both could be sagging down into the fuel.