General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Possible 1967 W-30

Search this Thread

Old August 2nd, 2014, 02:00 PM

Possible 1967 W-30

Dang!! Now I'm really confused. I just bought a 1967 Cutlass. 12 bolt alum fined cover rear sway bar, two piston front calipers, 4sp, buckets. The guy told me it was a W30 I think he said, but needed some decoding to really figure it out. I've been going by the cowl tag and just coming up with Cutlass Holiday coupe. So the vin in the dash will tell me everything? I would like to dig into the decoding as deep as possible. The interior has been redone so the build sheet behind the seat are nonexistent, didn't they also sometime put them on the gas tank before installing? Hope you guys can help me clear this up. Cool site by the way, always been a Chevelle guy, wanted to try something different
Old August 2nd, 2014, 02:19 PM
Randy C.

Like Joe said, just post your VIN and your cowl tag info here and people here will be glad to decode it for you in short order.

In '67, the 4-4-2 and the 4-4-2 W-30 were both options off of the Cutlass Supreme body style. And, if you have a W-30, it will have a forced-air system with scoops around the top and bottom of the front turn signal lights. As well, if you have any other documentation (dealer invoice, window sticker, order sheet, build sheet, etc.), they all go a long way in verifying that you really do have a W-30.

Randy C.
Old August 2nd, 2014, 02:19 PM

Post a picture of the vin and cowl tag on here and you will get your answers. Only just over 500 w-30's built in 67 so pretty darn rare. Can't proved them by the vin or cowl tag but can disprove it.

Last edited by lemoldsnut; August 2nd, 2014 at 03:04 PM.
Old August 2nd, 2014, 02:25 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by hilbily
Dang!! Now I'm really confused. I just bought a 1967 Cutlass. 12 bolt alum fined cover rear sway bar, two piston front calipers, 4sp, buckets. The guy told me it was a W30 I think he said, but needed some decoding to really figure it out.
Only the Cutlass Supreme was eligible for the 442 upgrades in 1967, so if your car's VIN starts out as 33807, 33817, or 33867 there's a possibility. Please post the Cowl tag - if the car is a 442, it will have a V in column 5 of the tag.

EDIT: Sorry I just saw you weren't the original poster on this thread. You should start your own thread so things don't get all mixed up here. Thanks.
Old August 2nd, 2014, 03:03 PM

It will have a V in the 5 spot to verify it is a 442 only if it was built at the Lansing plant. If it came from Fremont it will not have that V so proving it is a 442 gets much more dificult. However, If it is built at the Fremont plant it is not a W-30 for sure. They were only built at the Lansing plant.
Old August 2nd, 2014, 03:20 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Allan R
EDIT: Sorry I just saw you weren't the original poster on this thread. You should start your own thread so things don't get all mixed up here. Thanks.
Done. As Allan correctly points out, you hijacked someone else's thread, and while the topics were similar, the problem was that it caused confusion in responses to the O.P.'s question. I've extracted all the posts in that thread related to your question and started a new one for your car. Good luck decoding it.

Originally Posted by hilbily
Dang!! Now I'm really confused. I just bought a 1967 Cutlass. 12 bolt alum fined cover rear sway bar, two piston front calipers, 4sp, buckets. The guy told me it was a W30 I think he said, but needed some decoding to really figure it out. I've been going by the cowl tag and just coming up with Cutlass Holiday coupe. So the vin in the dash will tell me everything? I would like to dig into the decoding as deep as possible. The interior has been redone so the build sheet behind the seat are nonexistent, didn't they also sometime put them on the gas tank before installing? Hope you guys can help me clear this up. Cool site by the way, always been a Chevelle guy, wanted to try something different
"The guy" has told a lot of people a lot of incorrect information. As others have noted, all 1967 442s were based on the Cutlass Supreme and must have a Cutlass Supreme VIN (the first three characters would be 338...), not a Cutlass VIN. Also, all 1967 W-30s would have been built in Lansing, all came with O.A.I., and all came with red plastic inner fenders.
Old August 2nd, 2014, 06:09 PM

Now I'm really confused. I just bought a 1967 Cutlass. 12 bolt alum fined cover
=============
added after the factory, a cool addition. Might be a factory part or not. Proves nothing.

rear sway bar,
==============
not uncommon. Proves nothing.

two piston front calipers,
=================
?? You may have the rare FOUR piston calipers. Like Covettes of the era. precursor to the very common GM single piston design. Two more pistons are inboard. Again, proof of nothing except a good eye for options.

4sp, buckets.
================
Interesting but easily added by anyone. Proves.... you know.

The guy told me it was a W30 I think he said, but needed some decoding to really figure it out.
====================
Sellers will say anything while selling. Buyers will fail to hear "maybe" or "might be". Documentation is everything... and very rare for these vehicles.

I've been going by the cowl tag and just coming up with Cutlass Holiday coupe. So the vin in the dash will tell me everything? I would like to dig into the decoding as deep as possible.
=====================
Not so lucky for a '67 442 let alone W30.
Start with your actual VIN and body tag info- post all of it, text or photo.
Leave off the VIN last 6 if you like, for privacy.
Look in the glove box for the PROTECTO-PLATE - that would help a lot.
The VIN and body tag may not prove 442-ness or W-ness but they might rule it out... as mentioned above- W30's were only built in Lansing, though 442's were built in other plants as well.

The interior has been redone so the build sheet behind the seat are nonexistent, didn't they also sometime put them on the gas tank before installing?
=================
Corvettes did that. Lansing built GM cars, your last hope was probably under a seat or behind a door panel or whatnot. And, that broadcast card is precious little documentation unless it has a VIN or body # and "W30" or similar on it. Exceedingly rare to find documentation on such a car.

Always been a Chevelle guy, wanted to try something different
==================
So far so good
I won't hold the Chevelle thing against you.
We all attain enlightenment differently.
:-)
I am a closet Mopar Hemi fan.

Last edited by Octania; August 2nd, 2014 at 06:14 PM.