General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Passenger Window Track

Search this Thread

Old February 16th, 2011, 05:35 PM
1955 Oldsmobile Super 88

Passenger Window Track

Hello everyone, Ok my passenger window has come off it's track (rail), I opened the door panel up and noticed that the track where the window use to sit in, is totally rusted out and is not attached to anything anymore, with exception to this rubber molding flap and it must kept the window in this track tight, it's only 19 inches in length. There is also a device called the regulator which is attached to a bar that almost looks like a kitchen draw slider which I think the track came off of. Not sure if this was attached to the rail or not.

I'm a rookie when it comes to car repairs. So my question is, where can I get the parts to replace this track that the window sits in and how does it all go together? Anybody have a illustration for idots to show me what piece go where and how they are attached please. It's a 1955 Oldsmobile Super 88 four door as shown in my profile, I'm just now getting it ready to put back on the road again.

Is there still anybody that would have the parts that I need or know who I could speak to in getting this fixed. I'm in Mill Bay British Columbia Canada. I really need the window to be operational or I'll never be taking it out during any kind of bad weather. Please I need some help and assistance here, have no idea how the window system works nor how it all goes back together.
Pat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Window Rail.jpg (38.5 KB, 11 views)
Window Rail 3.jpg (51.8 KB, 10 views)
Window Rail 2.jpg (38.6 KB, 9 views)
Window Rail 1.jpg (39.7 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Benny; February 16th, 2011 at 10:58 PM.
Old March 8th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

Benny,

I'm in the process of replacing a window on the exact same car - I'll take some photos this weekend and post them. The glass fits in that channel with 'glass setting tape' I believe - just presses in firmly. The tape can be purchased at body shop supply or Steele Rubber has is. I'll look at mine and see how it all fits together - didn't realize the rubber boot / water deflector was also embedded in that channel. Feel free to PM me also.

Gordon